Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooligan report!

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    Me thinky the Hooligans joined the Forum...and
    are you sure those are Hooligan in that pic Risk?.......they'll be so thick in the Su in a few weeks that you'll fill a cooler in 5min with your bare hands....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Well, uh. . . fishies are . . . fishies!

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    are you sure those are Hooligan in that pic Risk?.......they'll be so thick in the Su in a few weeks that you'll fill a cooler in 5min with your bare hands....
    tj-

Tell you what - YOU find me an official Hooligan emoticon, and I'll be happy to post it!

In the mean time... I understand they travel in 'mega-amounts' and... they taste great!

Don't make me pull your finger . . . again!

Doc

Has anybody caught any hoolies at Willow? I didn't go to 20 mile tonight, in lieu of no positive reports.

Quote Originally Posted by RSKY BIZ View Post
    tj-
    in 'mega-amounts' ... they taste great!

Im not even going to touch that comment....it is tempting, but I'll refrain...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Has anybody caught any hoolies at Willow?
    Im only guessing but I'd bet they are still a couple weeks out...
    pull my finger....

Default Hmmm. . .

Heck - at this rate, maybe they're holding out for my return to AK!!!

tj - get your mind out of the gutter ... go pull your own finger!

Wow! A kick-butt thunderstorm - just as I'm turning in . . .

'Niters!
    Doc

Default Hooligan recipe

Try this recipe for hooligan. They need a little marinating to firm them up a bit, and then are fried and baked to crisp them and reduce the oil content. You can eat them bones and all.

First, head and gut them. Put the fish into a bowl, and add some salt and lemon juice. Mix them around a bit, and let them marinate for 15 to 20 minutes. Then flour them in a bag with seasoned flour--you know, just flour, salt and pepper. Fry them in a skillet with an inch of vegetable oil until they're browned on both sides. Then put them on a cookie cooling rack set over a baking sheet to catch the oil, and pop them in a 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes. They'll render a lot of their oil, and you can eat them bones and all.

My friend went to 20 miles river yesterday and she said she got 23 hoolies.

Default New 20 mile report

I went today, sunday the 17th. High tide was 1:30pm or so in Anchorage. I got to 20 mile at 1:30 and the tide was still coming in. Not a lot of fish but they are starting to show. I got 18 dipping until 6pm. I saw one or two guys doing better but not a whole lot better.
    I think the incoming tide is best. Slowed at slack high, and never really picked up on the ebb tide either. Still had a long way to go to actual low tide though before I left.

Still some Hooligan for dinner!!!

I'm going to make the trek tomorrow (Monday 18th) from the Valley. I have a crew cab truck so if anyone wants to jump in, we can split fuel and make a go of it.

I'm planning on leaving Wasilla around noon. Shoot me a PM or reply here if you want to go.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I forgot to mention I only have one net so if you want to jump in, it would be good to have your own.

I have one passenger so far and room for 4 more. I'll be leaving Wasilla around 11:30-noon.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I forgot to mention I only have one net so if you want to jump in, it would be good to have your own.

I have one passenger so far and room for 4 more. I'll be leaving Wasilla around 11:30-noon.
    I have a couple spare nets I can loan out if anyone is short on gear.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Had a fun time with AKmud even if the hooligan are not in yet.

Final count:

AKmud- 11

Bilder- 7

Still pretty slow. I will probably head back down on Friday.

That was fun anyhow. My face is complaining about the sun exposure .

We talked to some folks at 20 mile who had two 5 gal buckets full, but they had been fishing from 8am-3pm (I don't know how many nets). We didn't see a lot of bird activity or any belugas so the main run probably hasn't shown up yet.

Maybe next weekend...
    AKmud

I could use some sun exposure Think I'll try this again later towards the weekend.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

A little bird told me the railroad is having problems with people on the bridge and tracks and will be cracking down. Just an FYI

Quote Originally Posted by FlyTaiya View Post
    Try this recipe for hooligan. They need a little marinating to firm them up a bit, and then are fried and baked to crisp them and reduce the oil content. You can eat them bones and all.

First, head and gut them. Put the fish into a bowl, and add some salt and lemon juice. Mix them around a bit, and let them marinate for 15 to 20 minutes. Then flour them in a bag with seasoned flour--you know, just flour, salt and pepper. Fry them in a skillet with an inch of vegetable oil until they're browned on both sides. Then put them on a cookie cooling rack set over a baking sheet to catch the oil, and pop them in a 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes. They'll render a lot of their oil, and you can eat them bones and all.
    Just tried this and I must say, it is the best method I have tried yet for cooking hooligan. Even my wife who usually does not care for them enjoyed it. The baking after frying sure does firm them up.

Decent run today around late noon, early evening. Will try again Tuesday for a better run.

I also had a fair day with 3/4 of a 5gallon bucket in less than 3 hours. Not the best but better than what I've been hearing here. I'm aiming for a cooler full or so next week.

Default Tides at 20 mile

Anyone know how the tides at 20 mile correlate to the tides in Anch, +/-? Can't find a tide chart for 20 mile.

Thanks,

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast