Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New plastic Ruger revolver.

Default New plastic Ruger revolver.

So this new thing with Ruger is promoting this new plastic Revolver. A plastic revolver is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper to build (and cheaper materials) than a steel or aluminum revolver. The question is........Do you think Ruger is passing this savings off to the customer. If not......guess who's making a big profit off this sales gimmick? I don't buy it, I feel sorry for the easily persuaded if they haven't considered this before they buy that pistol.

Default Guess Ruger found a sneaky way to make some money.

Just checked the website.........792 DOLLARS (msrp)!

What an ignorant, crooked, stomach turning sales gimmick!

The stainless steel .38 retailed for $589, I can't believe this. Who is with me on this?

What's wrong with a "Made in USA" company trying to make a buck in a very small market. Polymer frame auto's are light and easy to carry so why not introduce a polymer revolver, at least they're being innovative.

Part of the cost in making anything is making enough to reduce the cost per piece. This little frame is only for that one revolver so the cost per piece will be relatively high. Other steel frame revolvers have interchangeable pieces and old technology that helps to keep the cost per piece down.

But the way, I checked a local web site and that little pistol is selling for $395 without the laser grip.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumer...b1.x=56&b1.y=7

Default how much ...

research, development, marketing, and tooling costs are associated with bringing new technology into market?

Probably a whole lot more than a steel six shooter....but - you tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    research, development, marketing, and tooling costs are associated with bringing new technology into market?

Probably a whole lot more than a steel six shooter....but - you tell me.
    That's exactly what I'm saying...

mainer in alaska the Ruger lcr that you are looking at is the one with the crimson trace grips. You do know that that greatly increases the price of any firearm. Does the stainless pistol you are comparing it to have one? I know that if you buy laser grips they run around 300. Now I did get on gunbroker and the lcr was running 500-600 dollars I do think that is a little too expensive for my tastes. I bought my smith and wesson ls for about that price. but to each their own right?

Strange thing about this link. It sometimes takes you to a local Mesa, AZ dealer for $395.00 and other times it goes to Davidsons for $525.00???

Default partial plastic revolver

The only advantage of Ruger's design is cost - the savings in weight and in the cost of materials is insignificant if there is even any.

Has anyone checked the patent nos. for the frame? I wonder if they are using S&W's patent for forging the lightweight frames. If so they would have to pay S&W for the right. As I pointed out in previous posts forgings are generally the way to go when weight is a primary consideration; investment castings just don't compare.

The S&W lightweight titanium cylinder revolvers are still the obvious way to go if cost is not a major concern. In guns I'll stake my life on metal over plastic anyday!

That being said let's all wish Ruger well with their lower cost lightweight revolver! We can all hope their new product will result in even more citizens exercising their rights to carry deadly force to protect their lives, family, and property.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What Plastic?

tvfinak:
    I think you're right.
    Ruger will sell lots.

I also hope it, "will result in even more citizens exercising their rights to carry deadly force to protect their lives, family, and property."

I HATE small, lightweight, snub-nose revolvers.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have never had to pay what Ruger suggests a weapons MSRP is it has always been less usually a good bit less.

Default OK Smitty, I'll bite,

why do you hate small, lightweight snubbies?

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    I have never had to pay what Ruger suggests a weapons MSRP is it has always been less usually a good bit less.
    Roger that!

I just bought a Ruger KM77VT MKII chambered in 22-250 from Sportsmans Warehouse for $621.95, Rugers MSRP is $935.00

I'M GETTING ONE!!!............
    as soon as I start carrying a knife with a plastic blade!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MagLvr View Post
    I'M GETTING ONE!!!............
    as soon as I start carrying a knife with a plastic blade!!!
    You would be surprised how many towel heads have been caught in airport security with plastic and or fiber glass blades...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    You would be surprised how many towel heads have been caught in airport security with plastic and or fiber glass blades...
    My wife has a ceramic knife with a rubber handle with no mettle at all, it would kill as good as a Kabar. And I have also seen 100% plastic knifes that were for the Navy, they had a very hard sharp serrated edge that sure was not picnic grade!! Glock has had 100% plastic guns that work as good at the standard guns for years now. Not all plastic is junk anymore, but I donít think any manufacturer wants to sell them to the public and have their name in the middle of the next 9-11.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Plastic guns with plastic springs and plastic bullets useing plastic explosives.I think Mel Gibson had one of those.I can see folks sneeking their potato guns into the airports now foiling the detection systems

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post

I'm sure Smitty has a logical reason for which he could better explain. I do believe however.....that Smitty plays in the big country/bush where a lightweight snubnose chambered for low power handgun catridges is of no use to him at all. My wife has a 38 snubby that she keeps in the bedroom and compliments our Akita Guard dog, but in the big country/bush........we'd have absoulutely no use for that pistol at all.

My 2-bits: The .38 SPL with +P rounds in it is an excellent personal protection gun. Revolvers are more reliable than autos. A 5-shot revolver is slimmer than any other. MOST personal protection experiences are over within 3 or 4 shots. 5 shots exceeds that. The plastic frame makes it light. I dunno... The new Ruger sounds like a good choice to me. I'd love to have one! (Unfortunately, the wife already said "Another gun? Did you buy it already?" ...along with the stink eye ...oh well.)

Brian

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    * They buck up in my hand more, so the recoil is unpleasant. (I had a SN 38 Special, and the 3" barrel 38 Spec. I have now is easier. My Trusty Wife didn't like it either, so I got her one with a 4" barrel. That one is a dream to shoot. No wonder, she likes it.)

* They don't point as well, for me, and therefore I can't shoot them accurately.

* The muzzle blast is greater, and really horrible, IMO.

* In cartridges I like, such as 357, and 44 Mag. the velocity loss is considerable.

* As, has been suggested, my handgun choices are geared to field use, and I like to practice with a minimum of unpleasantness. I load with JHPs for home defense, and Hard Cast in the swamps.

* A longer barrel is only a little harder for CC.

I know the trend is currently towards lighter guns, and shorter barrels, but there is IMO, a limit to what's practical. I can appreciate the varying opinions and the reasoning behind them.

I just my personal prefs. Thanks for indulging me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    * They buck up in my hand more, so the recoil is unpleasant. (I had a SN 38 Special, and the 3" barrel 38 Spec. I have now is easier. My Trusty Wife didn't like it either, so I got her one with a 4" barrel. That one is a dream to shoot. No wonder, she likes it.)

* They don't point as well, for me, and therefore I can't shoot them accurately.

* The muzzle blast is greater, and really horrible, IMO.

* In cartridges I like, such as 357, and 44 Mag. the velocity loss is considerable.

* As, has been suggested, my handgun choices are geared to field use, and I like to practice with a minimum of unpleasantness. I load with JHPs for home defense, and Hard Cast in the swamps.

* A longer barrel is only a little harder for CC.

I know the trend is currently towards lighter guns, and shorter barrels, but there is IMO, a limit to what's practical. I can appreciate the varying opinions and the reasoning behind them.

I just my personal prefs. Thanks for indulging me.

Smitty of the North
    I agree, for field use 4" is as short as I would ever consider. I do have a 2Ē 357 next to the bed and the wife packs a 2Ē LadySmith 357 that I canít shoot without more pain than I want. She loves it and even shoots hot 357s in it, not me . . . OUCH!!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast