Thread: Montague land ownership & questions

Default Montague land ownership & questions

Looking at hunting on Montague somewhere between San Juan Bay and Beach River, either tenting it or possibly renting a cabin. Anyone know where I can find out where the Native and private property is located on the island? I'm assuming we'll be going up to the deer as we're going mid-October and I don't expect significant snow fall, if any. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which bay or area to get dropped off at to avoid serious humping through swamp or marshes?

Thanks,

Tim

Try to get a skiff out there with you and a brown bear tag. Good luck hiking around that place depending on where you are. I would not hike to much but sit and wait. Let the deer make the mistake. Contact my friend if you want liveaboard/transporter services. www.alaskanelite.com

Wink it's owned by Ahtna...

& Other Natives...don't even think about hunting there...

it's owned by Ahtna...
    & Other Natives...don't even think about hunting there...

Since when is Montague island owned by these entities ?

Montague is not a native owned Island. Native land has to be clearly marked and you must be warned and then you have to be dumb enough to wait for F&G to show up and catch you. So, if you stay and wait it is your own fault.

Default was jokin'...

guys, sorry if you didn't get the humor...

I do believe that Chugach AK Corp. owns land on the island, and I think there is private property too.

Tim

tc,
    I sent you PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPhillips View Post
    tc,
    I sent you PM.
    I pm'd you back and I believe I sent you an email at your work address. My phone # and contact info is in the email.

Tim

Default map

I got a really good map from the Forest Service at 3301 C St suite 300 Anchorage, AK 99503 that shows the native ownership. www.fs.fed.us/r10chugach/ They also lsist offices in other places where the map can be obtained.

Chugach Native Corporation own a lot of land in PWS and is nice enough to have a map on their webpage. http://www.chugach-ak.com/landsmapmain.html You can click on specific areas for a more detailed look. If you are interested in using their land then you have to get a permit, they cost $25 per person per day, pretty reasonably priced compared to some other land owners in this state.

Bronco beat me to it. Dave Philips is the man to talk to at Chugach. He's a good guy and a member around here that doesn't post much.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem