Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning model 81 lighweight takedown...

Default Browning model 81 lighweight takedown...

The two attached images are of my Browning BLR Lightweight Takedown in 450 Marlin. This is my light rifle carry rifle that I will leave in Alaska for others to use. I choose it over the Marlin for various reasons.

• It is much stronger and can handle magnum calibers.
    • It can shoot true spitzers of quality when used for hunting.
    • It is more accurate, in line with a quality bolt gun … this with good spitzers makes this lever gun a 200-yard gun with iron sights, and further with a scope.
    • It uses a removable box magazine; therefore you can carry a spare magazine with heavy hard cast loads or solids if the need arises while hunting. This gives it versatility spanning defensive needs of high power and large caliber with solids, or spitzers that can take game at long range. You can go back and forth quickly and safely.
    • It is a takedown, which can be very advantageous in Alaska with the small aircraft and boat travel methods used there all the time.
    • It is reliable, as good as any lever gun, a CRF bolt gun it is not, nor is any other lever gun.

I am not being negative about the Marlins, only bringing up the positives of the Browning. No offense to Marlin shooters, a fine lever gun. This is about choice and having options, All American enterprise.

Are there any other Browning shooters out there? I do not see many on this forum.

The cartridges below the rifle and the two 450 rounds are: L to R, 416 Rigby, .458 Lott, 460 Weatherby, 505 Gibbs, and 600 Nitro!
    Last edited by Proud American; 08-25-2009 at 11:47.

I completely agree with you. If you search around the forums, I'm sure you were one of the people that read some of my discontent with others who down the blr. with that said.....you are shooting a cartridge that is also chambered in the marlin and was originally chambered in the marlin Thanks for the "BLR" support though....with all the Marlin Purists out there. I do like both rifles though.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Good to know.

That sounds good to me.
    (And, with a case that has two pockets, to fit the gun broken down, Great)
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

As a Marlin owner, the only thing on the list that I can contest is your better accuracy claim. I've seen plenty of 1/2" and under groups shot with a Marlin .45-70's and .450's at 100 yards. If you ask me, that's darn good accuracy for any stock rifle, bolt or not. That being said, Browning makes excellent leverguns, my Marlin is envious of their ability to shoot real spitzer bullets.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I am sure that there are Marlins that out shoot some BLRs, but I think overall the Brownings are more accurate due to design. In either case it doesn't matter to me for defense purposes because that is by the definition of the word, "up close and personal" shooting! Using a BLR in .308 with 168 grain boat tails, that is another matter.

Isn't it nice that we have a choice of rifles, or as some of us try to do, BUY BOTH!
    Last edited by Proud American; 04-16-2009 at 23:22. Reason: spelling correction

Default acurracy

I have owned 2 BLRs accurate guns no doubt, they do have some problems though. I own Marlins now and I to would dispute your accuracy claims. Marlins are almost always extremely accurate. Brian Pearce a writer for rifle mag. has written many articles and tested a bunch of them and has found the same thing. Again not picking on your BLR, I just had one fail a couple falls ago at a very bad time, and know others have had the same problem. If you spend a few bucks at WW guns with their marlin trigger and bear proof ejector you get 2 things #1 a very reliable gun #2 as good a trigger as any bolt gun. plus the marlin is cheaper! Takedown? see the ww guns takedown model called the co pilot!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am a Browning fan! I don’t happen to own any at present….. but I do like them, and wish I still had my nice Jap made BLR .243, that rifle could really shoot and was a nice looker to boot!

Regarding the use of spitzers and the .450 in your BLR, do you actually have enough length in the magazine to allow for the increased COL?

I do have a few gripes about the BLR though…. First off is the standard open sights that Browning puts on these guns. They are nice enough, but too low to use with Weaver bases and QRW rings, were a guy can just pop the scope off and be able to see over the Weaver bases and look thru the factory sights. With a lever gun, I really like the option of quickly switching between optics or iron sights, and the Browning BLR is problematic in this regard. Secondly is in regard to the disassembly and reassembly of the gun….. That dang rack and pinion bolt and lever was really a bear to put back together…. Of course there is a good chance that if I had know what the heck I was doing, it would have been much easier……. But with the Marlins, pretty much anybody with even the most rudimentary mechanical skills can completely disassemble and reassemble one with ease in just a few minutes… even when you have to pull the lever and bolt back out because you forgot to put the stupid ejector back in…..
    My last complaint about the browning is price! Now, I am not about to sit here and tell you that I believe the Marlin and Browning are comparable pieces regarding fit, finish and workmanship….. clearly it is advantage Browning in this regard. But still, with little shopping effort, you can generally buy two Marlins for the price of one Browning. So until big brother Barry stimulates me with some cold hard cash, I am gonna have to take a pass on the Browning.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Alangaq,

I'm not sure which bases you were using....but my warne bases and warne rings work fine in conjunction with the open sights. The Warne bases are actually more than low enough to see the sights because I switch between my scope and open sights all the time. You can probably scratch that gripe off your list.

I understand about the price, but you can get deals that take it down way less than 2 Marlins, but, and there always is a but in life, I am not selling Brownings, only making notes.

I have the takedown model, so if I did use a scope I would use their scout scope mount to keep it consistent since both are locked in alignment on the barrel. This means the iron sights have to come off, or you could mount it on the receiver and see if it changes much. If I were using here in the lower 48 where I would rarely take it apart since I travel by truck or car, not small planes or canoe, that would be just fine.

The primary use for the Browning is protection for me and my son in Alaska. If he or I hunt with it, we probably would use the iron sights in either case. If I want a scoped rifle I have one, or I would put it on my CZ 550 in .458 Lott. Every gun cannot be everything! That is why there is more than one golf club in my bag! :-)
    Last edited by Proud American; 04-17-2009 at 11:21. Reason: add a sentence

I have 2 BLRs in 308 and a Winchester model 88 308, all are great guns! They are all set up with double loop rings so I can look under the optic at the iron sights, I have had no trouble seeing over the weaver rail on my BLRs. I also have amassed a number of other lever action rifles from Marlin, Winchester, Rossi and love them all, but the one I love most in the model 88 Winchester closely followed by the BLRs.

I went through a sand storm in Arizona with my first BLR that ruined my glasses and filled everything with sand so bad it took an hour just to get it out of my mouth. The BLR was full of it also and when opening the action I could feel the gears crushing all that sand, but it cycled even so. I have had the old Marlins and Winchesters jam with the lever open wide as well as feed the flat nose into the top of the barrel and fold the round up or shove the bullet into the case. They all have weaknesses and it’s a matter of what a guy likes!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default comparing brands

I'm in the market for a lever action rifle, probably anything from a 30-30 to a 45-70, course not much in between with the exception of a 32. As my login says, BAR, I've owned Brownings, and think they are of good quality. I did end up selling the BAR to finance a 338 weatherby, (didn't need two 300's laying around) but that said, I held a Marlin 30-30 last night and ran the action, hmmm didn't think too much of it, definetely needed to be smoothed up some, Winchester makes some nice rifles, so I'm considering all brands and am watching these threads about Lever action rifles with considerable interest I'm not a handloader (yet) and not interested in wildcats, so probably like most on here, I use factory ammo in common offerings.

Default Lever Gun

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    I'm in the market for a lever action rifle, probably anything from a 30-30 to a 45-70, course not much in between with the exception of a 32. As my login says, BAR, I've owned Brownings, and think they are of good quality. I did end up selling the BAR to finance a 338 weatherby, (didn't need two 300's laying around) but that said, I held a Marlin 30-30 last night and ran the action, hmmm didn't think too much of it, definetely needed to be smoothed up some, Winchester makes some nice rifles, so I'm considering all brands and am watching these threads about Lever action rifles with considerable interest I'm not a handloader (yet) and not interested in wildcats, so probably like most on here, I use factory ammo in common offerings.
    GET the best of both worlds and purchase a 95 Winchester.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

The 454 Puma is a heck of a lever gun for the money, but the old 30-30 in a model 94 Winchester is a hard gun to beat and everyone needs to have one around in my view.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default sure

Just looked them up on gun broker, 5 grand is just a touch outside of my price range. I did read an article a while back that said they were bringing them back but haven't seen any of the "new" ones.

I do like that the older ones were designed by Browning when he still worked for Winchester.

Default Really

Just looked them up on gun broker, 5 grand is just a touch outside of my price range. I did read an article a while back that said they were bringing them back but haven't seen any of the "new" ones.

I do like that the older ones were designed by Browning when he still worked for Winchester.
    Check these out!!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.asp
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Your search won't come up for others, you need to link to the guns not the serrch.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Your search won't come up for others, you need to link to the guns not the serrch.
    Maybe this will work !

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=126891873

Yup. . . That worked!!

.405 what? I was hoping it would be a 30-06 like Teddy loved to hunt with.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

"I'm considering all brands and am watching these threads about Lever action rifles with considerable interest I'm not a handloader (yet) and not interested in wildcats, so probably like most on here, I use factory ammo in common offerings."

The 450 Marlin factory loads beat the 45/70 factory loads hands down! If you do not reload, or you do not want to pay out the nose for custom loads for the 45/70, then the 450 Marlin will suit you. If you like custom loads, then they are quite similar. The old adage "You can get 45/70 ammo anywhere" is not true in a majority of places in the lower 48 at least, and if you could, those downloaded rounds are not what you need in the first place. Get the round that works, and keep enough around...

Proud American, and Adfields,

You better stand by my side until the bitter end in regards to promoting the BLR. The two of you have been a loyal, intelligent, and objective backing to our arguements regarding the stoutness and reliability of the BLR. When my 416 NMA (Not Murphy Approved) Browning Lever Rifles are complete.......you two loyalists will be the first ones to tote them......I'll make darn sure of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast