Thread: Equinox 124 Kayak - Reviews?

Default Equinox 124 Kayak - Reviews?

I am thinking about getting a kayak for this summer and recently saw the Equinox 124 in stock at Costco. It's a pretty good price ($360), and it caught my eye since I am not looking to spend a ton of money on a kayak right now. I am definitely a beginner and am just planning on taking it out on lakes and maybe slow rivers.

Does anyone have one of these or has anyone paddled one of these before? I couldn't find a whole lot of online reviews for the 124 model.

Thanks!

Default get it!

I have been kayaking for years and have used many kayaks. Most often I am just fooling around in the local delta-river and I use one of two kiwi kayaks I have. I saw the equinox 124 at Costco and just about flipped. That price is incredible, even if it didn't come with a paddle and a roof rack. The fact that the bottom is not flat will make it much more stable and track in a straight light much better the kiwi. That alone has me considering it since I hate that feature of the kiwi.

I think my kiwis cost about the same amount but...
    1) the bottom of my kiwis are flat and tend to get warped and it doesn't track very straight and is not all that rigid. When you stop paddling it turns sharp to one side or the other so it doesn't "coast" very well. After looking at the design of the Equinox 124 I don't think that will be a problem with its multi-channeled hull.
    2) the kiwi has a terrible seat; the equinox has a great seat
    3) the kiwi has no water tight hatches; the equinox does...although don't be fooled if you haven't seen them in person, they are not all that big but still big enough for a few items like a jacket, your wallet, keys and cell phone and maybe even lunch.
    4) The adjustable foot pegs are much smoother than on my kiwis.
    5) I am not sure what the "Adjustable Easy Rider™ comfort thigh pads" are designed to do exactly, but they appear as if they are to keep your thighs from bruising on the edge of the opening when you have your legs bent. I can't believe they actually thought of this...I HATE that about my Kiwi but never thought anyone would actually do something about it.
    6) there are bungie straps both front and rear, which my kiwi doesn't have.
    7) There are cup holders, which my kiwi doesn't have
    8) There are handles, both front and rear, which only one of my kiwis has.
    9) There are drain plugs both front and rear, whcih my kiwis don't have.
    10) This comes with a paddle and a roof rack. Go check out what those things cost. If you are really good shopper this will run you less than $100 but in most cases I would say that is at least a $100 value.
    11) It has paddle holders both front and back; which only one of my kiwis has.

If you want to get into kayaking for cheap this is a great little boat. I wouldn't take it in any rough water and be fore warned that there is a big difference between a kayak with a rudder and one without...but for this price I really can't find any reason not to get one. (Even if you have a bit of kayak experience I would suggest taking a class at your local shop once you get your boat. The price you pay could very well save your life someday...and it will definitely lead to a more enjoyable use of your kayak. often times they have free days where they take out groups to try their gear so you can even get in on some training without having to pay or buy anything. AND GET A LIFE JACKET...NO MATTER WHAT! A huge percentage, like 95%, of fatal boating accidents happen around boats with life jackets...but the people weren't wearing them...but the people figured they were good enough swimmers that they would be fine. Don't risk it; your family and friends will thank you.

Lightbulb Equinox 124

Quote Originally Posted by chickadee View Post
    I am thinking about getting a kayak for this summer and recently saw the Equinox 124 in stock at Costco. It's a pretty good price ($360), and it caught my eye since I am not looking to spend a ton of money on a kayak right now. I am definitely a beginner and am just planning on taking it out on lakes and maybe slow rivers.

Does anyone have one of these or has anyone paddled one of these before? I couldn't find a whole lot of online reviews for the 124 model.

Thanks!
    Hello chickadee -

You're right... $360 sounds like it's pretty hard to find a better bargain.

Couple things to think about:

1.) You mentioned that you are a beginner just planning lakes and slow stuff today... yet what about tomorrow?

2.) You found an economy boat with limited to possibly no experience today... yet how about your learning curve and the boats limitations come tomorrow?

Positive Comments:

A. The Equinox 124 is a spacious single hard-shell pond, estuary, or mellow water kayak that is designed to be forgiving, stable, made of durable molded plastic.

B. Available now locally at Costco

C. Comes with some neat features and accessories.

D. Tho' only exclusive sales through Costco... manufacturer has a website.

Negatives:

a. Heavier than most similar purpose and designed 10' boats.

b. Much more limited on weight caring capacity than most similar 10' boats.

c. The a & b mix negatively effect forgiving performance and easy shallow draft (what you want the boat for)

d. You should ask Costco if they plan to support your small investment... or are you stuck with it and no resale value if there is a problem. Might call the Company first!

I know some will say - gee whiz, it's just an economy boat... what more could you ask of this kayak, its sales, and company? I'll say - I want someone to stand behind product, and in this economy accountability means something to me.

On a side note: Maybe not as cozy for cold or quite as gear accommodating... BUT A sit on top would be easier to get in or out of plus same goes for fallin' in the drink and remounting with no bilge necessary.
    Brian Richardson

We picked up one last year and had fun paddling around local lakes and protected bays in PWS. For that use it's a perfect boat, and I'd say if it's the difference between having something you can afford to get on the water, and waiting another year or two to save up for the perfect boat, then I'd say go for it. I doubt you'd have much trouble selling it for say $250 down the road if you decide the upgrade.

My only complaint is the spray skirt is next to impossible to keep on the hull and sans skirt you'll get wet as water drips off the paddle.

It is fairly tippy, and if say you are on lower fire lake and a float plane is taking off, make sure you are perpendicular to the wake. I was keeping my eyes on the kids in our raft and learned this the hard way I was wearing my life jacket, and kicked to the little island to drain the water out of it. They had a good laugh, and I got a good dunking. Oh, and keep your cell phone in a dry bag

The kids took right to it.

Default I just bought one...

...and it is great. I just sold my kiwi kopapa and Hydra Minnow for $350 A PIECE and bought two these kayaks WITH soft rack and a GREAT paddle for about $350 including tax.

It has great features although, yes, it is a heavier than a kiwi. I think it is well worth it.

And the person who said they bought one last year is referring to a difference model/company since clearly their pictures are of a different vessel.

http://equinoxkayaks.com/produits_124.html

So far I have taken it in my local delta/river and it has been great especially when it comes to tracking in a straight line. That was the worst part of the Kiwis...you spend half your energy steering them back on course. The front and back hatches are great for storage and these things are anything but tippy. Just take a look at the hull and you will see that it would be pretty hard to flip it. I had it out with power boats and never had to worry about flipping. I can't speak to the spray skirt issue but I didn't see why it wouldn't stay in place (it doesn't come with one though). The paddle in those pictures is also different than the one that comes with the new boat. The new paddle is very good and is quite comparable to the one I purchased seperately online a few months back for $60. The paddle comes with drip rings which helps quite a bit at keeping water from getting to you.

...and, it is Costco so if you don't like it you can return it but I will guarantee you will like it.

Note: Bass Pro Shop has great life vests. I kayak a lot and their cheap $20 one is great. It is mesh topped, for less sweating than most, has a neoprene collar and has two big pockets, which most vest don't have.

http://tinyurl.com/qqqlja

Good luck and have fun!

Guys,

I saw this at my local Costco and am thinking about picking one up. I was wondering if this boat would fair well in the ocean. Not riding waves but might be encountering some rough water.. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    We picked up one last year and had fun paddling around local lakes and protected bays in PWS. For that use it's a perfect boat, and I'd say if it's the difference between having something you can afford to get on the water, and waiting another year or two to save up for the perfect boat, then I'd say go for it. I doubt you'd have much trouble selling it for say $250 down the road if you decide the upgrade.
    If you are talking about the kayak in the pictures, this is not the same boat. The Equinox 124 is all yellow, has hatches with black rubber covers front and rear and has a fairly unique shape of the hull which I can see these boats don't have.

I have been using the Equinox 124 for a couple of months now with some 60 miles or more on the odometer along with a Perception Rhythm 11 for a couple of weeks now. The Equinox is much more stable, both in tracking and laterally. The Rhythm 11 tends to tip a bit if I just tip my head back to look at stars while the Equinox is rock solid. The Rhythm 11 also will not go straight to save my life. It reminds me of the way they design fighter planes to be unstable so that they will turn faster. The Equinox is just the opposite; it just goes where you point it and it rolls over waves from the side. I have had some waves break over the bow and come into the cockpit, but then that is why they have skirts, isn't it? So I tend to catch waves on the side if I can.

To anyone who has not done any kayaking before, I would say this is a great one to start with. The price is clearly right and you don't have to worry with what to buy (there are so many to choose from) and you don't have to pick out a paddle (many places have a limited selection and most of those are pricey). BTW, I found a great paddle at Dick's by Azul with fiberglass shaft for only $50. I haven't seen any others that come near this quality for this price.

My only concern with the Equinox 124 is that I have done little with this kayak other than put it in the water and then carry it up to my front porch to keep it out of direct sunlight. But it has some bulges on the bottom where the seat deck is connected to the hull. I expect these bulges slow the kayak a bit and I am concerned that eventually they will be stress points that crack the hull. I have been reading up a bit on several kayaks and I have read where some boats do that.

I like both kayaks though. The Equinox is just so stable it is great for sneaking up on wild life. I can stop paddling and it will coast in a straight line forever. The Rhythm 11 has much more room for my legs and feet and the seat is much more comfortable.

It is fairly tippy, and if say you are on lower fire lake and a float plane is taking off, make sure you are perpendicular to the wake. I was keeping my eyes on the kids in our raft and learned this the hard way I was wearing my life jacket, and kicked to the little island to drain the water out of it. They had a good laugh, and I got a good dunking. Oh, and keep your cell phone in a dry bag

The kids took right to it.

Is this what you are calling the Equinox 124? This looks like a Pelican Pursuit to me. Try this page...

http://equinoxkayaks.com/produits_124.html

Rick

I didn't realize the difference between the kayaks costco carried last year and this year, they looked the same at a casual glance, but I can see that there is a signifigant difference in the designs.

My point was, for not alot of $ you can get a capable little boat.

Thumbs up I got one and used it on the east fork of the 6 mile

I got one of these from costco for myself and one for my wife. Great little recreational kayak. I took mine down the east fork of the 6 mile, not the class 4 and 5 part but the upper part above the highway. It handled well, very stable. Not a fast turning boat, so I wouldn't take it in any fast water. I got dumped by a sweeper that I couldn't turn past fast enough. Another girl was in the same boat and got dumped as well. I will stick to slow/very slow waters and flat water from now on with this boat. It is a good starter kayak with lots of great features.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Thanks for the info! Not sure what I want to do yet, it definitely sounds like a good little boat for casual paddling/wildlife viewing, which is what I want. I am trying to get over some "water fear" but I have really enjoying kayaking the few times I have gone out. My hubby and I have also discussed getting a tandem with a child seat, since we have a toddler. I think we are going to go to REI Paddle Days and give that a try to see if our son will even sit still in a boat!

For a family of three, you might find a canoe much more useful. Some of our favorite trips have been in the Kenai National Wildlife refuge, canoeing the various lakes and camping out. We started when our youngest was 1 y/o. My wife would sit in the bow seat with our little one between her legs, our other kids in the middle seat, and I'm man the back.

If you can afford it, I'd highly recomend one of the royalex type canoes vs. the rotomolded canoes. The inexpensive roto molded canoes have a tendendancy to oil can (the bottom flexs up) which makes them less eficient to paddle than a hull that holds it shape. Also the roto molded canoes are very heavy, which makes it a pain to portage them.

Default Equinox 124 Kayak Review

I own this Kayak ... purchased it about a month or so ago ... and so far it's been a blast. I'm impressed with its construction, it's very durable (and a bit heavy for its size.) But it definitely holds up well in calm(ish) seas. I've paddled several times in Long Island Sound just off CT. Good tracking, very stable ... and can cut through the waves pretty well.

This is by no means an expensive Kayak, but can keep up with most of them. For short day trips I think it's great. Plus it comes with a bunch of extras, like covered compartments and straps, as well as padded thigh protectors and seat, you'd only see on pricier kayaks.

The only other downside, aside from the weight, is probably speed. You won't be racing any 14-foot kayaks in this thing.

This kayak is nearly identical to its cousin, the Future Beach Patriot 126. (http://www.futurebeach.com/5_kayaks/index.html) They're both made by a company called "GSC Technologies" in Upstate NY, which I suppose has a factory in Canada since my kayak had a "Made in Canada" sticker on it.

All in all .. you can't beat the value. Throw in paddles and foam bricks for the roof ... you've got a sale! I have not been disappointed!

Wink Equinox 124 Kayak

We recently purchased two of these Kayaks from Costco. So far we love them! We just got back from a vacation to Lake Tahoe, CA. The water was a bit choppy and cool, the boats handled it all with no problems, got a few good sized wakes, took them head on and not a drop of water over the bow. They track straight and we were surprised at how far and fast we went with not much effort. I agree they seem a bit heavy, we had to carry them quite a distance. We do plan on buying some wheels for them. We did a lot of shopping for a Kayak and found that the Costo Equinox was a pretty good deal with the paddles and cartop carrier.

The original post is from last year, but anyone who is considering buying an Equinox 124 should buy one. I got mine about a month ago, and it sat in my garage for 3 weeks, until last week when I took it on vacation to Itermediate Lake near Bellaire, Michigan. This is my first kayak, and I bought it from Costco because of the bargain that it was. Mine was $339 out the door.
    Previous replies explain the features and all you get with this kayak. I bought about $130 of equipment, PFD vest, bilge pump, whistle, air horn, tow strap, paddle tether and dry bag. Also baseball cap and UV glasses. Total investment well under $500.
    After 6 days of use and more than 20 miles, I would say it is a great bargain but also a great recreational kayak.
    It tracked well in smooth or rough water, very stable no matter which way the waves approached. Foot pegs keep you locked in for good control, seat is comfortable, all around I was very pleased with this purchase. I may buy another one for my wife.
    Only 2 negatives, the foam bulkhead behind the seat was not installed very well and I had to re-caulk it with silicone.
    The other negative was, I would hit one of the 3 bungee clips on the right side of the cockpit with my hand or paddle. Maybe technique was at fault , but I just removed the three clips and re-installed the screws. End of problem.
    I don't know about Alaska, but on inland lakes of Michigan this thing is great fun.

New tonight to this site. My wife and I are considering the Equinox Kayaks they are selling at Costco. I am 6ft. 4in. tall and the Equinox web-sit says that the cockpit is 37 inches in length. So I am wondering since I have a 34/35 inch pant inseam will this Kayak be to small for me. I suppose I can ask the guys at Costco to take the display model down so I could simply get inside and check it out. I was just wondering is anyone out there might also be in the 6ft. 4in catagorie or anyone with any knowledge regarding whether this Kayak will fit me or not....thanks.

So I am wondering since I have a 34/35 inch pant inseam will this Kayak be to small for me. I suppose I can ask the guys at Costco to take the display model down so I could simply get inside and check it out.
    Yup,,
    Get it down and see how you fit..
    don't even think about not doing that..
    Most kayak manufactures are making the cockpit opening bigger now days.
    You better hurry on your purchase, as once they are out of this years alotment, they are out for the season.
    I have seen them out of spring summer boat merchandise in just a few weeks once they hit the shelves.
    Have Fun
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by psave View Post
    New tonight to this site. My wife and I are considering the Equinox Kayaks they are selling at Costco. I am 6ft. 4in. tall and the Equinox web-sit says that the cockpit is 37 inches in length. So I am wondering since I have a 34/35 inch pant inseam will this Kayak be to small for me. I suppose I can ask the guys at Costco to take the display model down so I could simply get inside and check it out. I was just wondering is anyone out there might also be in the 6ft. 4in catagorie or anyone with any knowledge regarding whether this Kayak will fit me or not....thanks.
    Perchance you read some of my commentary... post #3 above.

I also find indus49's post #12 and KarenAnn's post #13 very good evaluations plus rational regarding the purchase.

these kayaks are all about getting out on the water... reasonably entry-level, nothing too demanding in terms of conditions, not trying to compete along the lines of more advanced boats/boaters, and keeping to day-trippin' lighter loads.

I second the climbing into the display model as well as getting PFD with other accessories/gear that can be of importance once out on the water.

Welcome to the Kayak Forum and Alaska Outdoors Directory.
    Brian Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Hello chickadee -

You're right... $360 sounds like it's pretty hard to find a better bargain.

Couple things to think about:

1.) You mentioned that you are a beginner just planning lakes and slow stuff today... yet what about tomorrow?

2.) You found an economy boat with limited to possibly no experience today... yet how about your learning curve and the boats limitations come tomorrow?

Positive Comments:

A. The Equinox 124 is a spacious single hard-shell pond, estuary, or mellow water kayak that is designed to be forgiving, stable, made of durable molded plastic.

B. Available now locally at Costco

C. Comes with some neat features and accessories.

D. Tho' only exclusive sales through Costco... manufacturer has a website.

Negatives:

a. Heavier than most similar purpose and designed 10' boats.

b. Much more limited on weight caring capacity than most similar 10' boats.

c. The a & b mix negatively effect forgiving performance and easy shallow draft (what you want the boat for)

d. You should ask Costco if they plan to support your small investment... or are you stuck with it and no resale value if there is a problem. Might call the Company first!

I know some will say - gee whiz, it's just an economy boat... what more could you ask of this kayak, its sales, and company? I'll say - I want someone to stand behind product, and in this economy accountability means something to me.

On a side note: Maybe not as cozy for cold or quite as gear accommodating... BUT A sit on top would be easier to get in or out of plus same goes for fallin' in the drink and remounting with no bilge necessary.
    I bought two two years ago and think they are great. As for limited storage, it has more than most of that same size and has a sealed rear bulkhead and a small sealed front storage for wallet, gps, phone, etc. It is a little heavier than other kayaks the same size, but it is super stable and tracks great even in heavy wind. I purchased 2 size 2.2 Seals Spray Skirts which fit pretty tightly. The boats are made for flat to moderate water and are slow to respond in really fast water due to thier size and weight. Great day tripper. We are taking ours to Seward this summer and will do some sheltered paddling with them.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Great to hear and good your having fun - Cheers! It really is about getting out on the water is it not? Everything I've said has truly come out when you read the positive and negative testimony or best usage for these economy kayaks.

Perchance you read my recent follow-up to post #3.

More or less related same info and resonating this from my last reply... saying -

..... I also find indus49's post #12 and KarenAnn's post #13 very good evaluations plus rational regarding the purchase.

These kayaks are all about getting out on the water... reasonably entry-level, nothing too demanding in terms of conditions, not trying to compete along the lines of more advanced boats/boaters, and keeping to day-trippin' lighter loads.

I second the climbing into the display model as well as getting PFD with other accessories/gear that can be of importance once out on the water.

Welcome to the Kayak Forum and Alaska Outdoors Directory....

Good Paddling!
    Brian Richardson