Thread: Chaga Tea

Default Chaga Tea

So I recently learned that you can make tea from true tinder fungus also known as Chaga. It actually tastes pretty darn good. As anyone tried this recipe or has any others.

1. Shred the inner part of the Chaga mushroom.
    2. Soften in cold water for four hours.
    3. Filter with a coffee filter and save the liquid and the softened Chaga separately.
    4. Pour water heated to a temperature of about 50C (122F) over the softened chaga in a ratio of 5-parts water to 1-part fungus.
    5. Let stand at room temperature for 48-hours.
    6. Filter the new mixture and add this water to that prepared in step 3.
    7. Use this batch within four days, drinking 3-glasses at eight hour intervals each day. After four days make a new batch of chaga tea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lol, I guess no ones a big fan

excellent. I found a bunch of chaga, and I suppose will try this recipe. No chance of nuking it in the microwave eh?

now that is something different, from the pic looks like these chaga mushrooms grow on the side of a tree, what kinda tree is it?

Default Cool

Now I just have to find them I have seen them before but never really thought about what they were. I am anxious to try this. sounds like it is really good for you after a google search! Thanks

now that is something different, from the pic looks like these chaga mushrooms grow on the side of a tree, what kinda tree is it?
    You'll find it on Birch trees. Looks kind of like a nasty scar rather than a mushroom or fungus. It also is great fire tender in your emergency kit. Works extremely well in a fire piston.

Yep,

I have a few fire pistons and this is one of the more popular choices for tinder. Works well if the fire piston is a good design. Never heard of it being used in tea. Learn something new every day
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Chaga coffee

Was watching Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel yesterday and the show featured foods from the Appalachia mtn region, the mtn folk from North Carolina made coffee from ground up Chaga mushrooms, pretty cool. Wikipedia also has some good information on the mushroom's medicinal uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaga_mushroom

Default White lightning....

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post

the mtn folk from North Carolina made coffee from ground up Chaga mushrooms

They also have some nifty recipes for turning corn mash into shine.

They then take other flavors/fruits to it. Apple, peach, plum, etc... Smart folks indeed.

Peach is my favorite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonshine
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default chicory and sugarcane

danattherock,
    Just remembered another coffee substitute from North Carolina. Ever hear about "Chicory"? well my Granny, she is in her 90s now, God bless her, she lives in Carolina. She used to send me a bag of ground chicory occasionally to use as coffee, wasn't too bad. My dad said she enjoyed drinking it occassionally, reminded her of earlier times. My ancestors back in the day used to grow sugarcane on the family's old homestead in North Carolina, harvest time they would get all the relatives together to harvest the cane and run it through a cane press, juices were used to make molasses. My dad has a cousin there that I met a few years back, he still grows sugarcane, he also has a blacksmith shop. He told me after I complimented him on his homemade tools and equipment "why spend money to buy tools and equipment when you can make and build them yourself", I thought that was the coolest thing I ever heard, reminded me of a few oldtimers I met up here in Alaska over the years. Wonder what else they made out of the sugarcane juice.

"why spend money to buy tools and equipment when you can make and build them yourself", I thought that was the coolest thing I ever heard
    Yeah, that is pretty cool. Lots of folks in rural NC have this way of thinking. Something refreshingly simple about it. Never had any chicory, but have sure heard of it. I can imagine that is an old timer thing for sure. My generation was more focussed on weed and shine. Neat to hear of your folks in NC. Been to SW Alaska only once so far when we did a float on the Goodnews. I bet not many folks in SW Alaska have family in NC (or vice versa). Thanks for sharing man. And if you ever get a hankering for some chicory, let me know. I can get you anything you want from NC. Of course some are not legal to mail though

Default Phellinus igniarius also known as "punk"

True, not many from rural AK have family from NC, but suprisingly over the years I have run into a lot of Carolinians. They sure love to float and fish our rivers out here. All good people. Goodnews is a real good fishing river, two rivers north of that river is my favorite trout/salmon river. Talking about homemade concoctions, ever hear about "blackbull" or as the native people call it "iqmik", well out here rural people take cured tobacco usually in twist form, probably some even grown in the Carolinas and grind it up in a electric coffee bean grinder, then they add punk ash to it with a lil water to bind it all together, then they mix it up real good, then have it aeriate for a bit before packing it into their tobacco cans. This chew has a real kick to it. The punk ash is made from a hard mushroom called; phellinus igniarius, everyone here calls it punk. This fungus also grows on the side of birch trees like the chaga mushroom. I included a weblink to an article that I found to be interesting reading on the mushroom and it's use by native people. Enjoy

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/nov2005.html

Default "Punk"

Neat read man. I had heard of "punk" in an article last year in "Alaska" magazine. First time I had ever heard of it. Pretty potent chew from what little I heard about it. Likely makes what I have in my lower lip seem like candy for small children

Default iqmik

Yep, this stuff will knock you off of your feet. First time chewers are advised to not be operating any type of motorized vehicle, especially boats. 1st timers who put a chew between their teeth and gum will in a minute or two start feeling a lil lightheaded, the longer you keep it in the stronger it gets and the more affect it has on you. After 5-10 minutes or so, you might stagger a lil bit if you are on your feet. 10-15 minutes later you start getting hot flashes and start sweating, then it really hits. All you feel like doing is laying down, but you can't because of the nausea feeling you are having, then the dry heaving starts and lasts for a while. Once all this passes you recover fairly quickly. , 2nd time around it is not so bad at all.

Default Potent stuff for sure....

Sounds like this stuff could put Copenhagen out of business in no time. I can hear police officers around the country, "Sir, have you had any alcohol or punk this evening"....

2nd time around it is not so bad
    The same could be said for slamming ones pecker in a door, but I will pass on that as well