Thread: Help with Reel Repair

Unhappy Help with Reel Repair

While performing routine maintenance on my Abu Garcia Cardinal 104 spinning reel, the tiny spring pin that places tension on the antireverse switch popped off. Now I can't seem to figure out how to reattached it.

The spring is labelled as Part #29 in the schematic posted at:
    http://www.abugarcia.com/view_schema...d=226.227.653#

Any advice or assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Default Tackle repair shop

There is a great shop at Arctic and International (don't remember the name). The guys treated me well and fixed my reel and all for a fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    There is a great shop at Arctic and International (don't remember the name). The guys treated me well and fixed my reel and all for a fair price.
    Second that.I just took 5 reels in last week. They had them done in a couple of days. Very nice guys in there.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Bobs reel repair 315-1581 in the valley off Hyer Area. He serviced 6 of my reels, changed all drags, fixed 2 level winds that were seriously messed up. Total bill was 187.00 Basic service charge was 20 bucks a reel. I was very pleased. Took 5 days to get them back. He has my future business.

The one on Arctic and International is the Tackle Repair Center. Sure seem like nice guys but they he wouldn't work on my stuff. He said the Okuma Reels are a piece of junk and they can't get parts. Not to say anything bad about those guys, they were very nice and informative, they just can't get parts for Okuma reels. Anyone know where I can get Okuma reels worked on in Anchorage?

Check this out. It might be of some help. www.mikesreelrepair.com They have parts and online schematics for lots of reels. Hope this helps.

Anyone know where I can get Okuma reels worked on in Anchorage?[/QUOTE]

There are no Okuma repair centers in Anchorage but two down on the peninsula. These are listed Okuma authorized repair centers.

Alaska
    BIG BOB'S WORRIED FISH TACKLE & REPAIR - 41437 STERLING HWY, SOLDOTNA, AK 99669 (907) 262-0499
    TAG'S REEL REPAIR - P.O. BOX 39021, NANILCHIK, AK 99639-0021 (907) 567-1098

Thanks for the info. I'll check those places out. I don't really want to spend several hundred dollars right now on a couple reels. Maybe in a couple months but not right now.

So I hate to rehash this subject again but I went in to the Tackle Repair Shop in Anchorage today to get the mounting hardwear for my halibut reels. I also brought a Daiwa reel with me that needed a part for the level wind. Anyway, they didn't have the parts for the Daiwa. Then the had to dig around for parts for mounting my reels, found some stuff that turned out bent up and stripped, and then these parts for $30. Seems awful expensive for a couple screws, nuts, and metal bracket for 2 reels.

Anyway, just seems like there's got to be a better place. Where do folks get their reels worked on or where do they get parts? Does everyone order over the web?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Check this out. It might be of some help. www.mikesreelrepair.com They have parts and online schematics for lots of reels. Hope this helps.
    I have used Mike's a number of times. Very friendly service and had everything I needed. Prompt service, too.

The Tackle Repair Center (Arctic) fellows seem to be pretty knowledgeable and my experience there is positive. I've brought in a lot of reels of different makes (for cleaning mostly) and they've always treated me right. I will second what "patrickL" said about the Okumas. Quite a few years ago I had four of these (Convectors?) that I broke my own rule in buying (cheap). After two trips, two of them lost their "drag". I took them in and the fellow there told me the same thing. "They're junk, can't get parts", etc. I guess I already knew they were junk. Anyway, I guess you could say they're consistent in their opinion.

So then where did you go to get the right parts and they had them all pat??

I haven't gotten any of my reels fixed yet. B&Js recommended Bob's Reel Repair in the Valley but I have yet to get up there. I tried calling to see about getting parts but didn't get ahold of anyone. I'm going to try again this week so I'll let you know.

Anyone have any better ideas for a local spot in Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    I haven't gotten any of my reels fixed yet. B&Js recommended Bob's Reel Repair in the Valley but I have yet to get up there. I tried calling to see about getting parts but didn't get ahold of anyone. I'm going to try again this week so I'll let you know.

Anyone have any better ideas for a local spot in Anchorage?
    Bob with Bob's Reel Repair lives in the Valley but works at Anchorage International Airport. I'd call him and maybe you can coordinate a drop off. He did my reels last year, and he is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Bob with Bob's Reel Repair lives in the Valley but works at Anchorage International Airport. I'd call him and maybe you can coordinate a drop off. He did my reels last year, and he is very good.
    Yeah, he's a good guy, so I'm sure he'd go out of his way to help you.