Thread: European Moose mount pics

Default European Moose mount pics

Anybody have any pic's of a euro moose they would like to post? I'm trying to get some ideas on what to do with a moose rack. Thanks, Ken

Here are a couple pics of a 60"er I shot a couple years back
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One Last Cast"

Man, I sure like the look of those!! Kind of a pain in the butt to do, as the horns don't "boil" well, or make the head easy to do.....

Gonna have to put that on my "to do" list!

Default From 2008

Done by Clint's crew at Tundra Taxidermy (Anchorage/Wasilla). Good, timely service (2 months). Good finished product. Euro's sure beat a shoulder mount when pressed for space and $$$. Good luck.

DS

YES, that's what I'm talking about. Now if anyone wants to post a few pics of moose horn on a panel(plaque) to compare, that would be appreciated also. Keep em coming folks... Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Man, I sure like the look of those!! Kind of a pain in the butt to do, as the horns don't "boil" well, or make the head easy to do.....

Gonna have to put that on my "to do" list!

What...a comment about something besides your ox..this will definitly throw your 15/16 negative comment ratio way off ! Coudnt resist pokin fun of others!

Yes it was a pain in the butt but well worth it. Boiling and cleaning the skull was really hard. I tried many different techniques. You can tell it aint no professional job but I saved lots of money doing it and it makes it that much better to look at.
    "One Last Cast"

Question hey fk 107

fk 107, how in the world did you manage to boil that moose skull? it looks great in the photo you posted!

reason i ask is i found a dandy 63" winterkill last spring. i have boiled many an antelope, deer, and elk skull, but the way moose antlers grow out of the skull they make it impossible to submerge the skull in the water w/o submerging the antlers...got any tips for a failure like me?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    fk 107, how in the world did you manage to boil that moose skull? it looks great in the photo you posted!

reason i ask is i found a dandy 63" winterkill last spring. i have boiled many an antelope, deer, and elk skull, but the way moose antlers grow out of the skull they make it impossible to submerge the skull in the water w/o submerging the antlers...got any tips for a failure like me?!?!

It was not easy...I took a 55 gallon drum and cut the top 2/3's off and made side notches in the remaining to fit the antlers in. I will get you a pic next week once my pan becomes uncovered. IT worked well for boiling. Still had lots of picking and scraping to make sure it was clean. That is the biggest thing...It would be stinky if you had anything left in there.
    "One Last Cast"

Here is a set I mounted on a nice piece of wood.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

here some i just finished

Quote Originally Posted by harterstaxidermy View Post
    here some i just finished
    Those look real nice richard!! Cant wait to see my bison that you are doing...yes I still have a ways to wait
    "One Last Cast"

Default Go Fake

I know you can buy an imitation version of bou euro mounts. I assume you can buy them for moose also. The only ones I have seen are the true Euro mounts with-out the top teeth.

Skip the boiling process. Just attach your antlers to an imitation skull. But then again the smell of boiling skulls is awesome, who would want to miss out on that?

I've got a friend that has a 65"er done European style and it is one of the most impressive mounts I have ever seen. Every time I go to his house I can't help but stare at it. Should I bag a 60"+ bull I will be doing the European style mount.

Default I saw the other day

a European mount that the plaque that it was on was cut in the shape of a moose's head! I thought that it was pretty neat! My wife has one done that way and it looks good. I wish I would have kept my daughters 60" bull with the skull on, but conditions were so bad that there was no way I could get the head and horns out together. It was tough enough getting a quarter out at a time!

Those fake skulls are small and dont look good, also their low profile could be a problem getting antlers to clear the wall. All of my bigger bulls are euro style, I had the taxi do the first few and then I started doing them myself wood to wall, very easy process. Here is my bull from last Sept. This one went to the bug guy and I did the rest.

Default steam

The best way I have found to do the euro is to steam them in a plastic bag with the bag taped tight around the antler close to the skull. If you do it fresh they turn out very nice and not much bleaching needed, but I tried it on an older rack that I had boiled in a barrel ( With out success) and the skull never did wighten up. Were I work I have an unlimited supply of steam. Working on something for the house for this and steaming wood. I want to know were you boys are shootin them big moose with the browtines to the nines at.

All good stuff here folks.. As I am looking into this I'm starting to realize this could be a costly proposition. I would need to send the antlers from Anchorage to Wisconsin( of couse I have to be successful on the hunt first). Since you cant split the horns for a Euro mount, sending unsplit moose antlers is crazy expensive even on air cargo. I'm getting numbers like 600 - 700 just for shipping. That could be a deal breaker. I will make a few more phone calls and see if those numbers are accurate. If anyone has suggestions on economical shipping, I'm all ears.. Thanks, Ken

Ken,
    I was also looking into ways of shipping antlers home(Pa). I was told at the airport to get a box for shipping bicycles and you can fit your unsplit antlers in that and take it as excess baggage on the airline. Might want to double check that but by what I looked into that is the cheapest. I don't remember the exact cost but I am thinking it was somewhere around $100.

I always think a european looks much better mounted on a darker board, like Double Shovel and Whitepalm posted pics of. Nice moose, boys!!