Thread: 300 RUM and 180 TSX's

Default 300 RUM and 180 TSX's

I just finished a batch of 300 RUM in new Remington bass. Sturdy brass this Remington Ultra Mag but this zip-loc bag of brass was heavily dinged around the case mouth, more than usual. I managed to get the worst of them straightened with a 30 caliber screw driver shaft and ran them all through the full length sizing die with a tapered expander. The tapered expander did make easy work of this task. The sizing die did not touch the shoulder of the case when screwed down to the shell holder but it did size the body of some of the cases so some lube was needed there as well as at the neck. I then trimmed all to 2.840" then deburred and inside chamfered the case mouth with a VLD style chamfering too.

I primed all with Federal 215M (match) magnum primers and poured a substantial quantity of RL-25 in each case. Seating the Barnes TSX bullets always reminds me of driving over railroad tracks as the ridges slip past the case mouth. This is where a good chamfered and deburred case make seating easy and prevents engraving the bullets which could cause loss of accuracy. I seated these to 3.580" as a standard for this bullet and caliber combo (max COAL is 3.600") that I've used in the past. I don't have the rifle for which these are loaded but this load should do well.

New Remington brass for the 300 RUM $53.00/50--------------$53.00
    New Barnes 180 grain TSX bullets------$35.00/50--------------$35.00
    New Federal magnum, match primers---$3.00/100--------------$ 1.50
    New Alliant RL-25 powder--------------$35.00/pound----------$22.50

The loading experience....Priceless. Greg Your ammo is ready.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

So Greg is going to get 50 rounds of handcrafted 300 RUM ammo for $112.00 (and a beer I hope), not too bad! Better deal than any Factory Ammo (with premium bullets).

[QUOTE=Murphy;478945]Seating the Barnes TSX bullets always reminds me of driving over railroad tracks as the ridges slip past the case mouth. QUOTE]

I noticed that the other day myself when I loaded some TSXs for the first time. I doubt the quality of mine are anywhere near the quality of Ammo Greg's getting, however.

"This is where a good chamfered and deburred case make seating easy and prevents engraving the bullets which could cause loss of accuracy."

Absolutely, even more impt when using the XLC Barnes which are no longer available. I usually use a VLD chamfer - 20 degree? I would imagine somewhere between 95 and 100 gr of RL 25 should be about what the chef ordered! Contrary to old rumors about Remington brass being too "soft" I have been impressed with how tough the RUM brass has turned out to be - surprisingly, better than Federal brass (not sure whose brass Nosler starts with).