Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hooligan report!

Default FNG (Freakin' new guy!)

I was just browsing over topics I haven't checked out before. Hooligan? I have figured these out to be what we call "Smelt" back in Michigan. I had no idea these were up here, maybe that is quite ignorant. I'm in the interior but I would love to go find some of these. Any information on how a new guy should get started would be awesome, thanks!

Default history

here's a couple sites with some pretty interesting history.
    eulachon (hooligan) were a huge part of the pacific northwest and alaska native culture.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Smelt.htm

http://lewis-clark.org/content/conte...?ChannelID=203

OK people...I'm dying here...need a hoooooole report
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Talking Not yet!

Tim, you're just going to have to get your fresh fish at the sushi bar. Maybe this weekend. Are you sure you know how to use that new net of yours?

Default Nothin' But Net!

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Tim, you're just going to have to get your fresh fish at the sushi bar. Maybe this weekend. Are you sure you know how to use that new net of yours?
    Well, akriverman, I can vouch for his sushi consumption!
    However, if it's a 'net-issue', then here is a Primer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fezi0c5d_s

Will someone please catch some 'candle fish!'
    I've heard a bunch about 'em....

Doc

Its got some holes in it...thinking about giving it back to Chris down at B & Js...But first...its apparent I HAVE TO GO MYSELF and see if any Hoolies are there today...I'll be sure to post a report

Default Still none!

My buddy and I took our boys today (Saturday). Outgoing tide on the 20 mile at the railroad bridge...got ONE...again...

Another guy and his family got ONE too...

Drove back towards ANC, stopped along the highway and talked to a few folks...no one is getting anything yet.

Guess they're late this year...

Dang...guess one more week. Tks for the report. Saved me the gas.

Default work the incoming

Talked to a buddy yesterday. He said he was coming home from Hope the other day and watched the boartide "pushing" hoolies! Said the gulls and eagles were going nuts.

Question someeone tell me if

these are "just like smelt" cook/taste the same? i've drove by everyone dippin on the way to homer fishing many a time ,never had the tools of the trade to have a go at it...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default No they don't taste like smelt

I'm from Michigan the smelt there are smaller and tastier. Hooligan don't fry up the same, I like to smoke Hoolies and use them for bait.

Default how

do you keep them lit while on the hook in the water?

Sorry had to ask.

You can cook them up like smelt. Granted I too think that the Michigan smelt tasted better, but hoolies are really good too! We dredge them in seasoned flour and fry 'em up like we used to smelt. They also make good bait for pike and rockfish. They're ok for butt bait, but not as good as herring (heck of alot cheaper though).

Going to 20 mile tonight on the high- i'll post and let all know what we find.

They were not in last eve, at least in any great numbers- talked to an older couple who had been fishing since the morning low tide (12 hours there) and they had dipped 23 hoolies.
    Still a few days out, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I'm from Michigan the smelt there are smaller and tastier. Hooligan don't fry up the same, I like to smoke Hoolies and use them for bait.
    U are very right there. Although related....the Hooligan have longer fins, more bones, and don't hold together when you fry them like smelts back in Maine. They are so oily that just a simple cleaning in some salted water and a dusting of pepper tastes great. The smoker firms them up a bit and they are good for canning after being smoked too.

I drove down to Seward and back yesterday (Tuesday, May 12th). On my way down in the morning I spotted a small group of belugas just a couple miles back toward Girdwood from 20 Mile River. Perhaps they were feeding on hooligan? No flocks of feeding gulls observed however. A couple of folks hanging out around the 20 Mile River bridge, didn't look like anyone was dipping though. On my way home (7:00ish) there were half a dozen vehicles parked along the road with people dipping, but I didn't stop to see how folks were doing.

Jeff

Unhappy Kenai Report

Went down to the mouth of the Kenai last night with my 12' net for about an hour. It was just about high tide.
    No Hooligan . No seagulls either and no sign of the seals that usually follow them in to the river. maybe next week?

Any updates from anyone for today? It is raining good, I am thinking tonight's high might be good, would like to know though before I make the ride from the Valley again-
    Thanks shearj, for your last update.
    Last edited by Journey; 05-15-2009 at 13:43. Reason: mispell

Default Kenai nada

Dozen passes with gillnet; near low tide today (Friday 5/15), zip.

Default All Those Lil' Fishies, Missing???

Me thinky the Hooligans joined the Forum...and are reading all the comments!!!

Someone, get some - SOON!!!
    Doc

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast