Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What reel for Halibut?

Default What reel for Halibut?

I am thinking about getting one of the Avet Reels for halibut this summer. Would I be better off with the Pro EXW30 or the Pro EXW50? Does anyone have another ideas? Are these the best two options for halibut?

Thanks
    Carl

Those reels hold huge amounts of line, consistent with their intended use of blue-water offshore fishing with large amounts of heavy monofilament. For halibut, you need a tough reel that holds a couple hundred yards of 50# or 65# spectra. The Avets you mention are WAY too big. I'm thinking you'd be happier with a smaller, lighter, more compact reel, and you wouldn't be giving anything up in terms of performance.

The JX or MXJ seem like a better fit. The single speed 4.6 ration JX seems like an economical choice.

I have been using Penn 330. They have worked great for me. Though Jim AKA Boneyardbaits has me now looking to get a accurate reel for jigging.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default lots of choices...

The requirements for a personal halibut reel may not be the same as for a charter. We have the HX, LX and MX 2 speed reels and a couple of Daiwa SLD 20 II reels. I like them all. For a personal halibut reel I think the HX is fine. I use to run Penn GTI 340, 330 and 320 reels. They worked ok but are not in the same class as the Avets. The HX holds close to 400 yards of 80 lb. braid. The LX will also work, the MX is mainly for jigging when drifting. The HX and LX have plenty of drag to offer. As most of us know, most of the halibut caught are under 50 lbs. It is nice to have a low gear when halibut fishing. By that I mean below 4.0, preferably below 3.0. If Avet made the HX in a single speed with a 3. 0 gear I would not buy a 2 speed. Most of the fancy high end 2 speed reels are made for the boys down south who toss lures. We free spool to the bottom and wait for a bite.

I have Shimano TLD 20 2-speed reels and they are compact and get the job done of halibut large and small along with muscling ling cod out of the rocks. I have a TLD 30 2-speed that I use if an extra person is with me. I have large International 50s and even a 70, from my days of working on boats in San Diego. I just don't have a use for those big reels, especially the 70, up here and thinkin' I need to sell them.

you can get an older 655h accurate on ebay for a good price....they will take all the punishment you can give them and they are made in the usa and have awesome service.......you only need 50 lb. spectra....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Avet PRO 3/0

The Avet PRO 3/0 is an outstanding reel. It is simple in design and easy to maintain. You have enough line capacity to go deep and it is large enough to handle salmon sharks. I normally carry 7 Avets and 3 of the Accurate 655 H 4 to 1 gears. The 114 Penns and Diawa 600 H's will work if you are on a buget. I have a couple of Tira coming that I will test this summer. 2 Years ago I purchased 6 of the Shimano TDII 3/0 and did not like them at all. The drags on 4 out of 6 of them would not tighten down enough. Two of them worked OK. I used Pen Internationals for about 10 years and sold all of them. I just had to many break downs.

Default I like my

Penn 345 gti .

Are you only getting one reel or more then one?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Also the shimmano ocea jigger 5000p is a awesome reel...... Gary, you need the new accurate extreme 500.........mark called he wants to fish.........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I wouldn't buy any Avet that has the plastic bushing in the clicker......why a plastic internal part?....they fail and get in the gear works......not for me....bad experience.

There are a lot of good reels out there but for me, I never buy wide spool reels as it puts the crank too far off the axis of the rod making it want to torque as you crank hard.

I like good cranks and prefer a good crank over two speeds any day.

With a the spool full of line, the reel drag should scale at least 1/3 the pound test of the line used. IMO

Default Avet is the way to go

when you have an avet you will not be sorry for paying the price yes its spendy but you will have that reel for years just maintain it and you can do that here in anc the accurates you need to send out and pay shipping and wait and wait then never talk to who worked on it but you can talk to the man at tackle repair weather it is just annual maintence or a failure of some sort. that is my 2c

Default penn senators specials

Don't want to highjack the guys thread here but what do you guys think about the penn special senators? I have heard they are pretty good for your money. If you were to get one would you get the 113 or the 114 and which model of either?

the reel I use is a penn international 16vsx and I love it! sure its heavy, but its also solid metal. I was just able to fit 500 yards of 100# powerpro on it, I mean just barely. Its a winch when you drop it into low gear. Definitely worth the money.

I have had my first accurates for six years of charter use i would only rinse them with fresh water and thats it.....yeah they are more money but you only buy it once....i sent them in for last year they cleaned them and it was cheap......a lot of the charter fleet bought avets and had lots of drag problems.....live to jig......:d jig to fish

Default Penn Senator

The Penn Senators are good reels for the price. The main thing that goes wrong is the dog clutch. There is a small copper strip that gets weak and the reel will back lash. I like the 114 because of the extra line capacity. The Diawa 600H are good reels also the main problem with them was the paint would peel off them. Smaller reels are good for jigging but may times you end up going to bait and a heavy weight because of the current. I like the Avet 3/0 PRO Wide for the line capacity and they are easy to maintain. Have not had any break downs with them. The 3/0 is a big improvement over the older 4/0. I have both the Accurate 655H and the Avet 3/0 on my charter boat so people can try both. I also have some boneyard jigs if you want to try them.

Default Okuma Convector 55L

Last year I tried two new Okuma Convector 55s. In two weeks of fishing with 10-16 ounces of weight the the gears went to pieces. Had to switch back to my Penns.
    glfisherman
    Help keep discarded plastic from our waters.
    http://www.excel.net/~jokruege/plasticbags.ppt

Hmmm well I am still thinking about the Pro 30 but the mention of the HX got me thinking. How big of a reel does one need for halibut? I have used cheap reels for a long time but I am looking for a nice reel for me to use (and the girlfriend when she comes). I am only going to purchase one right now.

Thanks
    Carl

I went with my international after using an okuma 2 speed. It froze up and they refused to respond back to me after I asked them if they would warranty it. the reel was rinsed after every trip, it just couldnt handle it. its was mostly plastic. it was the last okuma I will ever buy. cant say enough good stuff about the international, she is a beast.

Penn 113HN AKA the Baja special 4/0 size reel will crank out 28+ pounds of drag and hold 300 yds of 80 Power Pro also has double anti reverse dogs.

As for the standard senators having dog problems if you don't maintain any reel properly you'll have problems with them.

I always suggest a winter time preventive maintenance session on all saltwater reels particularly ones that get heavy use. Cold weather and heavy old grease is going to be a problem for any reel.

You also won't have Avetitis when you use Penn's either.

Bottom line here don't ever discount the venerable Penn Senator they are great reels and cost about half as much as those fancy aluminum reels do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast