Thread: Valdez May Day Fly-In

Default Valdez May Day Fly-In

Just curious if any of you guys are going to be headed down to the fly-in here in a couple of weeks. I think im gonna head down and have some fun competing with the pacer. Anyone else here compete on a yearly basis? Anyone just go for the fun of it? Hope to see some of you there.

That's the intent. There's a few of us planning on chasing each other down there. Depending on the weather, will dictate the route.
    Which pacer are you and which field?

Default Bad timing?

I still think there would be more turnout if it wasn't smack in the middle of bear hunting. There are a bunch of good operators (not all) out guiding/hunting then. I end up in the same boat as do a bunch of folks I know of. Never been able to make it. I'm sure they aren't gonna change the date but does anyone else think that would increase turnout and competition or am I all wet?

Default My thoughts

Well, first I plan on going, normally there are a few people that flyout friday after work out of birchwood. Second I cant see them moving it cause of all the vendors that come for it and the Alaskan Airmen Show in Anchorage the week prior from the lower 48. Also, they have it while its still cool outside to help the performance level and get the outstanding distances. And yes, I agree some of the best working pilots and or guides cant make it due to work.

Terry

Thumbs up Valdez

I plan on going. I went last year and wathced the flour bombing and STOL competition. I'll be the bald guy in the red white and blue 182.

Jeff

Smile Valdez

I am hoping to be able to make it again this year. Won the flour bombing last year so I told my wife I need to defend my title.

Yellowmaule...I fly a maroon and ivory pacer with a small ak flag on the tail. Its out in wasilla on a private strip in the pittman area.

Im sorry to hear about all the guys that can't make it.....on the other hand, im not sure the competition needs to be any stiffer! Just kidding. There certainly is some real talent out there, and valdez is certainly a great place for a common guy like me to get to see it.

Hold on to that title tight AKHUNTER...theres gonna be some stiff competition this year in the bombing competition. Yours truly included.

Anyway, everyone who's headed down have a safe flight. Come say hi if you see the pacer with the little bule AK flag on the tail.

Josh

I'm thinking of going over on Friday night/afternoonish from ANC. If the wind isn't howling I guess out the turnagain looks good. Any thoughts from anybody on routeing? Tom

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I'm thinking of going over on Friday night/afternoonish from ANC. If the wind isn't howling I guess out the turnagain looks good. Any thoughts from anybody on routeing? Tom
    Portage pass straight to potato point. Both have weather cams,as does Valdez. Missed last year[expired medical] but good this year. Last time I went was 07. Lousy weather, but the carbon cub was fantastic as was a EX Maul in primer. Can't wait.

Default got a question

3 knot wind, about 40 degees what is the take off peformance of a 15o horsepower cub.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by AkPacer View Post
    Yellowmaule...I fly a maroon and ivory pacer with a small ak flag on the tail. Its out in wasilla on a private strip in the pittman area.

Im sorry to hear about all the guys that can't make it.....on the other hand, im not sure the competition needs to be any stiffer! Just kidding. There certainly is some real talent out there, and valdez is certainly a great place for a common guy like me to get to see it.

Hold on to that title tight AKHUNTER...theres gonna be some stiff competition this year in the bombing competition. Yours truly included.

Anyway, everyone who's headed down have a safe flight. Come say hi if you see the pacer with the little bule AK flag on the tail.

Josh

LOL, I have in flight pic's of this plane from 2 years ago at the fly-in. Is this "Jessie's" brother? or did you just buy the plane in the last couple years? I know he (can't remember the name) was talking about selling it.

Curt