Thread: Fishing with sons

Default Fishing with sons

we will be on a cruise in August visiting Ketchikan, Juneau and Scagway, could you please tell me if it is possible to fish from shore, renting the equipment, or is it absolutely necessary to hire a boat? If we do need to hire a boat, can you please recommend someone who would actually let the boys fish themselves rather than watch? Thank you

Default Ketchikan fishing

There is a perfect spot in town for kids fishing. It's at the red bridge above Ketchikan Creek about 3 blocks away from the cruise ship dock. It will be thick with pink salmon and chum salmon. All you need is a spinning reel/rod set up. If you bring your own gear, 12 lb. mono(or 30 lb. braid) is all you need, with a variety of marabou jigs in size 3/8 oz. in colors pink, purple, red, green and white. You stand on the bridge and jig right above the salmon until one hits it. It will be so thick with salmon, it will be difficult NOT to snag them (which is illegal). Single hooks only. I take my kids (ages 5, 6, and 14) at high tide and have fun catching and releasing fish for a few hours. Some people keep them, so if you catch one, you can give it to someone that wants it. Polarized sunglasses is a must to see the salmon properly in the water (and eye protection for when a jig unhooks and flies towards you; mono is more a problem with this than braid, so it's better to bring braid). If you don't want to bring gear, there is a store across the street that rents poles. Kids under 16 don't need a license. Some people don't like this kind of fishing, but for kids that don't want to be in a boat watching other people troll and get bored, this is a great activity. There will be plenty of other anglers so you can't miss the location. What's funny about this type of fishing is that it's amazing to see how fish react to lures and how they bite them. It's almost fun to pull a lure away from a salmon and see them get irritated and attack your lure with a vengence!

Have fun and you might see me there with my 3 kids!

thank you so much for your informative reply, I have been overwhelmed with excursions for our trip, we are taking my dad who turned 70 and I know the boys would love to fish and I am not that keen on going out on a charter boat. The kids like to be hands on and are old enough to be able to do it. I really appreciate your input. We will be coming in August and the boys want to Zipline in Ketchikan too so I am assuming fishing is better in a.m.? Thanks again for your input.

Default High tides

The best time to fish at the bridge is an hour before high tide until an hour after high tide. I don't know the dates you will be here, so look up tides tables for Ketchikan online, and plan accordingly. You can fish other times during the tide phases, but it's easier to see and land fish at high tide. Good luck planning.

Thanks, do you know the name of the rental shop for poles? We are traveling from outside Los Angeles and think it'll be alot easier to rent equipment. I am thinking we might skip the zipline in Ketchikan and maybe do some fishing. Have you done the zipline with your kids? We are more off the beaten path types, (I know why then are we on a cruise with a mega amount of people) we are doing this to hang out with my dad. I know the boys would enjoy kicking back fishing. Anyway maybe I should check out the shop and is it necessary to reserve poles, etc.? it obviously would be disappointing to plan on it and then not have necessary gear. I believe we will be there August 12th and will only have a short time 6:30am to 2:00 pm. Not alot of time, and not into rushing around! Thank you, I am just starting to research what we will do at ports, wanting to keep husband and boys happy!

The DIPAC fish hatchery in Juneau would be good place to hit too. There is a little food stand there that rents equipment. There's a zipline in town as well that goes through the old Treadwell mine ruins.
    Nice Marmot.

Default pole rental

I think the name of the store is Mikes Rental. They rent fishing poles and bicycles. It is literally next to the bridge. You don't need a reservation to rent. I think it costs about 10 bucks for two hours and they have plenty. If you are here August 12, high tide is around 6:00am, so as soon as you disembark, you can start fishing.

I have not done the zipline, but have heard it is great.

thank you very much

+1 for DIPAC also twin lakes across the street has landlocked salmon, and salmon creek gets pinks and chums if you are into stream fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default shore fishing

what about shore fishing while in port in Skagway mid August with kids, anything out there?

Quote Originally Posted by dads70 View Post
    what about shore fishing while in port in Skagway mid August with kids, anything out there?
    There should be some pinks in the salt out behind the ferry terminal, and in Pullen creek (which is right in town), but I'm not too sure about the run timing there though. No idea about renting gear, but the hardware store sells it.
    Nice Marmot.

I think there is a hatchery run of kings in a couple of the streams up there, you might check with ADF&G at any rate if my brain hasn't completely blown out with finals and all I imagine you should be able to find a few, they won't be too fresh but I bet the kid would enjoy catching one. Also there are dollies in the streams that'll take egg paterns and pinks and chum up there too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.