Thread: Is It Hard To Change A Drive Belt

Default Is It Hard To Change A Drive Belt

I Thought About Picking Up An Extra V Belt For My Grizzly And Carrying It With Me This Summer Just In Case Of A Failure. I Looked In The Manual And It Is Not Mentioned. Does Anyone Know How Hard It Is To Change These Out. Also, Any Insights On How Common Of A Failure This Part Is. This Is My First Atv And I Dont Want To Get Stuck Out In The Middle Of Nowhere. Thanks.

Default belt

Don't know about changing it, Dan, but you shouldn't have to. Drain the pitcock
    by your right footpeg often (pull, don't twist) and check out the post "ATV's" about five down from Fullkurl and others.

Default not hard

I don't know for sure about the Grizzly but my Polaris isn't hard. The worst part is getting to the belt. With the polaris I have to take off the footwell so the clutch cover will clear. I've never broken a belt or HAD to change one, but I have had it off several times for simple things like cleaning, tinkering, and just looking around in there. I can't imagine that Yamaha is much different. Once you have access to the belt, just pull up on the belt in between the clutches and the secondary clutch should let the belt slip up into it enough you can work the belt off the primary. If it doesn't give you enough room, simply push the inside sheave of the secondary clutch toward the machine and turn clockwise slightly. The clutch will open up and you can fish the belt off with your other hand. One thing to remember, check your tool kit to make sure you have the right tools to get to the belt. A belt in the woods with you won't make any difference if you aren't able to get the clutch cover off.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Belts

Even if your belt does slip, it will get you home unless it completely snaps (highly unlikely), if it does happen to get wet do like mentioned before, drain the water out of the case (if your machine has a spot to drain from) and put it in neutral and rev the throttle for awhile, this should dry your belt out enough to get you home. belts do slip, but if you use low gear when going up really steep hills, through thick mud, or running big, heavy tires, you shouldn't have any problems. BTW, they do make clutch kits to minimize the possibility of this happening. Check out EPI on the web.
    Mooseman

I know where you can get a Grizzly service manual online. It will guide you through changing the belt. PM me for details.

The Kawi's and Po's have a spin and grab type system. The wet clutch of a grizz is different on most levels. I dont know how that woudl effect changing the belt though.

I bought a Grizzly 660 last year and have the owner's manual for it. According to the manual you remove the right foot rest, and the belt housing cover. There are two bolts in there somewhere that you screw into the secondary sheave in the holes made for this purpose. They are on either side of the nut holding the sheave onto the shaft.This causes the sheave to spread open allowing you to remove the belt and replace it with a new one making sure to put it on with the arrows going forward. It doesn't sound like rocket science but I'm not sure where you locate the two bolts. They must be screwed into place in there where the are readily visible. You'd want a socket set to remove the bolts from the belt housing as the little tool kit that comes with the machine would be next to worthless.

Default That sounds similar to....

some of the newer snowmachine clutches now. I think the bolts to spread the sheaves are something you have to buy, they are not on the machine anywhere. They probably made the threads some God awful metric BS that you can only find at the dealer. A friend of mine had a tool that you screw into the clutch that kind of looks like a "T" handle wrench. It spreads the sheaves apart nicely, just don't forget to take the tool/bolts out when you are done (makes a baaaad noise).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Griz belt

Dan,

This link should tell you all you need to know-pictures too.

http://www.grizzhopper.com/cvt-maint.html

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock
    I Thought About Picking Up An Extra V Belt For My Grizzly And Carrying It With Me This Summer Just In Case Of A Failure. I Looked In The Manual And It Is Not Mentioned. Does Anyone Know How Hard It Is To Change These Out. Also, Any Insights On How Common Of A Failure This Part Is. This Is My First Atv And I Dont Want To Get Stuck Out In The Middle Of Nowhere. Thanks.
    Save your money. The Yamaha Ultramatic tranny is the best on the market. Been around for years. My friend and I run Grizzlies with larger tires, motor mods, and have pushed them hard. No belt problems. The polaris tranny is known for belt problems that's why Polaris guys carry extra belts.

If you anticipate water then you can re route yout rear tranny exhaust like we have done. Go to www.atvfrontier.com to the forums. My friend SilverTip Griz is the Yamaha forum moderator and lives in Chugach. Lots of good info there on the Griz as well as www.highlifter.com.

Enjoy your Griz, it's a great machine!