Thread: Zero Lake Rd.

Default Zero Lake Rd.

Who knows about Zero Lake Rd. in the Valley? Is it a passable road, or need a serious 4x4? What about hunting back there?

Default the road

It is a logging road for about two miles until you run into a gate that I have nver seen unlocked and then pass that and it is a spider web of 4 wheeler trailes some of which are pretty nasty. But in the fall there alot of blue berries and bear tracks u am thinking of throwingup a bait stand out there in a week or two.

I'm going to check out the area tomorrow morn. I'm going to the end of that road.. then walking in to either water or a clearing.... See how the luck is in the morn.... I'll let you know what it looks like

There are a lot of guys that bait that area so please try to not set up on top of anyone. A good friend has been out there for the last two years and had someone put in a bait, inside 1/8 of a mile different people different place's. Look real good for sign of where people go into the woods. If you think you have found a good spot. Probably someone has found it first. just thought you should know.

Gate is locked, you will need a 4 wheeler. We have a stand back there and there are at least 2 other guys with stands and that's not even that far back there. Trail is muddy, but nothing a 4 wheeler with 4WD couldn't handle. Still has hard frozen base to it. If you want to put in a stand I would get back there quite a ways, one there is a house back there and you will need to be a mile from it, and the road parallels that house for aways. Snow is still a bit deep in spots, but mostly gone.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Sound promising...

Perhaps i will check it out also...

and if your wondering why we don't give out info...

this thread is a PRIME example of how good locations get crowded over nite. there are thousands of folks going to read this and you will never know when they show up.. how they got there..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Sound promising...
    Perhaps i will check it out also...
    and if your wondering why we don't give out info...
    this thread is a PRIME example of how good locations get crowded over nite. there are thousands of folks going to read this and you will never know when they show up.. how they got there..
    It is promising and a very decent spot. Bottom line is there are only a handful of decent spots close enough to the population centers for running a bait station. They really aren't a secret at all. Even the original poster had already decided that he was going out and check it out, I assume even if he received no responses to his inquiry. What he did find out though, was to be aware of the house back there and use caution in making sure he was far enough away from it. This is real good info to take to the field. Better than going in totally ignorant of what the possibilities are. I also know that two guys working two bait stations close by, can be a valuable asset to one another if they are willing to work together.

I know of no secret spots within two hours drive of Wasilla or Anchorage, anywhere you can reasonably drive to, you can expect company at any time. This goes for the bait stations out the back doors of locals. They are easily seen from the air, if you are looking.

It is much better for hunters to go afield with info about the area, than not knowing a thing about whats what. My guess is that two or more of the posters here will run into one another in the area and at least have that much in common, when they get to talking on the trail or at the trailhead.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

NOTHING BEATS getting your self out and scouting... you never KNOW what you will find...but hey now at least 4000 people know where a good spot s and that is how good spots get ruined...and the guys who been there established for years will be burned...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I'm with vince

Plain and simple. A big part of the fun is exploring and the unknown. Computer hunting takes that away, and most definately causes places to get hammered. There is a big difference in an area being "no secret" with a handfull of people frequenting it, and written, detailed invites to thousands. my .02

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by .300wby View Post
    Plain and simple. A big part of the fun is exploring and the unknown. Computer hunting takes that away, and most definately causes places to get hammered. There is a big difference in an area being "no secret" with a handfull of people frequenting it, and written, detailed invites to thousands. my .02
    Or it can be use effectively to educate the masses. For instance, telling them about the other possibilities in the region, like the trail that leads out from the side of Houston Fire Dept. It takes you just about to the same area as Zero Lake, but a little east. Lot of good places in there to hunt and bait as well. Again, this is no secret area, lots of folks use the trail systems, winter and summer. The more options the less crowded, see how that works?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    NOTHING BEATS getting your self out and scouting...
    Agreed. I can't tell you how many hours we spent up there looking for a spot to build a stand. We put lots of hours in on the snowmachine and had to give up a very promising spot, but such is life. Now we're just waiting.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I just went out there with a group offroading and there were at least 20 other people on 4 wheelers scouting and checking it out. We seen several moose out there too. Made it past the lake and it was a little slushy but not too bad. I was in a stock jeep and did pretty well even in the hairy spots.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Very very popular spot. Been baiting out there since 97. Every year there is more & more people out there hunting & baiting. I am not trying to discourage you, but you asked. The last three years I have had poeple color blind & unable to flat out read "Bear Baiting Area". There are some nice ethical guys out there, but there are also some real "WINNERS". On weekends you will see a gob of people. Moose season is a freaken JOKE! I think they have a shuttle van @ the parks?

Vince nailed it! One person tells one & then that person tells 2 & those two tell 2 & so on. The place has been gettting really bad since about 2002. But yes I am out there for yet one more year. I am just stuck in my ways.

I would let you in on the road conditions, but it is more fun to find out on your own. Besides someone will be along really soon to help pull you out I am sure! Have fun exploring.

Default doesnt matter

I agree that there are no secret spots within any close range of anchorage or the valley. And there is no point in whining about people sharing there spots on the web, I do believe that is partially what this forum is for to share techniques, photos and oh yes help other people out (including sharing good hunting areas). if you have a problem with other people coming into an area you hunt you need to buy some of your own land and post it with no trespassing signs, if you think people are going to trash the outdoors, you are probably right and when you see them do it turn them in, a anonymous phone call with a license plate number and maybe even a photo taken on your phone can do a lot of damage to somebody that is out just to party and throw bear bottles or even leave a horribly messy bait stand. i have hunted the zero lake area for quite a few times and yes sometimes there are quite a few people out there, but i have been out there by myself and got my fourwheeler stuck so bad i was hoping somebody would come by and help me out but 9 hours of digging and winching later i was out on my own and didnt see a single other person(the last week of moose season last year). most of the people that are out to trash the area do not get past the area that people shoot at first thing coming up Zero Lake Road. Go up there and hunt the the area and have a great time.

Default One more thing

There seems to be more than a few brown bears in that area also. So you may have to pick though them to find a nice black bear. And when you have two stands to close to each other, they never seem to go away. My buddy's cam took over 400 pics last year and never got one of a black. So have fun with that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    There seems to be more than a few brown bears in that area also. So you may have to pick though them to find a nice black bear. And when you have two stands to close to each other, they never seem to go away. My buddy's cam took over 400 pics last year and never got one of a black. So have fun with that.
    That area was in my backyard as a kid growing up. Back then there was no road, just a trail. There were only a few guys with bait stations, and the moose hunting pressure was limited to a few local familys. I still remember when it was the Houston dump.

What Duckman said about the grizz is true. I was charged at my bait by one in the mid 90s back there. After that and all of the people using it I moved on.

Default and the final result is...

... that you don't want to bait this area because there are too many browns and too many people

Default Attention all HUNTERS!!!

I agree with Vince and the others who would rather keep locations under the radar. Sure lots of folks already know about Z lake and other hot spots in the valley, but advertising on the world wide web makes it worse....faster. Oh by the way, there are tons of fat blackies hanging out at ______CREEK!!! Yeah right, I think I'll keep that one to myself.

Default ksbha4

I like the emphasis on HUNTERS... Couldn't agree more.