Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury 200 hp Optimax Sport Jet

Default Mercury 200 hp Optimax Sport Jet

Advise on how to break the new motor in.

only thing I'd be worried about is make sure you're getting oil....be sure the little reservoir is full and primed...

other than that, warm it up and then hammer down and have fun......

Once warmed up good, check the routing of cables/wires around the expansion chamber...things get a little warm back there...

what boat is it in?..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Its a sea ark pedator from deweys cook inlet he in anchorage. The oil was full from deweys they fill it up when i bought the boat but I will keep a eye it for sure..thanks mike

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    only thing I'd be worried about is make sure you're getting oil....be sure the little reservoir is full and primed...

other than that, warm it up and then hammer down and have fun......

Once warmed up good, check the routing of cables/wires around the expansion chamber...things get a little warm back there...

what boat is it in?..

Default Manual

follow the manual; vary rpm, etc. Mine runs like a top. j

Default Main oil reservoir

Another top of the list item, aside from the small reservoir on the side of the engine, isthe main oil tank. Make sure the top is on good and snug as this is a pressurized container. It gets pressurized from the air compressor, hence the need for two lines on the cap. Keeps a head of pressure on the oil in the tank to keep things flowing nicely. And yes, vary your power, plus the computer is pre-programmed to run it richer on oil for the first 10 hours, then will be oil consumption back to normal.

I spoke with Craig last year when I picked up my second Predator. He wouldn't give it to me until they had broken it in. He said too many people don't break them in correctly and that is where most of their engine problems come from, so they like to put the first several hours on the boats to make sure it is done right.

Follow the manual and break it in correctly, don't hammer down on it right from the bat.

thanks I haven't talked with anyone that has a predator. What do you like about the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I spoke with Craig last year when I picked up my second Predator. He wouldn't give it to me until they had broken it in. He said too many people don't break them in correctly and that is where most of their engine problems come from, so they like to put the first several hours on the boats to make sure it is done right.

Follow the manual and break it in correctly, don't hammer down on it right from the bat.

Default overheating in a 200 hp optimax?

Echo what others have said -- follow the manual -- take care of the engine so it can take care of you.

The only issue I've had is the "overheating" when idling for long periods of time. I took my boat to Valdez this past summer and trolled for silvers (at close to idle). Every once in a while we would have to pull our lines and do a short amount of running to cool the engine. Seems kinda lame to have to do that.

Not to change the topic, but this may benefit other Optimax owners. Anybody know of a "fix" or have similar encounters?

Other than that, I love the engine. The baby's got serious "get up and go".

Default overheating

Scadden,
    Not to make you out to be or ask a dumb question but are you sure you didn't have kelp in the engine? There is no reason you should have been overheating otherwise, especially with that nice cold valdez water circulating through the engine. I could see it with a partial obstruction but not under normal operating. I have the sportjet in my 20' sportsman and have had no problems running it for 3 years and the majority of my time is spent in Valdez. It just sounds to me like you had kelp in there, made a run which chewed it up and then went back to trolling where eventually you sucked some more up, I've seen it happen. My buddy had an older one, '03 I think, that had an overheating issue where it was melting the rubber collars on his exhaust tubes which then sent the motor in to safe mode. Good that it did that, not so good that we were an hour and a half downriver from our launch and he had no power or way to fix it, I had to tow him all the way back. What year is your motor?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Scadden,
    Not to make you out to be or ask a dumb question but are you sure you didn't have kelp in the engine? ...

What year is your motor?
    2008 engine

Yep, I was stomping the grate regularly.

I asked the dealer when I got back to town, and he said it's "normal" and that I need to run above idle every so often to cool it more. That answer struck me as being very insufficient and not inspiring. Wouldn't an engine idling be easier to cool than one running on step?!?

Anyways, that was late last season and with the rivers approaching breakup, the questions approaches my mind again.

I'll approach someone other than my dealer to address this again. Sounds like I may be the only one with this problem, so there's gotta be a solution.

No I agree, not the right answer, you weren't talking with Buff at compeau's were you? I had a pretty big beef with him about something he told me, which was a lie basically, and his fix action was also bs. I took it up with Craig and he made things right. Either way there should be no reason it should be overheating, I would talk to Craig directly, whenever I have he has been all over helping me out. The reason I asked about the kelp is the stomp grate won't always kick it out but will usually get enough that once you power up it'll chew up what's left and kick it. Are you shutting down the motor when you stomp, if not you should? Sorry if these are dumb questions to you but hey you never know. Hope you get her figured out, they are great motors, far more economical than the big v8 inboards and plenty of pep.

Default something else

Do you have a sand trap on your boat? My buddy that had the overheating issues did, I don't on mine. Maybe that's restricting flow at idle? Just a thought.

have you checked your thermostat?...

do you have a heater?...without a trap that could get plugged and also restrict flow...

fhshuntr is right, no reason your boat shouldn't idle all day long out there
    pull my finger....

Thanks for all the responses and advice.

I was shutting the engine between stomps. No apparent effect from the stomping.

I do have a heater and a sand trap. The sand trap is cleaned after every trip, and there was no sand in the trap after the Valdez trip.

I have not checked the thermostat. Not sure what I'd even look for. It was the temperature gauge on the instrument panel that was alerting me to the slow temperature rise.

Thanks for the help. The engine issues on that trip distracted from the actual fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by scadden View Post
    I have not checked the thermostat. Not sure what I'd even look for.
    it is in line....it looks like a soda can with tapered ends...

Im not sure how to 'check' it either but I suppose you can bring a little double male connector with you and remove it next time you overheat...if you connect the hose together with the double male connector without the thermo and still over heat I suppose that's not it....

I just removed mine, just one more thing to freeze up and break...I have also bypassed my heater because I never use it...so for me, water enters the system, cycles through the motor (cooling plate)/expansion chamber etc, and then right back out...

after running aroud a bit, when I shut the motor off you can watch the temps climb on the smartcraft gauge......start it up and you can watch them fall right back down, so just having the motor running is providing quite a bit of cooling, much more noticable in the colder waters of Knik versus a warmer creek like Deshka...I imagine the water out of Valdez is pretty chilly...

One more thought.....there is a little cavity under your motor that water flushes through, the motor sits on this cavity and radiates heat...it is not uncommon for the drain hole to get plugged with sand/rocks and not drain well...mine was plugged and I drilled it out a little larger....I don't think that it is your primary cooling but maybe worth a look...

Perhaps PM ExtremeDuty, he's probably one of the more knowledgeable guys around on that motor...
    pull my finger....

Cool tjm, Where is the drain located

tjm

Which side of the engine compartment is the drain hole located?

it is under the motor...you might be able to see it when you look up through the grate, not sure....I drilled mine when my motor was pulled....I'll check when I get home if I can see it...
    pull my finger....

Default Thanks

I'll get my kid to stand on the grate after work and see if I can see it.

All very good info.

Glad to hear this is not something "built in" to the engine. I'm sure I can remedy this problem now.

akmike30: Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope you got something out of this discussion.

Here's to a new season of boating! Cheers!

yep if i over heat I have some more tools in the bang.. Carry on....today was warmist weather yet...

Quote Originally Posted by scadden View Post
    All very good info.

Glad to hear this is not something "built in" to the engine. I'm sure I can remedy this problem now.

akmike30: Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Hope you got something out of this discussion.

Here's to a new season of boating! Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast