Thread: Rock fish close to Seward Harbor

Default Rock fish close to Seward Harbor

My son and I were thinking about heading down to Seward this weekend to run the boat up for a couple hours and thought we might bring a little gear and bait to see if we can't find a few rock fish or something to bend the rod. We are going to stay pretty close to the harbor as this will be the first time the boat has been out in a couple years and we want to be sure everything is "ship shape" before heading further out. Is there much in close this time of year? This will be the earliest I've been out there.

Default Not much

for rock fish near harbor. We usually hit the back side of Fox Island or across to Agnes cove before we see anything of size. That said, If I had to fish close, I'd try just South of the coal conveyor as that is where the harbor dumps the fish gut pile. This early in the year though, they may not be anything to dump.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I often seem small boats fishing behind the Sea Life Center. Is there a "dump" pipe from the center in that area where fish might congrigate or is it just protected from the wind a little back there that attacts people?

Default The problem

is there isn't any structure around the harbor that provide the fish sanctuary. Steep rock & boulder structures are you best bet for rockfish.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

On the harbor side point of Thumb Cove will get you some fish. The Rockfish are on the smaller side but they are plentiful if you can get a good drift close to shore. Beware of the point itself as it has no exposed rocks at high tide but there is a big boulder just offshore. Use heavy leader `cause Lings run through there as well...as a matter of fact I hooked a salmon shark there in May last year...it took whatever I was cranking up. Sometimes it`s fun to get spooled.

Default no dump pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    I often seem small boats fishing behind the Sea Life Center. Is there a "dump" pipe from the center in that area where fish might congrigate or is it just protected from the wind a little back there that attacts people?

There is no dump pipe coming out of the Sealife Center. The only thing they put back into the bay is treated saltwater from their exhibits (ozonation treatment). Food waste is ground up in industrial garbage disposals and sent to the city sewer. All other waste is put in the dumpster. People are probably just fishing silvers back there.

I catch fish consistantly in July behind the sea life center and waterfall from shore, nothing that big of size but 3-4 of them make a nice dinner for a few people. Typical catch was copper rockfish, greenling, and sculpin. Saw a guy hook a big fish in front of the waterfall, we figured it was a medium sized halibut that ran out straight until the line broke.

Try scouting from shore, not sure about this time of year though.