Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooligan report!

Default Hooligan report!

Time to go dipping!

I'm going to stick this thread for a while so we can keep updated on the hooligan runs.

Post what info you know/have heard!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Eating Hooligan ?

Are they worth eating? Somke and can them mabey?

Anyways thanks for any info.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Are they worth eating? Somke and can them mabey?

Anyways thanks for any info.
    My family loves them. We pan fry them like trout and will go through 40-50 per meal (Wife and I + 4 kids). Just roll them in a flour/lemon pepper mix and fry them hot until a bit crispy on the outside (they cook quick). Great with a little lemon juice!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Talking New net - tag still on

Have my brand new dipping net bought from B & Js last year...but I was too late last year so I'm chop'n at the bit for this year. Where should I consider going first?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

We have always done well in the Turnigan Arm from the park border sign turn out (just south of Girdwood) to 20 mile river.

If anyone is driving by there regularly, let us know if dippers are getting fish!
    AKmud

One thing about hooligan is that they make an AWSOME bait fish for Lake Trout, Burbot, Halibut, Salmon, and Pike! The family and I dip net quite a few gallons of hooligan. We save some whole ones for bait. We vacuum seal 20 per bag with a touch of salt. The rest get gobbled up. Our best recipie was to put them in the smoker with salt and pepper and dry smoke them. They are so oily that this slow smoking firms up the texture and they are really good stuff. We put our freighter canoe into 20 mile river and motor up to our (secret) dipping hole. Back in Maine we used to gather along the river banks every sping with lanterns and dipnets. At night was when we'd dip the smelts. We called it Smelting. With the price of herring......you'd be saving alot of money by substituting Hoolys. For me.....it's a savings of about 200 dollars or more.

------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Smoke them, toss in flour and fry, my mother in law bakes them. Have thought of trying a chowder with hooligan, but am not sure if they would hold together.

Thinking of heading down to 20 mile on Monday. Will let you know how things are.

What is best for catching them? Before or after high tide? Never can remember...
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

One thing about hooligan is that they make an AWSOME bait fish for Lake Trout, Burbot, Halibut, Salmon, and Pike! The family and I dip net quite a few gallons of hooligan. We save some whole ones for bait
    Just in case some others are not familiar with it make sure when you give this advice out you tell them it happens to be illegal.

Default Not doubting you, mind you...

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Just in case some others are not familiar with it make sure when you give this advice out you tell them it happens to be illegal.
    ... but can you cite the reg? Seems like they fall into the same category as herring, which can be eaten or used for bait.

I've never had a luck with hooligan on halibut as compared to herring. Others do seem to have good results, however.

5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75

The reg that covers this states Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75,

You may be right I was pouring over that reg and I can't find an answer either way I thought the reg used to read a specie that had no liomit no closed season but it may have changed.

I may very well be wrong I was thinking that hooligans are in the personal use fishery but there description and regs is in the sport regs and not the subs/personal use regs.

as a matter of fact I am wrong

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...lUse/index.cfm

Half way down the page

They are very good burbot bait!!

Cool Well...

Anything to report???

Cool Not yet

Drove by 20 Mile River and I didn't see any seagulls or eagles in all of Turnagain Arm. But there are Kings being caught in the K's. Maybe the barge scared the hoolies away.

Default Nothing

Just got back from 20 mile...dipped for about an hour and left an hour before high tige. NOTHING! Zilch. Did see a flock of birds and lots of eagles working it pretty hard at Petters Creek. Couple old timers out there said another week or two. Nice drive tho.

Default Please use your head

As the dipping season gets going, please, please use your head. If at all possible, park in the established pullouts. If you must park illegally (yes, any parking along the highway outside of an emergency is technically illegal), please make sure you pull as far as you can off the highway and make sure there is noone coming before you walk out from behind your car. Keep an eye on your kids too. All too many times I have driven through areas with cars lining both sides and a family of 5 or more just wandering across the highway right in front of oncoming cars. Just because there are some advisory 45mph signs out there doesn't mean cars driving by are actually paying attention enough to miss you. Make sure your safety is in YOUR hands and not left up to some unknown driver in that SUV coming down the road. We really don't want anyone getting hurt down there.

Default Hot hoolie action at Berners Bay

As of Saturday they were thick in the Lace.

Default So...where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    As of Saturday they were thick in the Lace.
    Am I the only one who has never heard of this place? Where is it? Thanks

Default Twentymile

We dipped upstream of the railroad and had 6 nets in the water for about 1.5 hrs. We managed to get 1. Wait another week. Hopefully the weather is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    We dipped upstream of the railroad and had 6 nets in the water for about 1.5 hrs. We managed to get 1. Wait another week. Hopefully the weather is still good.
    I hope it was a big one.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast