Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Negligent discharge? Man up!

Unhappy Negligent discharge? Man up!

Ok, I have run my suck several times on this forum in an effort to promote my self as a reasonably capable gun guy. What I have never done is told any of you about the stupid and just plain negligent discharges I have been the cause of. In 1973 a friend asked me to stop by and open the action on his .410 pump shot gun. Twice we discussed the fact that he knew it was not loaded. It would not open. I said lets go out side and press the trigger, he said just point it to the floor and do it cause he tried it and it won't work. Well it worked for me and was loud as hell. Glad it was an old house with a crawl space. His wife hated me for shooting a hole in her kitchen floor. This was my fault and a negligent discharge. I knew better and intentionally pulled the trigger. Another time in the early 70's I was hunting the snow shoe hair with a Colt Woodsmen .22. As it was winter I was wearing gloves and darn near shot my foot because I had my finger on the trigger while the pistol was dangling at my side. What an idiot. My fault and a negligent discharge. After a caribou hunt back in the 60's I watched my Dad clear his Mod. 70 .264 Win Mag. in our house in Spenard. For some reason he stepped out side to point it in the air and dry fire it. You should have seen the look on his face. Everyone in the neighborhood probably thought it was another " Spenard Divorce Court" in session! As I have aged I have come to realize there really are very few accidental shootings, they are negligent discharges/shootings that could have been prevented by training and proper gun handling. That includes me. There is no excuse for me to ever have another one. If your a new shooter learn from our mistakes. Trust me, I'm not the only one who has had a negligent discharge. Ok guys, lets hear it...........

this happened this winter. Went out for a day of rabbits when I got back to the truck went to unload my 410 and I always pump it one extra time after the last shell falls out and dry fire it. Every thing was like normal and put the gun in the back window of my car made it to the end of the trail and it went off. Shot out two windows and lots of plastic. Scared the crap out of me and my buddy. Took the gun home and was trying to find out what went wronge the shell sat in the gun about have of what it should have. So it didn't grab that shell and fireing pin didn't hit It all the way when I was outing the gun away.

I know I should have looked inside the gun to make sure of that it was clear. Also just glance at ammo befor you load it into your gun.
    Luckly the only thing that was hurt on this day were a few rabbits , and the car.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I have a 22 hole in my enclosed trailer roof... good buddy...( forum member) cycled bolt looked and squeezed trigger... 10-22 went off in roof.

as a kid i shot my moms new Jen air unloading my 7mm.. walked in from moose hunting, and sister was there with her BF. he went to grab my rifle and i took it from him to unload it. pushed the safety off and away she went... turning away from every one is second nature to me. after the beating dad gave me once for being unsafe. mom Jen Arie lost the plugs off the back of it. took me two days to find where it went. the bullet slid across the counter top in through the trim and took every plug off the burners and grill.. I was house sitting for the folks and was able to get it fixed before they got home... but was not allowed in for a few weeks after.

one other time my 45/70 went off unloading it. just running the lever to eject them all before packing it in the truck...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

After a long life with firearms and never a negligent discharge, I shot a hole in my Craftsman toolbox in my garage with my Ruger 22-45 last year. Scared the bejesus out of me. Amazingly, not one of several people in the house heard it or recognized it as a shot.

Reminds me of my Dad who negligently discharged his 38 special in his garage as an older man (shot his bicycle), and who (years before) was nearly hit with a 38 round that my uncle discharged at my Gramma's house.

It happens, but I'll be super vigilant to see that it doesn't happen to me again.

There are two kinds of people in the firearms world - those who HAVE had an ND and those who WILL.

I've had two, but the stories will have to wait for when I have more time to paint the picture.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Question move to shooting forum?

Ak. Mud or another moderator, could you please move this thread to the "Shooting Forum"?

I've had one..I killed a couch..

I had a troublesome worn out Colt Highway Patrol .357 I was test firing it in the yard and shot 5 rounds (thought it was 6) I ejected the shells and it skipped over the unshot one (never seen that before). I went inside and dry fired it to try and figure out why the cylinder was hanging up in rotation and BANG..that one live round nailed my mom's couch. It hit just right and I was able to sew up the hole. She didn't find out for 5 years or so..LOL.. I certainly learned a lesson from that and it has effected my gun handling ever since.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

many years ago was done checking my trap line so I took my little generic 22 revolver off my belt and laid it on the seat of my truck. An hour or so later was back in town at a buddies house standing outside my rig tossed my liter soda into the truck as soon as it hit my seat BANG, could never find the lead but WILL NEVER keep a round in the cylinder in the tube! I have had smiths tell me that was a fluke and it shouldn't have happened BUT it did and it never will again, my 6 shooter's will only ever have 5 hot one's ever in it, if I can't take it out with 5 rounds guess I'm in trouble
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Two for me in the past 30+ years.

The first one was when I was 17 with my first pistol, a Ruger Single Six .22lr. I can't believe I either didn't check to see it was loaded or did and missed the one round in the gun. I'm glad that enough of my firearms training stuck so that as I was "dry firing" I pointed only at things not people or pets. Blew my Mother's favorite lamp to bits, which she still reminds me about. I was so scared at the time that I threw up!

The second time was while clearing a .45 in my truck, blew a hole in the floor. I was 33.

Safety training works! In both cases, while I didn't want the gun to fire, I was pointing the weapon in a safe direction.

God bless Jeff Cooper, "Never point your weapon at something you're not willing to destroy".

I have one, I'm 21 and have been handling firearms since I was 8 or so. I was raised to never point a gun at anything that I don't want to shoot.

My friends and I were out shooting last year with my Saiga 12. I put 10 rounds in one of my magazines and I thought I counted 10, so while I was walking away I dry-fired it at the ground and I **** near blew my foot off. Stupidest thing I have ever done, hands down. I now always, ALWAYS check the chamber and make sure I'm clear.

Years ago. (SD) Stupid Discharge

Late for work.
    Just got out of the shower and had wet hands.
    Just put on my duty belt and uniform.
    Needed to chamber a round in my Seecamp coverted 1911.
    Used my left hand for some reason while eating a piece of toast with right hand.
    1911 slips while dropping slide,
    Left hand tries to catch.
    Trigger pulled....
    Very loud noise in kitchen.
    185 grain WW Silvertip goes through sheet-rock wall, insulation and T-111 exterior.
    Then dead center down my driveway.
    End up deaf as a doornail for the next few hours.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I am almost 60 years old and pride myself on being careful, I was at a friends house for duck hunting pulled out my Remington 1100 to check it out and found a shell in the shotgun.

The disbelief and the look on my face priceless. You can never say never and you are never to old to learn

I can remember an out of stater who came to Iowa bird hunting. He couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel. Well his million dollar bird dog broke point and flushed a rooster before he was ready. The guy shot three times at the rooster and didn't pull a feather. He had a fit what would equal a bad case of road rage and pointed the gun at his dog and screamed you @^*#@$) mutt your lucky this gun is empty or youd be dead. Then he dry fired and killed the pooch. You can take your duck plug out when hunting pheasants in Iowa and he had! Nope he didn't hunt with us anymore and Grandpa didn't let him marry Aunt Betty either!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    ... His wife hated me for shooting a hole in her kitchen floor.
    I can only imagine,,,,

I'm glad you guys went first so here goes... Only had one N/S/D and it happened about a month or so ago. I just got my Rem 700 Sendero 300 RUM and was cycling cartridges through it because it was not ejecting real well. So iwas getting the feel of what kind of action to put on the bolt to get the cartridge out. Well...... someone knocked at the door, and instead of empting the rifle, I leaned it in the corner (stupid thing to do). After seeing off the visitor, I got occuied with something else for a little while, then I went back and grabbed the gun to work the trigger a little. I totally forgot that the rifle was loaded and squeezed the trigger. WOW! Talk about surprized The muzzle was pointed up at about a 45 degree angle. Put a hole in the ceiling and roof

Good thread... it shows how easy it is to be negligent or distracted and how important it is to concentrate on what you are doing and where your muzzle is pointing. Always treat a gun as if it were loaded.

I don't have time to go into details, and am not sure about statute of limitations, as no one was made aware of "alleged" ad. 10-12 years ago.

Let's just say that if one is going to do gunsmithing at home, make sure that you do it when you are well rested and 100% focused. End of a long week, Friday night, I wanted to tweak the trigger on my super blackhawk 44 mag. Work was done and gun was put away. I'd been reading sixguns by Keith about how only unloaded guns are dangerous, so I loaded the gun when I put it away.

Remember it was late, and I was tired. I was pretty happy with my trigger job, so wanted to dry fire it just one more time. Shall I mention I forgot to make sure the gun was empty before that dry firing session? I imagine I had a pretty shocked look on my face staring at the 44 cal hole in the drywall, and wondering if there was a 44 hole in my truck, and maybe the side of the garage.

Fortunately they were light loads, two sheetrock walls and it ended up in the electrical breaker box. It literally passed between the wires and did no damage other than leaving a healthy dent in the breaker box, and a well flattened lead slug. But the impact was hard enough to trip several breakers, including the one for the garage lights, so it took a mad dash to locate a flashlight, assertain the damage, then find a putty knife and filler pronto.

On the up side, I have been fastiduous about checking every gun I handle, every time I handle it to make sure it is empty. I've also made sure the kids have that lesson well and goodly implanted into their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Good thread... it shows how easy it is to be negligent or distracted and how important it is to concentrate on what you are doing and where your muzzle is pointing. Always treat a gun as if it were loaded.
    Yes, this is a great thread. It's like Catholics going to confession. It's a good opportunity to learn.

I was a young teen hunting deer on my dads property, in the rain and I was tired of getting rained on so I thought I was smart and just sit in the old farm truck and overwatch a pasture.

I was hunting with a Model 94 30-30, had it laid across my lap with the muzzle pointing towards the driver door. Did I mention I (stupidly) had a round in the chamber?

Well, boredom overtook me and I starting going from half cock, to cock, half cock to cock, over and over again until BOOOOOOOOOM! Guess what, my finger slipped. It took a while before I had the guts to look down and make sure that muzzle was past my left thigh, and thankfully it was. Man did my ears ring, I had all the windows closed, and was it loud!

Hmmm, where did that bullet go, I thought. I finally found a teeny tiny hole in the plastic door trim, not so bad, Dad will never notice that..... Now the outside, Wow, it looked like someone punched a funnel through the door from the inside out. Sheet metal all punched out and a big hole all frayed back. I'm thinking how did that happen through plastic and thin sheet metal. Then I realized the bullet passed through the big gear of the window regulator and that expanded the bullet big time.

Have you ever used Bondo in the rain? Not easy...

Default 2 good ones, 2 boring

Mine is not too exciting....a very expensive double trigger rifle surprised me once.

Good ones:
    #1. Former boss hated John Elway. He cleaned his Ruger 22 target pistol, oiled it, worked the action, dry fired a few times while aiming at objects in the room then laid it down on the table beside his lazy boy. While watchimg his team losing in the superbowl, and after several drinks he didn't remember loading it. He picked it up and played with a few more times then aimed at Elway's image on the TV and pulled the trigger. Imploded his TV in his living room. A few years before, while caribou hunting and using his truck as a rest, he vaporized his Dodge Ram hood ornament then turned around with a confused look and asked "did I get him".

#2 I wasn't there when it happened, but was shown the holes in the walls a few months afterwards.
    Khandhar Afghanistan 2003, an M16 is accidentally discharged in the Air Force compound. The bullet went through 2 walls in a portable building and then "horsefly bit" an officer in the neck then fell in his lap, they said that he grabbed it and it burned his fingers.

At age 11 and 12, while criossing a barbed wire fence while deer hunting, my 12 month older brother shot a .410 slug into the ground a foot behind my heel. Dad didn't let him hunt the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Ok, I have run my suck several times on this forum in an effort to promote my self as a reasonably capable gun guy. What I have never done is told any of you about the stupid and just plain negligent discharges I have been the cause of. In 1973 a friend asked me to stop by and open the action on his .410 pump shot gun. Twice we discussed the fact that he knew it was not loaded. It would not open. I said lets go out side and press the trigger, he said just point it to the floor and do it cause he tried it and it won't work. Well it worked for me and was loud as hell. Glad it was an old house with a crawl space. His wife hated me for shooting a hole in her kitchen floor. This was my fault and a negligent discharge. I knew better and intentionally pulled the trigger. Another time in the early 70's I was hunting the snow shoe hair with a Colt Woodsmen .22. As it was winter I was wearing gloves and darn near shot my foot because I had my finger on the trigger while the pistol was dangling at my side. What an idiot. My fault and a negligent discharge. After a caribou hunt back in the 60's I watched my Dad clear his Mod. 70 .264 Win Mag. in our house in Spenard. For some reason he stepped out side to point it in the air and dry fire it. You should have seen the look on his face. Everyone in the neighborhood probably thought it was another " Spenard Divorce Court" in session! As I have aged I have come to realize there really are very few accidental shootings, they are negligent discharges/shootings that could have been prevented by training and proper gun handling. That includes me. There is no excuse for me to ever have another one. If your a new shooter learn from our mistakes. Trust me, I'm not the only one who has had a negligent discharge. Ok guys, lets hear it...........
    Back in the 70's my Grandfather went out at midnight new years to fire off a clip in a .22 Colt Huntsman. He was a large man with fat fingers and he ND a round while holding the gun next to his waist. The bullet entered his pants pocket but he had a coin purse full of quarters that stopped the bullet. Nothing but a big bruise. I now have this gun and am very careful with it. I know I shouldn't say this, but in 28 years of handling guns I haven't had a ND.

Back in the mid 70s I was checking for new calves in the springer cow pasture at our ranch in Arizona. Suns just up and I am driving my new Dodge Powerwagon along the fence line in compound when I see a coyote shopping for our babies and I think . . . dead dog!! I grab the 30-06 700 Rem from the back window and cycle the bolt to do the dead but as the bolt shut it sent a round through the A pillar of my 6 week old truck and gave a ring in the ear that I have to this day. Replaced the windshield and installed a spotlight in the hole as well as still getting teased over the fit I pitched, it was the first new truck I ever had!

1969 we had too many roosters and Grandpa bet us $1 per shot we could not head shoot them with a 22 revolver. My brother and I were each up about $6 when I took a shot and Grandpa starts squealing like a pig with words I wonít type here. The revolver had shaved the bullet and the shaving went backwards into his ear as he stood shoulder to shoulder with me. Game over and gun retired!!

There have been others like that, mostly when closing a bolt and thatís why I donít like them much.

My best dumb hot head guy story is from the 80s. I went firewood cutting and a guy from work tagged along to get himself a load with his truck, an older Chevy. Well in the woods his truck developed a started problem so it would just go zzzzzing when he turned the key, but after 6 or 8 tries it would go. Late in the very hot day of working hard and battling his truck it was time to go home and his truck went zzzzzzing! This guy blew his top, jumped out with a 44mag I had no clue he had and emptied it into the drivers fender of his own truck then chucked the gun at the windshield!!

Completely stunned I got in my truck with the wife and said ďIíll send a tow truck out from town for you, see ya!!Ē Never hung with him anymore!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast