Thread: Home-Made Hummus

Default Home-Made Hummus

No, this doesn't inherently involve any truly Alaskan ingredients, unless you happen to grow your own garlic. But it's a healthy and tasty addition to a travel cooler for a quick healthy snack item... and I found the information at the link fairly impressive, considerig that garbanzo beans are just another dried legume... Or so I'd previously thought...

------------------------------------

A friend who'd had a heart-attack a number of years ago attended arelated dietary health course in Canada's Yukon Territory as a result of his medical experience. There he learned how to prolong his life without medication, should he generally adhere to some cautions in his eating habits. (One of the features of quasi-socialized medicine in Canada is that, for some maladies, they seem to believe that it's economically responsible to teach self-care in such a way as to reduce the risks of future recurrence. Makes sense to me.).

This friend has customarily brought home-made hummus (and tasty stuff it is) to our annual ice fishing get-togethers. At this year's fishing fest, my oldest son put the proverbial hurt on this fellow's hummus, and I further developed my own tastes for it as well. As a result, I inquired as to the recipe, and his family was kind enough to send it via e-mail, following our return home. He'd already told me that he often adds extra garlic cloves, so bear that in mind.

Historically I've liked hummus in various presentations, as well as garbanzos in a salad. But followig this morning's reading, that interest is peaked even moreso.

Anyway, as I was going through researching various methods of preparation for the dried garbanzo beans that I procured yesterday, I found this site on the internet. In it is some eye-widening information re. the health features of garbanzo beans, including lowering bad cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, and, in a lengthy study of dietary habits around the world, apparently lowering risk ofheart attack by as much as 82!!!

Holy legumes, Batman!!

Here's one of the more impressive and informative sites I found this morning;

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=58

---------------------------------------

My friend's recipe for hummus is;

2 cups cooked garbanzo beans

1/3-cup lemon or lime juice

1/4-cup sesame butter (tahini butter) (Caution! Spendy stuff!)

2 cloves garlic (He uses as many as 8)

1/4-cup water or broth from the cooking of the garbanzos (or broth from the can, if using pre-cooked, canned garbanzos...)

1 tsp. salt

1/2-tsp onion powder (they also sometimes add a bit of cumin, freshparsley, or even a bit of fresh chopped mint)

Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.

**Add a little bit of extra broth or water to the hummus if the mixture appears to be too thick for your desire/use.

It should render about 2 cups of tasty, healthy hummus, which can be used as a dip or spread.

They tell me that they've gone through several blenders using that method, due to the consistency of the mix being tough on such machinery. They've had the greatest amount of success in the longevity of their machinery by using a particular smaller food-processor with razor-like wings in it (probably similar to the one that I have to fit atop my Osterizer blender).

I also intend to try one of those similarly-configured 'kitchen wands' this time around.

------------------------------

ruffle

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

thanks ruff.. for the info. i guess i would try hummas.. i have never cared for garbonzos.. but eat a ton of brown and white beans..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thanks for the comment, Vince. Garbanzos get eaten cold and plain here, as though they were some sort of chocolate, or something. They have a natural butter-like flavor and consistency, and we've eaten them in all sorts of salads; taco salad, chef or green salad, and 4 or 5-bean salad. But I understand not everyone liking every member of the legume family.

I was, however, astounded at the health bennies that were found.

Another friend in lower B.C. wrote back, and commented that she commonly adds dried chipotle peppers to her hummus, that her kids eat every bit they can get a hold of, since they were kids, and even now when they return home to visit as adults, and that the cumin is, in her opinion, a necessary item.

Others have commented that the extra garlic is or should be a -requirement-.

ruffle

My hummus recipe:

2 cans drained and rinsed garbanzos
    1/3 cup tahini
    3-4 garlic cloves
    1/3 - 1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup olive oil
    kosher salt, cumin to taste

I pretty much throw everything in the blender or food processor and process until smooth adding more liquid (oil, water or lemon juice) as needed to get the consistency right.

