Thread: Shrimp in Seward

Default Shrimp in Seward

Anybody with an opinion of shrimping in Seward?

Is it legal?

lol

Haven't checked this years regs, but last year you had to go out to Aialik or further for personal use shrimping.

Default Aialik Cape is right...

I hadn't heard if it was worth shrimping it for the weekend or just skip it and wait for PWS to open up...

There were a couple threads about it last year. Mostly people didn't want to go that far just to try it. I never really heard of anyone doing great, although there were a few who prospected.

It is still limited to personal use (you have to get a permit) and from Aialik Cape west to some other point I've already forgotten. I honestly suspect that if you spend the time to find them, shrimping would be great out there. But it's a long trip in a pretty harsh area with high gas prices to boot....

If I had the time and money, I'd try it.

Default No great reports - But ?

I talked briefly with the biologist last year and they said the surveys they did indicated a substanual amount of shrimp available for harvest.
    However - I know a couple people that tried some prospecting and never really got into them. Given the fact that it was closed for several years - and that I have seen halibut come up stuffed with shrimp = there has to be some pretty good catches available - its just a matter of taking the time to find them.
    Funny thing is the same area that we caught halibut stuffed with shrimp - we set some pots and never caught any shrimp ????
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Thanks guys...

I have the time and petrol...just have to secure the permit. I'll post if I can find the little buggers! I was going to run up Aialik Bay and drop in the deep off the glaciers...

Default Aialik

I shrimped there two years ago. After quite a few bad pulls we finally found a spot that paid off well <top secret>. The funny thing was - the good spot was only 1/4 mile from another spot that produced 3 shrimp - the area just 'felt right' so we tried a second time and hit pay dirt. We never did well close to the glaciers, but was told that's where to go.

Trooper Mark tells me that there are other great spots in Aialik, but wouldn't give any hints.

Default Seward Shrimp - Paid off well?

Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    I shrimped there two years ago. After quite a few bad pulls we finally found a spot that paid off well <top secret>. The funny thing was - the good spot was only 1/4 mile from another spot that produced 3 shrimp - the area just 'felt right' so we tried a second time and hit pay dirt. We never did well close to the glaciers, but was told that's where to go.

Trooper Mark tells me that there are other great spots in Aialik, but wouldn't give any hints.
    What is your definitation of "Paid Off Well"
    Some people would say that if they got 30 shrimp per pot - the next guy might have to have 80-100 per pot for a good day? Just curious?
    I have also been told to go VERY deep close to the glaciers? I never tried it - but know people that have and came up blank?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Seward Shrimp Boundries

From the AF&G website.

North Gulf Coast is closed to all crabbing year-round, due to low population levels. A section of the North Gulf Coast, from Aialik Cape to Gore Point, is open to shrimping from April 15 through September 15. A free permit is required, and this shrimp fishery is open only to Alaska residents. Please see the Southcentral Alaska shellfish regulations for more information.

We were getting 3 to 5 gallons per pull - 5 pots. We pulled them 2 or 3 times per day, but noticed that the overnight soaks did the best. I consider that a pretty good day.

Other places we were getting 2 to 10 shrimp per pull - sometimes none. Location matters. Places that didn't work for us were at the head of the small bays/coves, in the same coves, in the silt plumes coming from both glaciers, and off the terminal moraines. We usually dump the pots to about 7 fathoms.

We didn't want to dump the pots too close to the glaciers since it was a slow crawl up Holgate what with all the ice and I was afraid that the line would get snagged on an ice burg and get 'stolen'.

Again, we only found one spot that worked for us and it wasn't very far up Aialik.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MischiefManaged View Post
    We were getting 3 to 5 gallons per pull - 5 pots. We pulled them 2 or 3 times per day, but noticed that the overnight soaks did the best. I consider that a pretty good day.

Other places we were getting 2 to 10 shrimp per pull - sometimes none. Location matters. Places that didn't work for us were at the head of the small bays/coves, in the same coves, in the silt plumes coming from both glaciers, and off the terminal moraines. We usually dump the pots to about 7 fathoms.

We didn't want to dump the pots too close to the glaciers since it was a slow crawl up Holgate what with all the ice and I was afraid that the line would get snagged on an ice burg and get 'stolen'.

Again, we only found one spot that worked for us and it wasn't very far up Aialik.

Good luck.
    7 fathoms ????

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    7 fathoms ????
    Must have left off a zero.,, We may be headed down that way this weekend if Whittier doesnít open up the road, and its not looking good. Will take a hard look at the chart and see if itís going to be feasible making to the shrimp grounds, perhaps some butt fishing instead.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

You won't be going to Seward either, no one in or out of Seward over the weekend due to bridge closure.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Must have left off a zero.,, We may be headed down that way this weekend if Whittier doesn’t open up the road, and its not looking good. Will take a hard look at the chart and see if it’s going to be feasible making to the shrimp grounds, perhaps some butt fishing instead.
    Even with the zero on it its still to shoal for me Steeper & Deeper gets'em (unless you in valdez) they've got those shoal water shrimp in that part of the world. Valdez might be the only place to go this weekend with all the closed roads.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Deeper than 420'? How deep does the average shrimper place pots?

Default only once - but

I put in at 650 foot - seemed to work good. That was whittier.

I have 900' of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenai In July View Post
    Deeper than 420'? How deep does the average shrimper place pots?
    Steep & Deep 5 to 7 , add two zero's

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692