Thread: figure 8 or flathorn lakes via boat?

Default figure 8 or flathorn lakes via boat?

I cant tell from maps or google earth, but can a guy get a little riverboat up into or close to figure 8 or flathorn lake?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

you can get into flathorn. the channel is good and deep but it gets wide and shallow and weedy as you come into the lake. ive run my zodiac with a 25 horse prop in there with no problem. i do not think you can get into figure eight but im not 100% sure.

you can get into flat horn there some sticks in a line in the channel as you gointo flat horn. Stay to the left of them and you be fine. about 3 feet deep there las year. We learn the hard way last year in a 26 foot duck worth which side of the sticks to go on. pretty good pike fishing on the east end of the lake.

cool! thanks guys, Kinda the opposite of what I was thinking. It looked to me like figure 8 probably and flathorn probably not.

Flathorn was no biggie in my airboat, you shouldn't have a problem if you stick to the channel in the outlet creek and lake. The problem is finding it. The outlet creek is located on a side channel off the Su.

We went there last fall and the channel by the gas line was dry as a bone,How much farther down the Sue to get to the south east channel, never have ran in that one? There always used to be big log jam in there.

Default Lower slough access to Flathorn

I hunted this area for about 10 years running mid 90's to mid 20"s. I watched the gasline channel slowly shift and dryup over a few years. Not sure what its like now, but I saw alot of silt shift into that channel that made it practically impossible to navigate except during high water levels..
    Just upsream of the gasline there is an access point, believe its called fish creek on the map. That gets a little dicey during low water too, but sometimes doable.
    In my opinion, the best access is just down stream of where the gasline cut crosses the Big Su. Maybe not quite a half mile. It flows out directly into the main channel. When upstream access was too low water, this waterway always got us in there. You will see significant water flow where this slough empties into the main river. Once you find this opening you should have no problem. Good luck and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    We went there last fall and the channel by the gas line was dry as a bone,
    ditto...

How much farther down the Sue to get to the south east channel
    go just a little ways...once you think you might have passed it, go a little further...lol....

There always used to be big log jam in there.
    still is, not big though...hardly slows ya down...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

what about figure 8?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    what about figure 8?
    your best bet to get there would be to make friends with Gremlin......What a kick in the pants that'd be 'eh Grem?....I wonder how many tickets we could rack up before we actually got there...lol..
    pull my finger....

We could sell tickets. We'd need all those people to help heave and ho my boat over the ground while I'm at WOT too. The ticket prices should be high enough to cover the cost of a replacement UHMW bottom after we are done.

Now, If I had a big block and dry level ground I could go just about anywhere.

i do not think you can get into figure 8 with a boat.....unless you are carrying it.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    i do not think you can get into figure 8 with a boat.....unless you are carrying it.
    Nimrod's got it...

or unless you have a fan hooked up to a big motor pushing it...
    pull my finger....