Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax Day Bull...rare?

Default Tax Day Bull...rare?

Pulling into the driveway yesterday evening, saw this feller eating my trees in the front yard. Still has some headgear. This is definitely the latest (or earliest ) I've seen a bull still sporting a rack. Anyone ever hear of a bull just not dropping them at all? Looks like he's pretty healthy....was with a cow and calf...

Sorry Hunt'n'Photos, RayinAK, Dan, etc. for the poor pics....

Default There's no velvet...

so pretty sure that that's last years growth...& yeah, that's pretty odd to see 'em with head gear this late...

Thumbs up

Definately an odd one.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Saw a bull in Anchorage last week that had one antler still onboard. This was along the coastal trail in the Turnagain area.

Default 2nd that

Also saw a bull in my neighborhood last week, sporting a rack. Seems to me that this is somewhat normal for younger, small bulls.

Saw a one horned bull in the Sand lake area of Anch. Yesterday. About the same size as the one pictured.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

If hes been castrated he will not drop his antlers but normally they are always in velvet and grow year round most of the time very abnormally.
    I say this assuming that moose are the same as deer in this respect, when I was a kid in OK we had a whitetail "cactus buck" roaming around the farm for a few years and man did he have some gnarly headgear. My dad and uncles shot several mule deer back in the 80s in CO that had big rack that never came out of velvet and none of those boys had any "tackle" if you know what I mean. But if he does drop them maybe they'll fall in your yard that'd be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    If hes been castrated

Why would he be running around sans balls?

I saw a spike-fork bull a week or so ago that was still sporting.

Default 04/16/09

Two small bulls in the backyard this evening. One new bull one still has one fork still hanging on. The same bull pictured I think is back with the smaller one.....without a set. We put the binos on him and two little pink patches where a set might go. If its the same one, he just dropped 'em. Gonna do some tromping around and try and find 'em!

that looks like one of the ones ive seen hanging around my house in palmer been watching it for a few weeks theres 3 bulls that i can tell that hang out iwth it and some cows the other 2 are smaller and then one yearling

Default April antlers

I would say that is rare. I have never seen a bull with a rack in April in the 27 years I have been up here. I think your picures are ok. Maybe tomorrow you will find the antlers laying next to the birch tree!

There is a condition some of the deer here on kodiak have where they are sterile and grow odd racks that dont shed. Cant remember the name of it, anyone know?

Default It's called

Inbreeding

Default 3 small bulls

I have seen 3 small bulls moving with a nice cow that all still have their headgear on.. all are bigger than spike fork, but no where near 50"... Wife saw 2 of them monday with their antlers still on.. This is near Palmer on springer loop

Default odd bull

There was a bull wondering around Anchorage (Arctic/International area) several years ago that never lost his antlers. If I remember correctly F&G knew about him for a few years.
    I have a couple of pictures of him form about ten years ago. I will have to do some digging, but I'll see if I can find them. The antlers looked like a cross between fossil and coral, very weird looking.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Inbreeding
    No, thats not what I was thinking of! I just came across it, called
    cryptorchidism. The antlers dont lose their velvet, and dont shed and their testicles dont drop from the abdominal cavity. Because of the lack of testosterone in their body they dont follow the seasonal breeding rituals.

Talking Fancy Names

If I remember they believe that the Cryptorchidism is a caused by the low genetic diversity as a result of a high occurrance of inbreeding.

Default Late droppers

The bulls I saw were all hard horned, normal moose that weren't in velvet..... 2 of them were even lightly sparing with each other.. I know the bigger ones lose their antlers first, but these guys had small racks..

Saw one up on UAF a week ago, sporting spike horns and was in velvet. Did think it was odd to see that this early in the year. Good pics though and good information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast