Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knik Area Bear Baiting

Default Knik Area Bear Baiting

Well hello all.. just wanted to start a thread on knik bears to keep up on how everything is doing for the area. Im putting my bait out tomorrow along with my game cam, so hopefully in the week following i will have some action and some pictures to post. IM interested to read on the first knik area bears. vance

Default Saw one

I saw one last week out their just to the east of friday creek. About treeline height.. It was a small bear maybe 5', I am going out this evening to put my barrel out and prepare my sight and plan to do some glassing. I'm planning on trying a new area out their that is a bugger to get to and logistacally it will be a challenge.

Default Blask bears

If you don't want to feed Brown bears hang your bait in a tree at least 20 feet off to ground. After you get a Back bear hitting your baits put your bait in a can on the ground. This will keep most of the brown bears off your baits saving you lots of time and money.
    Good luck

Set mine up yesterday W. of Knik. It was 30 degrees @ 6 a.m. snow was soft & melting fast. I was wishing for 10-15 degrees! By late afternoon it was a "bear" getting around even w/ snow shoes, an empty pack & sled.

R.J. nailed it on the brownies, but I let them tear it up & then go back in on 4-5 May & starighten it out after they pass through looken for moose veil. It was nice to get out & get things prepped for things to come! You all have fun this weekend!

well, i got the bait out on friday. jims creek is still frozen and should be clear of ice in the near future.. ITS warm out so hopefully the baits will start getting hit hard... i will be returning on thursday the 23 to refill and check for activity.... how is everyone else doing. anyone checked their bait after the 15th opener???

Best of luck to ya.

Saw a few people transporting bear baiting supplies at Knik on Saturday. Personally, I spend a lot of time at Knik and don't see much bear activity on the 14A side of the river. Roughly, out of the 70 or so trips I make to Knik each year I could be in the wrong places at the wrong times though.

Default akprideinvegas

akpride you are not going to get anything! because im going to get them first!

Default Knik Bears

Put the bait out today although each years my bait doesn't get hit until around the 9th of May, will check it in a week and see what is going on. Good luck to all.

Default bait check

well i checked the bait yesterday after filling it a week ago and there was no sign of bear. topped off the barrel from the previous trip that did not fill it and hung out a bit. Only found some moose tracks in the are. I will be Going back next week before the opener to check the game cam and hopefully fill the barrel. Anyone else getting hits yet?

Default Scat but no bear

I put my bait out on the 17th and just checked it today. Nothing at one of the sites but fresh scat at the other. I did glass one up high in an avalanche chute approx. 2500 feet elevation. Rebaited both sites with lots of bread, donuts and twinkies. I plan to check it again around Wednesday with the hopes of having one or two looking for something to eat.....

Plenty of bear on the 14A side! But you have to have an airboat or be a heck of a jet driver to get to them! There is no public access from Kinik River Road. We got one up there last year and if I am back come August the plan is to get 3 or 4 more! There used to be a lot of moose up there now it is mostly just the bears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Best of luck to ya.

Saw a few people transporting bear baiting supplies at Knik on Saturday. Personally, I spend a lot of time at Knik and don't see much bear activity on the 14A side of the river. Roughly, out of the 70 or so trips I make to Knik each year I could be in the wrong places at the wrong times though.

Default Champ

Lujon
    You need to get that Champ you wanted. Thengetting back there isn't so much trouble

Drew

stop TEMPTING ME!!! <grin> Luckly for the time being I am friends w/ the landowner at the end of KRR so I guess I can't technically use this as an excuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddler View Post
    Lujon
    You need to get that Champ you wanted. Then getting back there isn't so much trouble

Drew

Default noaat

I checked my bait Sat, Nothing.. Hung up a bait ball and some more call lure and put a trashbag of donuts in the barrel.. It was pretty windy, Hope the wind carrys the scent and something finds it by next weekend..

LuJon - Once I get the Cub figured out, we can go up on the Knik side and land on gravel bars to chase bears. Of course...since you've already got access figured out, maybe I'll have to take hunt_ak or Alaska_Lanche instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    LuJon - Once I get the Cub figured out, we can go up on the Knik side and land on gravel bars to chase bears. Of course...since you've already got access figured out, maybe I'll have to take hunt_ak or Alaska_Lanche instead.
    Heck I like those guys! Tell ya what I will haul all of our gear in to a good close landing area with the wheeler and then you can ferry all of us back in. That would make for a good hunt. You know that area is going back to a registration goat hunt next year

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Heck I like those guys! Tell ya what I will haul all of our gear in to a good close landing area with the wheeler and then you can ferry all of us back in. That would make for a good hunt. You know that area is going back to a registration goat hunt next year
    Indeed I do know that. Since my wife is going to take a goat this year before I've taken my first, I'll be on a mission to match her next year. Sounds like a plan.

well, on friday the hunting partners made it out to the stand and there are still were no hits, but we picked up a scent ball so we will see how that works out.... im headed out friday to check the bait, and if there are hits sit on it for the night.... the mosquitos are out hard already so the bears should not be far behind

well as of thursday may 7th, no hits yet, i have a scent ball, and my bait out... from past baiting experiance the 14 is when the bears start hitting, so im not worried yet, i have a few pictures of what looks like a mink... will be out again next thursday. how is everyone else doing?

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    well as of thursday may 7th, no hits yet, i have a scent ball, and my bait out... from past baiting experiance the 14 is when the bears start hitting, so im not worried yet, i have a few pictures of what looks like a mink... will be out again next thursday. how is everyone else doing?
    I had a hit the on either Wednesday night or Thursday morning, Sutton/Chickaloon area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast