Has anyone else troubled themselves over this choice. I have gone back and forth for a while, between a good (probably new) deep water boat for two to four people, head, overnighter, etc. Or getting a 180 or 185. Can't afford both.
So I go back and forth over which one you could do more with. With the boat, you can do all the fishing, shrimping (I have never done this and want to badly), and also at least deer/bear hunt the PWS area. The airplane, I'm still trying to figure out, beyond the obvious of point A to point B. I don't have a cabin to go back and forth to. Then you have the floats vs wheels issue, at least in the summer. I guess you can get out to a good remote location with an airplane, to hunt or fish, which you can't do with a boat. I fly for a living, and don't need to do a lot of tooling around, although I would enjoy that.
I have a brother coming up this summer for maybe two weeks, that loves to fish, especially the deeper water fishing, and wants to go shrimping. I would enjoy the time doing that with him a lot, and am thinking of spending the bulk of the time in PWS doing the above. I have an Aire Leopard with a 25 horse 2 stroke Tohatsu, and can't even dipnet in that anymore. I used to dip, then take it down to Homer and out halibut fishing. Now we're limited to dipping on a friend's boat, and halibut charters.
So I'm at the point where I'm thinking of doing what someone on an earlier post was looking at doing - getting a decent used deeper water boat (have no experience with one) that will do all of the above, is safe, and can be used to learn the ropes, and figure out what I would want, if I really wanted to upgrade down the road. Or maybe keep it, and maybe get an airplane down the road. I was initially leery of going out in those waters in a used vessel, but it sounds like if you are careful, you can get a decent used boat. The shrimping, and spending the time in PWS, is what is putting me over the edge at this time.
Also, are there people that do pre-buy's on boats, like in the airplane business?
Sorry to ramble, but I am really interested if anyone has gone through this decision process. Also, I have learned a lot on these forums, and appreciate all the input from everyone on here. Thanks.