Thread: Best, reasonably priced kicker mount/steering set up?

Default Best, reasonably priced kicker mount/steering set up?

Guys I'm wanting to mount a Honda 8hp (84 lbs) kicker to the Starcraft. What's the best flip-down bracket at a decent price?
    OMC makes a great hydraulic 4/stroke bracket, but for $700, I'll pass. Is it all about the Gerilick?

Also looking for the steering linkage---right now I'm running a 135hp black max. It'll be a O/b to O/b setup........what's the best bang for the buck?

I am not sure how your transom is set up, but I have a friend with a 22 foot searunner with the standard transom. He has a 15 hp clamped on right next to the main. He just cranks up the kicker, sets the speed, and steers with the main. It works surprisingly well. That would be the cheapest way if your transom has the space.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I am not sure how your transom is set up, but I have a friend with a 22 foot searunner with the standard transom. He has a 15 hp clamped on right next to the main. He just cranks up the kicker, sets the speed, and steers with the main. It works surprisingly well. That would be the cheapest way if your transom has the space.

This is exactly how my hewes is as well. Works great, costs no extra money.

yep, thats the plan...I'm wondering about brand specifics for a mount and steering set up.
    I have a Gil bracket for the main motor and no space for a kicker. I need to purchase a mount.

I looked back at some of your previous posts and found a picture of it. It appears to be an aluminum mount, right? How about having a heavy piece of aluminum stock welded to the existing bracket? Another friend with a 26 hewes did that with his 9.9 and it has worked out well. It may be cheaper to just purchase a pre-made kicker mount, though. Good looking boat by the way.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.