Thread: Alaska Experiment 2

Default Alaska Experiment 2

Anyone watch the opening episode? I just caught it (had to catch up on hockey first!)

It's quite a bit different than the first season - no 2-3 person groups in different areas. Instead the 8 or 9 people all got dropped off on a lake together.

It kind of drives me nuts to watch these people fumbling through situations where a little know how and experience would make a world of difference, but I'll still watch it!

I still wish they would run a concurrent 'experiment' with some average life long alaskan's so they could cut from one camp to the other and really show the difference!

I am watching it. It will be interesting to see how they will get enough food for that big of a group.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

At least we saw the SPOT worked. I love to see the folks they pick. I give them zero chance to make it out. I would love to do it, but I know I would never get picked.

Ron

speaking of the SPOT in the show, it really made me wonder what they are doing with it. I can't imagine they are really using it - i.e., sending a resuce message and starting the whole SAR process. On the other hand they are clearly not running an ad for spot since they duct taped over the logo!

My guess is they don't even have batteries and when the person 'pushes the button" for the camera the film crew radios for their helicopter.

Didn't they say something like it would take them a month to cover 60 miles? What's up with that?

Default i think that this one is better than the first one

but i do feel that as an alaskan that all of us alaskans should take a moment and go outside and get a big rock and wait for a bird to fly by and try to kill it....and don't forget to sooth the vole by rubbing its back just before you hit it with a stick...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

They should drop an Aaskan down south.

If it were me I'd like to be dropped off in downtown LA with a Porche with a suitcase load of cash, and given a month to make my way home.....

LO!! I actually watched that. They could have done better with less.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Where is this show? Would love to berate (sp) those from the real world...

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Where is this show? Would love to berate (sp) those from the real world...

George
    Tuesday nights on Discovery channel after Deadliest Catch. http://dsc.discovery.com/
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Hey, there's a similar discussion going on the Global Discussion thread. Maybe we should all merge together on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Hey, there's a similar discussion going on the Global Discussion thread. Maybe we should all merge together on this one.
    I couldn't find it.

Whoops, spoke too soon. I found it.

Can't wait until the knuckleheads are on again tonight. Wonder who's out?

I might be wrong but i think they got dropped off at Susitna Lake. Susitna Lake is connected to Lake Louise. I've never been through there in the summer but I don't think it would take a month to hike out. They are also traveling west through the Talkeetna Mountains. Any Alaskan with a basic map and a compass would probably go south to the Glenn highway. I would guess maybe two or three days.

If you go west from Susitna Lake with 8 inexperienced people it would be a long trip. It is pretty rough through there and a long distance. I'm not sure it would take over a month but I wouldn't doubt it under the circumstances.

I am going to watch this series though. We can learn by their mistakes and maybe get a laugh or two.

they got dropped off by tsusena butte just north of the big su.
    I bet in the last episode they come out at the princess lodge the valley that they are going to follow looks like it comes out on curry ridge. not a very fun hike though.

I watched the last episode and I was wrong. I watched the first episode with no DVR and I was kind-of half watching it. I did find a website that said that it is a 5-7 day trek to Swimming Bear Lake though.

http://www.alaskahiking.com/10_destinations.html#2