Thread: Remington semi auto in 35 Whelen

Texas (I miss AK)

Default Remington semi auto in 35 Whelen

Thoughts anyone? I've seen a couple of these and like the idea of a hard hitting short barreled semi-auto, but I don't know a thing about this particular one. Thinking of a gun for the lower 48.

I had one for a while. It was pretty accurate 1 1/2- 1 3/4 3 shot groups, was handy and reliable. It had a marked preferance to 250gr bullets, the speer 250gr @ 2400fps worked very well. It wouldn't feed at all when I first got it but as usual it was a bad magazine not the rifle, 90% of the time its a magazine issue with remington auto rifles. My only real complaint about it was that there was really no quiet way to chamber a round and I never carry with one in the chamber until I am ready to shoot. Other than that it would make a dandy bear bait rifle or any other type of stand hunting where you could start out with one in the chamber.

Default New ones best

The earlier Rem semi-autos like the 740, 742, 7400 often had feeding problems, usually associated with not being clean and people not using small base dies, which help. I always preferred the pump gun, the 760, 7600. Accurate and quick, without the problems associated with a semi-auto action. Wish I still had my 760.