Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Am I reading this correctly?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer, Ak
    Posts
    45

    Default Am I reading this correctly?

    Somebody better at reading these things please help me. Does this mean that yesterday this passed the Alaska House and is in the Senate?

    http://www.legis.state.ak.us/basis/g...=26&bill=HB186

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    (H)
    PASSED Y32 N7 E1


    Reconsider passed as well, with same vote, & has been transmitted to Senate...

    Is now in Seante Judiciary Committee...

  3. #3
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Its for guns built in Alaska

  4. #4
    Member Alaskacajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Huh, it just so happens that I built all of my AR's... (wink wink)

    - Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Palmer, Ak
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Its for guns built in Alaska
    That is the point. Fed has no authority over what happens inside a state. They have just high jacked a bunch of things in the name of "interstate commerce".

  6. #6

    Default One change

    I think that a bill should be written up that says once a firearm is in the state, coming from any legal source, the federales have no say over them. Now that would truly affirm State Sovereignty. Yup, sounds good to me.

  7. #7

    Default Not covered

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    Huh, it just so happens that I built all of my AR's... (wink wink)

    - Clint
    The Lower reciever has to be manufactured in Alaska by a company and stamped "Made in Alaska" by that company.
    The rest of the parts are supposed to be manufactured in Alaska as well but don't have to be stamped "Made in Alaska".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  8. #8
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The Lower reciever has to be manufactured in Alaska by a company and stamped "Made in Alaska" by that company.
    The rest of the parts are supposed to be manufactured in Alaska as well but don't have to be stamped "Made in Alaska".
    Yup, but an AR type lower receiver is one of the easier things on an AR to machine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  9. #9
    Member Alaskacajun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The Lower reciever has to be manufactured in Alaska by a company and stamped "Made in Alaska" by that company.
    The rest of the parts are supposed to be manufactured in Alaska as well but don't have to be stamped "Made in Alaska".
    I know... that's why I winked....

    - Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)

  10. #10
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    I know... that's why I winked....

    - Clint
    Seems to me that the only "firearm" part of an AR rifle is the lower receiver.

    SO, if someone, (say me) Was considering getting a bunch of 80% lowers and an ffl, technically they would be made in Alaska AR rifles. (since any part other then the actual lower forging isnt the firearm)

    Of course, I am waiting on tons of legal background and the wife's permission before i even think about doing anything that stupid. *cough*

  11. #11

    Default Manufactured

    Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    Seems to me that the only "firearm" part of an AR rifle is the lower receiver.

    SO, if someone, (say me) Was considering getting a bunch of 80% lowers and an ffl, technically they would be made in Alaska AR rifles. (since any part other then the actual lower forging isnt the firearm)

    Of course, I am waiting on tons of legal background and the wife's permission before i even think about doing anything that stupid. *cough*
    I believe it says it has to be "MANUFACTURED in ALASKA" not machined in Alaska. The actual raw materials would be exempt but the forgeings and machineing would have to be ALL Alaskan; Thus "Made in Alaska".
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    324

    Default

    I love it! Correct me if Im wrong but I believe Montana has done the same thing or is at least in the process. Gotta love the 10th ammendment used as it is supposed to be.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

  13. #13

    Default YES

    Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    I love it! Correct me if Im wrong but I believe Montana has done the same thing or is at least in the process. Gotta love the 10th ammendment used as it is supposed to be.
    I think there are 23 states at present who have this kind of bill under consideration. None have passed one yet though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  14. #14
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I believe it says it has to be "MANUFACTURED in ALASKA" not machined in Alaska. The actual raw materials would be exempt but the forgeings and machineing would have to be ALL Alaskan; Thus "Made in Alaska".
    Nuts...

    Btw I believe Montana's version of this passed yesterday or today. Was reading about it on arfcom.

  15. #15
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I believe it says it has to be "MANUFACTURED in ALASKA" not machined in Alaska. The actual raw materials would be exempt but the forgeings and machineing would have to be ALL Alaskan; Thus "Made in Alaska".
    We pulled in castings and forgings from all over the world and marked them USA as part of the CNC process. Also during the Madi-Griffen 50bmg kit gun mess the ATF told us we could send them out up to 80% complete without a number on it and it’s not yet a gun. The guy that completes the last 20% must apply for the number and is considered to be the manufacturer of the gun. Naturally the wording of our Alaska state law would be the determining factor as to what is considered Alaska made.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  16. #16
    Member North Polar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    We pulled in castings and forgings from all over the world and marked them USA as part of the CNC process. Also during the Madi-Griffen 50bmg kit gun mess the ATF told us we could send them out up to 80% complete without a number on it and it’s not yet a gun. The guy that completes the last 20% must apply for the number and is considered to be the manufacturer of the gun. Naturally the wording of our Alaska state law would be the determining factor as to what is considered Alaska made.
    Thats what i was thinking. And you have to admit, between everyone on this forum if we pulled together to get something started we'd have one heck of an in state industry.

    Call me an idealist but I think this is an incredible opportunity for the state and for the people in it. It would be pretty neat to have brass, lowers and some other stuff made in AK. (then again I'd roll mark the side of a lower with the "made in alaska" logo for the heck of it)

    Anyhow, if anyone is good with the whole legal side of things and knows more about that bill (or is it properly called a law now?) I'd appreciate more info on the subject.

  17. #17
    Member KelvinG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna, AK
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Just a bump for this thread.

    Now that the bill has passed, is there any more info on how it affects Alaska?

    Any machine shops manufacturing accessories yet?

  18. #18
    Member frankd4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Florida's passed some time ago.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •