Thread: Best place to bring kids to fish salt from shore?

Default Best place to bring kids to fish salt from shore?

I have two kids and Im sure Im not the only one who will benifit from this question.

What are some of the better places to bring the kids.
    I've always like the end of homer spit.

What area this early in the year?

Let's hear some ideas.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Not really this time of the year, but as fishing gets going, I like to bring my son to Lowell Point in Seward.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

You can try probably any of the harbor areas with bait on the bottom and have a fair chance at something. End of the Spit is good, too. Try casting a silver spoon for dollies early on in the season (like now through May). I like Homer for shore fishing better because it's not as rocky and not as likely to break off on something, but that's me. I'm sure the shore in Seward would produce as well or even better, as the rockfish like the rocks...lol.

Default I might just drive to homer.

All this talk makes me want to leave right now. I think if the weather holds out I will head down. Have the first campfire of the year and mabey even get the kids on some small fish.
    I think I'll bring my surf rod and launch some bigger bait and or some chum.
    AHH summer is almost here.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I gave the Homer spit about a dozen casts or so last Wednesday morning without a strike. Usually, though later in the year, I'll have at least a sculpin within one or two casts. There was a sea lion patrolling near the shore, like only 5-10 yds. out, which seemed a little odd. Lots of birds but no sign of the fish processor dumping out there yet, though I could have just missed it. But I'd head down and give it a more thorough try right now if I could...instead, I just began a three week "tour" up here on the Slope.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Hands Down, Allison Point in Valdez in mid-July. A pole with a pixie and they will catch pinks until they can't hold their pole anymore. Pinks get so thick you could almost walk across the bay at times. My youngest use to hook them and run up the bank because he couldn't reel them in as he was too small. Just too cute. I recommend that you don't tie the pixie direct to the line. Put on an 18" steel leader, and let them loose. If you don't use a leader, I recommend you re-tie the pixie every other fish. Lots of sharp rocks in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Hands Down, Allison Point in Valdez in mid-July. A pole with a pixie and they will catch pinks until they can't hold their pole anymore. Pinks get so thick you could almost walk across the bay at times. My youngest use to hook them and run up the bank because he couldn't reel them in as he was too small. Just too cute. I recommend that you don't tie the pixie direct to the line. Put on an 18" steel leader, and let them loose. If you don't use a leader, I recommend you re-tie the pixie every other fish. Lots of sharp rocks in that area.

I will most definently second that...watch out for the bears, keep an eye in the back of your head for those critters.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Allison Point

Allison Point is indeed kid friendly. Although last year was an unusual year for bear acticity here, there were no problems with people. Just keep your distance and be bear wise.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012