To serve I spread the hummus on a shallow, oval serving tray and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with cumin and finely chopped flat parsley.

Serve with warm pita wedges.

As a variation I will throw a roasted red pepper or two into the blender or food processor. Cut back on the liquid if you go that route.

Enjoy!

Hey Chisana,

I made three batches yesterday that I'm still eating with my family.

I used a 50:50 blend of lemon and lime at about 1/3 cup, and 1/4 cup (plus a couple of extra TBSP) of the garbanzo bean broth that was left over from cooking the dried variety; they were much cheaper, and I think have less 'other flavor' from being canned.

I found the stuff to be a dynamite dip for corn chips; especially with the extra garlic and the hot peppers in it.

Sounds good. I'll have to try the dried garbanzos sometime. Once I get started eating hummus I have a hard time stopping!

Time to get started on a batch of deer steak braised in Alaskan Stout for dinner tonight!

Two of the finest wild meats ever tasted; dall sheep (#1), and venison steak (#2).

The problem with Sitka black tail deer is that they don't make them the size of a nice moose. The sheep suffer from the same deficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    The problem with Sitka black tail deer is that they don't make them the size of a nice moose. The sheep suffer from the same deficiency.
    Couldn't agree more with that statement! lol.......

I love Hummus! Thanks for the recipe!

You're welcome, AKDSLDOG.

Lemme' know how it turns out for you.

I personally think that the corn chips or crackers application is pretty good.

ruffle

Tried your new recipe tonight and it was the best I have ever eaten. Thanks for the recipe post. Everyone loved it.

Glad to hear it, and thanks for the reply!

Frequently when my family and I find something that tastes good, it's not necessarily extremely healthy. In the case of hummus, we were able to make something that's both healthy AND tasty!!

Happy eating!!

ruffle

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    You're welcome, AKDSLDOG.

Lemme' know how it turns out for you.

I personally think that the corn chips or crackers application is pretty good.

ruffle
    Made it last night, ummmm, WOW! Frikken great recipe, thanks again!

I love hummus too and look forward to trying your recipe. I usually roast red peppers on my stove top, peel and puree with the beans. It gives it a nice roasted flavor without having to add too much olive oil. I just need to find some sort of bread that's healthy to dip. Pita might be the best, but the chips filled with saturated fat are good too! Kinda defeats the healthy aspect of the original idea though.

Glad that you liked it, AKDSLDOG!
    -------

Wyatt, We didn't use any olive oil that UI can recall, though I know that some do. We used a combination of the broth from cooking the garbanzos, and the lime/lemon juice.

There's a couple of bakeries in Anchorage that make a stout variety of sourdough bread in a round, flat-pan-baked loaf. If you toast up relatively thin slices of that, and cut it into strips or small squares, then I think that you may find the bread that you're looking for, for dipping into the hummus. Simple, flavorful, and somewhat amazing.

I think that I mentioned earlier that a friend in British Columbia uses chipotle peppers in her hummus for a controlled 'zip' or burn, along with a mild smoked flavor.

When I roast peppers, either dried or fresh, I lay them out on a cookie sheet in a single layer, with a little bit of space between them (though you can fit quite a few of them on an 11" x 17" sheet), and roast them at ~350 degrees F. until I get a pungent mildly-eye-watering semi-sweet smell, making certain not to burn them at all.

I've used some smaller dried red peppers that came in a garland from New Mexico in this recipe, as well as some of the left-over dried cayenne peppers from the garden here from a couple of years ago. The latter are HOT, and the New Mexico garland peppers are pretty frisky too!!

The cumin, garlic, and citrus juice(s) are the key though, if you ask me. The pepper's zip, and the dull yet pungent addition of the broth is nice as well. It all comes together for a good snack or appetizer. Heck, a time or two we've gorged ourselves sufficiently to call it a dinner, even.

ruffle