Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog's for bears

Default Dog's for bears

Anyone that uses dogs to hunt bears, That live close to base. And are interested in taking a Wounded Warrior hunting. PM me. A reliable source tells me that there's talk about getting a bear hunt going on Elmendorf. It would be for problem bears, when one arises. and would be for, you guessed it Wounded Warriors. This is still in the talk phase, but after last year I'm guessing there will be a need to remove a few. Not necessaily big bears but problem bears none the less. I will only be in town for two more weeks so let me know. This would be a great thing to do for our Wounded Heros.

My buddy and I talked to fish and game a number of times about this. You cannot hunt bear with houds in Alaska. I believe you can use them to aid in tracking a wounded bear (however they were not real clear on that either). Thats interior rules anyway.

Default From the regs

Page 27

Says if you want to hunt black bears with dogs you must first get a permit from the nearest Fish and game office to the area you want to hunt.

So I'd think it is legal - in some areas anyway.

Read the regs. I did last night and it is a permitted by permit. I do not know what the permitting process is, but it cannot be that hard.

Matt

I will admit dum about bear hunting with dogs in alaska, BUT

In Ontario the bears deal with wolves and the wolve won't mess with the bears un less the bear is close to death like a gut shot bear. And the bears there don't run from hounds they eat them. There just little muts in the food chain. They like the lungs or at least start with them.

No one anywhere I have ben hunting to in ONTARIO hunts with dogs for bear because this is the resualt it just happens.

It seems to me your friend would have a better hunt if it were a baited stand with aproperate access for his needs. I have done alot of bear huinting and its what I would do. Truck, ATV, Boat access lots of possibilities.

Default I've gotten permit to use dogs for black bears

Yes, it is legal in Alaska (with a permit from ADFG) to hunt black bear with dogs. I'd have to review my permit as to how many dogs are allowed etc. Most people I know who do it only use one or two bear dogs. There are some other stipulations too, like being a certain distance from a dwelling etc.

My area bio had never given a permit for this before so there was some talking with Juneau and getting it figured out, but it's just a matter of getting the right form, filling it out, and you must send it back in after the season and answer the questions on the form.

Default Dogs

I would say just be careful with your running hounds in AK. I have hunted with hounds for years in Idaho. We chased bears all over the state every year. But up here the Brown/Griz population is significant. Your strike dog may hit a bear scent, then you turn him/her loose with the rest of the dogs only to find out that they are on a Griz and I can imagine that it only get worse from there. I know that an old mountain cat that won't tree will do a number on a hound, I can only imagine what a griz would do them.

AC

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    I will admit dum about bear hunting with dogs in alaska, BUT

In Ontario the bears deal with wolves and the wolve won't mess with the bears un less the bear is close to death like a gut shot bear. And the bears there don't run from hounds they eat them. There just little muts in the food chain. They like the lungs or at least start with them.

No one anywhere I have ben hunting to in ONTARIO hunts with dogs for bear because this is the resualt it just happens.

It seems to me your friend would have a better hunt if it were a baited stand with aproperate access for his needs. I have done alot of bear huinting and its what I would do. Truck, ATV, Boat access lots of possibilities.
    My grandfather hunted black bear for YEARS in West Virginia...his favorite bear dogs were just little 20 pound mutts. Out of the decades that he hunted with dogs, he only had 1 dog wounded by a bear. Usually the dogs will tree the bear. Grizzlys on the other hand...that's a different story...

Default Help

AK Duckman, If you need help with this let me know.
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default Dogs for bears...

I was just reading another post prior to this one and there was a couple links attached for ADF&G. I read them about bear skinning and such. Towards the end there was talk of using dogs and having an permit for use in bear hunts, so it sounds like you should be able to. As for the problem bears im just curious where they are causing these problems on Elmendorf. Hoping that the use of dogs is to draw them away from public areas and housing prior to taking them out. I would like to hear how this method pans out, keep us informed. Good luck to those who attend and the dogs.

Default I do

I have a permit for my dog. Good for use in units 7 and 15. Upto four dogs. Will just be using one. I had permits the last two springs out in unit 6D. If nothing else she is legal to run free. I have always had a shock collar on her. She has yet to be injured badly. She had a cut below her eye once but believe it was from running through the brush.

She has yet to tree a bear. She has chased atleast one bear, I saw it go down! Pretty funny! A 16# dog tearing after a nice blackie! That bear tucked tail and ran! On the other hand she had been so far ahead in the steep terrian in PWS and was barking like nuts, but could not get to her those few times, so who knows. She has been on 9 bear kills and just loves it! She is bread for it. I know a pack is better, but I only have one! She is good and holds her ground. Very smart. Just hope to get her on bears if not this spring then during the summer.

We are putting out a bait also. I don't think it will be getting hit till mid May at the earliest but more than welcome to hunt with us if still around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default what kind of dog is that akrstabout?

looks like a little black and tan.....but shes only 16lbs? i've got a twenty pounds beagle....i wonder if she'd chase bears.....do they give the permits out for area 14?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default German Jag'd Terrier

The breed was made from Fox terrier and the Black and Tan hound. Yes she is only 16#'s. She is freakin ripped! She handles her self just fine. rarely backs down from anything.

She is good in the house, no barking or baying. Fairly calm. Good natured. Loves to hunt! She is always hunting. On the trail she only barks if she cuts a fresh scent or sees the animal. Lately just hares.

I ordered her out of Delta Colorado. I don't believe that kennel breeds them anymore. Double Tree Farms is where I bought her. Best looking pure breed papered dogs I found on the net. I didn't register her and had her spayed. People on here have seen her in action. I just love it when she does her barking thing!

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    do they give the permits out for area 14?

Not sure. I never asked. I was also told no permits for unit 6 two years ago, got them two years in a row! This year the lady said no dog permits on the Kenai Pen. Well I have one in hand! Another dude their, customer or whatever said they had not handed out permits in years down there. So not sure what they will say about 14. I would think it would be open.

Page 27, second paragraph up from the bottom on right, above the page number. Says nothing about units. Talk to the Bio. Show them the regs. Everyone in there has different answeres. I don't expect them to know every page and aspect of the regs. But to say NO right off the bat gets me going.

Default Mtn Curs

There is a guy in Delta who is big into Mtn curs who has a permit and does well with them as well. Its impressive to watch his dogs work a bear.

I'm sorry I briefly read this post this morning. and was thinking Grizz, not blackies. My buddy has a bear dog and has tried tried to get a season for grizz/dog, with no such luck. We have also spoke to F&G about hounds for cats also. Again no such luck. Again sorry, I'll read posts a little more thoroughly, so I don't continue to provide bad information.

Default how tall is she?

in that picture she looks to be about 16-18 inches tall....her legs look much longer than my 14 inch beagle.....my dog hunts great but really only hare.....to be honest i dont' think she has ever smelled a bear track in the woods....i know she knows what they smell like...since i work in a taxidermy shop and all last spring/summer i was skinning and fleshing bears.....and she goes to work with me all day and sleeps in the corner...she does love to chase, i have just never put her on a bear....whos knows about 14...i'll call the boys there in palmer on monday and see what they have to say...i imagine though be fairly "flat" ground around here though you could have a run on your hands to get one to tree IF you get one to tree...what collar do you use for her...i have a sportdog(that needs to be repeatedly run over with my truck)..i was thinking about getting a mid grade tri-tronics....a friend of mine uses one on her chessies and she gives them a thumbs up
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Nellie

She stands around 16" I believe. About an inch over what a average hight is for the females in this breed. She is fast, agile, and gets in and around the animals without getting caught like the bigger hounds. By seeing her you would not believe she is a big game hunter. Sweet disposition and all. Just mention, Bear, Moose, Rabbit or cat and she perks up and starts scanning the horizon!

I use a Dogtra 1200 I believe. It is recommended for beagle size dogs. In the pic you can see it, looks a little big on her. Cabelas had them on sale years back. It is light though, just bulky. Sportsmans used to carry them. Fully waterproof and good for a 1 mile range. Does good. $280 I think.

Default Sorry

I should of stated black bears didn't mean for this to start out on the wrong foot. I was just trying to kill two bears with one stone, HA HA. Get some hunting action for our heros and get rid of some problems at the same time. Even though I will be out of town for three months and won't have to deal with them to much this year. If a bear has to go I would rather see it go to someone that deserves it. Like I mentioned it's still talk and wouldn't be a set number. even if we could get one hero a bear it would be worth it. Maybe the city of Anchorage should think of doing the same thing. Thats something I would like to to see some stimulus money go to.
    y2kadle PM sent.

I live in Wisconsin and I hunt bear with hounds all the time its a blast and I think everyone should try it!! Its not EASY like everyone thinks it is!! Honestly its a blast!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast