Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: African Carry??

Default African Carry??

Along with the rather heated chambered/not chambered debate, what do you think of the over the shoulder muzzle forward carry. This often seen carry of double and other guns in African shows. What do you think of that? Safe, unsafe? It is very comfortable way to carry heavy guns and mostly we do not have a sling on a rifle when in thick pucker brush or when closing in on lion.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default lion

I dont think its used when closing on Lion, I do carry that way at times but only when Im alone and on a good trail, in steep or rough country its not a comfortable carry position.

If I'm in front, I've been known to carry that way.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It looks they're being macho.

It would be awkward and unnatural for me, but I spose I could get used to it if were advantageous.

As to safety, maybe they're making sure that when they trip and fall the barrel is pointed down.

I also wonder how easily it could be put into action.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The only time I ever do that is with a brake action and it's open. Guns that don't bend are not comfortable like that for me.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I carry mine like a squad with M4's close with the barrel down to the left. It allows quick off hand shots.

Ron

I have been carrying like that for years. It is the most comfortable carry position to me that still keeps my hand on the rifle. A sling can be comfortable but they are much to slow to go to action off the shoulder. With a downward motion of the hand on the barrel the rifle does a front flip of sorts (always with at least one hand on it) and its ready to fire quickly. Perhaps not as quickly as the two hands in front carry but my hands/arms are much less fatigued after hours of hiking.

I also find that if I am scrambling/off balance and in positions where you might normally reflexively put your hands on the ground in front of you that I am much less likely to damage a gun when I have my hand above my shoulder like that. When I have carried them two handed or in one hand by my side it seems that hand with the gun goes to the ground just a quickly as the empty one. A few scratched stocks prove it.

With the gun on your shoulder like that it is almost as if it gets the same instinctive attention you give your head. You don't have to really think about keeping your head from hitting things. The gun in that position benefits accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I have been carrying like that for years. It is the most comfortable carry position to me that still keeps my hand on the rifle. A sling can be comfortable but they are much to slow to go to action off the shoulder. With a downward motion of the hand on the barrel the rifle does a front flip of sorts (always with at least one hand on it) and its ready to fire quickly. Perhaps not as quickly as the two hands in front carry but my hands/arms are much less fatigued after hours of hiking.

I also find that if I am scrambling/off balance and in positions where you might normally reflexively put your hands on the ground in front of you that I am much less likely to damage a gun when I have my hand above my shoulder like that. When I have carried them two handed or in one hand by my side it seems that hand with the gun goes to the ground just a quickly as the empty one. A few scratched stocks prove it.

With the gun on your shoulder like that it is almost as if it gets the same instinctive attention you give your head. You don't have to really think about keeping your head from hitting things. The gun in that position benefits accordingly.
    Egg-Zackly!

It is comfortable for me and I do like to carry that way. You hold the gun at the point that balances against the weight of your arm. Works well. And you're right the muzzle seems to follow the turn of the head. Here again we need to be walking point, up front or you might sweep others with the muzzle. Muzzle control is always important. I like the carry and I think it looks cool, ok Smitty, macho. It is also quick to bring to bear with a quick down ward pull, it flips the butt up and you grab with the other hand. It does lessen the fatigue of the arms for a long day with a heavy gun and this makes for a better shot.

I showed some 11 year old kids some pictures of me carrying various guns in different positions and asked if each was a safe carry. Most said this wasn't safe, mostly because the muzzle was so close to the face. Maybe so.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

In many ways I don't care what carry a person prefers as long as they have control and are conscious of where the muzzle is pointed....even in a safe carry position, if a guy doesn't lift it up when he turns to talk to someone...it's still dangerous.

That said, I've never tried that carry style, but see nothing wrong with it either...especially if you are in front.

And would the muzzle be any closer to your head than a shortbarreled gun on a sling?

When in African "PUCKER" country, "THICK" bush or "APPROACHING" lions I "ALWAYS" have both hands on my rifle at "ALL" times and "NO" sling.

When spot and stalk hunting in the mountains of the lower 48 I carry my rifle in both hands and if it is thick no sling.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It's a nice way to carry when no one is in front of you or your gun is unloaded and there is no impending action. The best advice with gun carrying/safety is do what you know or what you are comfortable with.

Default Terminology?

Someone's gonna have to explain what you guys mean by "African Carry"... as the muzzle shouldn't be anywhere near your face, nor in a position where you'd cover anyone in front of you.

African Carry is slung over the support side shoulder, but inverted from the norm. The muzzle is pointed down and the butt stock is up at your shoulder. The only muzzle control issue is that you can easily cover your support side foot while walking. The other caution is that if you kneel down, you will drive the muzzle into the ground.

The advantage of the African Carry is that it is extremely fast to get the gun into a shooting position, especially when compared to the American Carry... slung muzzle up on the strong side shoulder. With the African Carry, the support side hand grabs the forestock and pulls it forward while naturally rotating the gun to the correct orientation. The strong side hand comes across and grabs the handgrip, and then pull the butt stock across into the shoulder. You're in a shooting stance just as fast as you can draw a pistol from a holster.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default African carry

I guess you will always be aware of where the muzzle is pointing that way.
    I sometimes carry my o/u shotgun that way when it is broke open. I never carried a rifle like that. Never really thought about it.

Do I carry my rifle on top of my shoulder with the muzzle pointed forward? Yes, I do. I find it very comfortable on long hikes.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Someone's gonna have to explain what you guys mean by "African Carry"... as the muzzle shouldn't be anywhere near your face, nor in a position where you'd cover anyone in front of you.

African Carry is slung over the support side shoulder, but inverted from the norm. The muzzle is pointed down and the butt stock is up at your shoulder. The only muzzle control issue is that you can easily cover your support side foot while walking. The other caution is that if you kneel down, you will drive the muzzle into the ground.

The advantage of the African Carry is that it is extremely fast to get the gun into a shooting position, especially when compared to the American Carry... slung muzzle up on the strong side shoulder. With the African Carry, the support side hand grabs the forestock and pulls it forward while naturally rotating the gun to the correct orientation. The strong side hand comes across and grabs the handgrip, and then pull the butt stock across into the shoulder. You're in a shooting stance just as fast as you can draw a pistol from a holster.
    You're right. That African carry from the civil unrest days of post colonial Africa which came with the FN-FAL permeating that part of the world (1960's to 1970's) and it is very fast to the shoulder. I carry short rifles that way and prefer it especially in the brushy country. That has been re-named as the Scout Carry and is shown in Cooper's book "The Art of the Rifle" and shows the correct use of the scout sling. The muzzle down slung, over the off hand shoulder (left for us right-handers) is a quick grab of the forend with the left hand, where it will be for the shot and rotate the rifle to the shoulder with the added stability of the sling still wrapped over the left arm. I can cycle the action quickly on the way up also.

But no, I meant carrying the rifle unslung, over the strong side shoulder with the shooting hand holding the barrel/forend and the muzzle forward. This is what you have seen in the movies when Dennis Finch-Hatton stopped the train to off load ivory in Out of Africa. The Ph carry his double gun that way and it is comfortable way to carry heavy double guns of bolt guns. The muzzle may be as close as 16-20" in front of you, pointed forward, depending on balance point.

Default I have carried this way

I have used this carry method when wading as it keeps the gun dry ,both with rifles and shotguns !
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

You're right. That African carry from the civil unrest days of post colonial Africa which came with the FN-FAL permeating that part of the world (1960's to 1970's) and it is very fast to the shoulder. I carry short rifles that way and prefer it especially in the brushy country. That has been re-named as the Scout Carry and is shown in Cooper's book "The Art of the Rifle" and shows the correct use of the scout sling. The muzzle down slung, over the off hand shoulder (left for us right-handers) is a quick grab of the forend with the left hand, where it will be for the shot and rotate the rifle to the shoulder with the added stability of the sling still wrapped over the left arm. I can cycle the action quickly on the way up also.
    I always wondered what that was called. I had a friend call that the "NATO" carry. I carried my HK91 that way in my more bear paranoid years.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You can usually tell if a double rifle has seen a lot of use if the bluing is worn off the barrels where the hand goes. I've seen photos of several PH guns that are nearly bare steel on the right barrel and top from sweat and abrasion.

I think most bolt guns have barrels that are too skinny to get a decent grip on, however I did on occasion carry my .375 and a bull barrelled .308 that way when solo hunting. It would be nerve wrecking in a group IMHO.

Very comfortable over distance with heavy rifles and tends to keep optics and actions out of wet brush.

In the field, I usually employ the time-tested Milky Way carry:

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default This HURTS.

I keep thinking you guys CAN'T BE SERIOUS, to suggest that carrying a rifle like that is FASTER than on your shoulder with a sling. Well, maybe,,,, if you're trying to bang something with the rifle butt. (I couldn't resist saying that.)

I've practiced, and with the my rifle slung from EITHER shoulder it is VERY FAST.

My hand, left or right is always under the sling, and I simply push it out tightly, and if from my Left Shoulder,,,,,

I grab the gun at the pistol grip, and off the shoulder grabbing the forend with my Left hand.

If from the Right Shoulder, I just grab the forend first, and SameO, SameO.

I can only imagine the switcheroos neccessary to get a rifle into firing position when I've got the thing over my shoulder hanging onto the barrel.

I like to think I have an open mind, but honestly this is my reaction, and of course, my only possible conclusion. This is, of course based solely on my own experience.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast