Thread: Gameking Performance ? - 215gr .338

Default Gameking Performance ? - 215gr .338

Anyone used the 215gr .338 bullet on game?

It wasn't my first choice, but it shoots quite good from my 33806, I'm thinking of using it for Black Bear this spring.

Thanks in advance -

Nate

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh it will do the job.. i shot my first black bear with a 338... with 200 gr SP. at 120 yards...

cost me an extra 200 bucks to have the far leg sewn back on...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Smile well....

I'm sure it will kill your black bear, especially on a lung shot. It is not a bullet that is thought of when one thinks of a tough deep penetrating bullet. The .338-06 has the ability to launch that type of bullet though. It does not seem to be a popular bullet with most of the hunters on this forum. I do believe a Nosler Partition or Barnes X in 210 or 225 grain weight would be a better choice. I really think the critters we shoot deserve the best bullet we can afford. Most guns will shoot more then one type of bullet to acceptable hunting accuracy standards. So I would keep that in mind and ask myself when thinking of group size over bullet performance, just how small is the bear were shooting at?

The gamekings have no special process of bonding the core to the jacket. I mean......you could get a speet hot-cor classic style bullet that would probably cost the same and at least hold together better than a game king. The violent upset of a game king when driven at the velocities your rifle is able to throw them at would prob. not be the greatest choice. If you had a bad angle, the chance of wounding the bear and causing suffering would not be worth the savings. If you are looking for a bullet that holds up well for a very good deal.......look at either the speer hot-cor, or even better......the speer mag tips, if you can still find them. The idea of pooring molten lead into a jacket, regardless of jacket's thickness is just a great idea that actually works, unlike the hornady "interlock" bullet that seperated from the core and turned a bunch of meat on the shoulder of my moose to jelly.

I'm a big fan of the Sierras and Hornady's bullets. That is all I use... I use 225 Hornady interlock in my 338 and 180gr interlocks in my 308 norma mag. I use 225gr Sierra boatail gamekings in my 358 and 154gr hornady's in my 7mm-08 and all have killed with out a bullet failure. The next bullet I woulduse is a partition can't go wrong with those either.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I should add the load in question was chrony'd at 2500 fps. Somewhat lower than the 338 win mag velocities. I do agree with the earlier poster on his assessment of 'cup and core' bullets.

The other 2 loads I happen to have on hand are a 180gr Accubond @ 2700 fps, and a 250gr Partition at 2350 fps. Would you be concerned about excessive expansion with the former, or insufficient expansion with the later?

Nate

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by nrc View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

I should add the load in question was chrony'd at 2500 fps. Somewhat lower than the 338 win mag velocities. I do agree with the earlier poster on his assessment of 'cup and core' bullets.

The other 2 loads I happen to have on hand are a 180gr Accubond @ 2700 fps, and a 250gr Partition at 2350 fps. Would you be concerned about excessive expansion with the former, or insufficient expansion with the later?

Nate
    on a black bear?

thin skinned.. small boned..one of the few critters it is okay to use expandable broad heads on here in AK...

don't over do it they are easy to kill.. my kids use a 243 just fine. load up and go ... no fret no fear. it will fall over if you hit it correctly.
    2700 fps-3000fps... you know the bear will never see it coming.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here