Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Hooligan report!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Drove down tonight to check it out. Plenty of fish around. We weren't fishing ourselves, but wandered around to see how others were doing. Not big nets full of fish, but buckets were being filled. It was 34 degrees and windy, so dress warm! Didn't feel like spring at all....
    Also tons of eagles and seagulls along the shallows in the flats. I'm thinking about going tonight after work if I can figure the tide timing out.

I went down to Twentymile yesterday. Took my boat upriver and found a bunch of birds working the water. We filled a small cooler in about 20 minutes and then went for a boat ride.

My wife took my 13-year old son and two of his buddies down for an evening Wednesday. The boys managed a few gallons of hooligan at basically slack tide. Timing was not in their favor, but boys in the water=fun anyway.

One thing that was curious: they were getting scoops of 40-50 stickleback. I have never seen or heard of them even schooling up before. Anyone else ever seen that?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    My wife took my 13-year old son and two of his buddies down for an evening Wednesday. The boys managed a few gallons of hooligan at basically slack tide. Timing was not in their favor, but boys in the water=fun anyway.

One thing that was curious: they were getting scoops of 40-50 stickleback. I have never seen or heard of them even schooling up before. Anyone else ever seen that?
    There are anadromous populations of three-spine stickleback. I assume they were catching out migrating or returning schools. I've seen thousands leaving a creek at the mouths of rivers. Although, this is normally in the first week in June.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    There are anadromous populations of three-spine stickleback. I assume they were catching out migrating or returning schools. I've seen thousands leaving a creek at the mouths of rivers. Although, this is normally in the first week in June.
    Good to know. I didn't know there were anadromous stickleback. Interesting.

I netted a 12” or so dolly when I was down there last weekend off the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I netted a 12” or so dolly when I was down there last weekend off the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sometimes you get things you don't expect when you're dipnetting. I got a burbot in the Copper River a few years ago....

Saw what looked like a net-full of hooligan as I drove across the Kbeach bridge over the Kenai on Saturday.

Could have been beer cans though since I was driving carefully and responsibly and not rubbernecking................

Me and a friend filled up 3 coolers of hooligan in about 30 minutes today on the Yentna River.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Me and a friend filled up 3 coolers of hooligan in about 30 minutes today on the Yentna River.
    Are they still close to the mouth too or gotta go up a ways? I wanna head out there sometime in the next few days but just haven't had time yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by franklinfleagle View Post
    Are they still close to the mouth too or gotta go up a ways? I wanna head out there sometime in the next few days but just haven't had time yet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Sent you a message

Whales, eagles and gulls near 20 mile.

Any new reports.

Got one in 15-20min couple days ago. Talked with another guy who got 6 in an hour. 20-mile.
    saw the eagles get about a dozen in the same time frame.

Went for a boat ride today. Decided to stop and dip on the way back down when I saw some birds working the water. Filled half a cooler or so in about 20 minutes and called it good. Half a dozen folks at the bridge when I came back. Sounded like pretty slow fishing there. It was nice to get back on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Saw what looked like a net-full of hooligan as I drove across the Kbeach bridge over the Kenai on Saturday.

Could have been beer cans though since I was driving carefully and responsibly and not rubbernecking................
    I take it you mean the Warren/Ames bridge on Bridge Access?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Any word on the run in big su/ yetna?

A little on the late side, but may first was good dipping on the 20 mile. It wasn’t hot but the weather certainly was! A good family outing with a bonus whale sighting!

Lots of hooligan on Su and Yentna today

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324