Thread: Question about black bear meat

Default Question about black bear meat

If I go out into prince william sound this year and get one early in the spring, does it taste good? Is all the fishy taste gone? Is the meat still a bit fatty, or is it lean and tough?

Chris

Default Black Bear Meat

I took a nice boar last May, he was lean (no fat), no fish taste, but like all big game meats, how you prepare and season the meat will make all the differences in the world. I soaked the meat in a cooler with ice and baking soda for 24hrs, then marinated the meat in brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic cloves for 5hrs then half went to smoke the other half went to frying pan, everyone thought it was the wild pig I shot in Hawaii! Good luck!

Default baking soda?

what does the baking soda do for the meat? and do you just rinse it after?

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default baking soda

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is believed to have meat tenderizing capablities and it might also get rid of some of that coagulated blood in the meat. Some people believe it; others don't, it's personal preference.

ROB

Spring black bear is great eating. Not a lot of fat. I cook it like I would any other wild game. Never had any that was strong tasting. Makes great hamburger, steaks, roasts,stew meat.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

the thing to remember about bear meat is that the mussel is much tighter then moose or beef... think of it like the growth rings in a tree...

Moose, Beef, deer..... might have 10-12 rings per inch of meat...

a bear will have 50-100... so SLOW cook it. add bacon, for fat ... keep it moist and it is WONDERFUL!!!

i grind 3/4 of mine into sausage... makes great breakfast sausage. and burgers... even the most ardent people against trying it... have eatin it when at my home....I dont tell them till they are full of praise for dinner...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default The best...

I put a roast in a crock pot and left it all day with just a covering of water and no other flavorings at all. The dang thing came out 8 hours later...and I have never had a better tasting piece of meat. It fell apart at the touch of a fork. YUM! YUM!

Or have sausage made out of it...that worked well for me. Good breakfast sausage and use in egg rolls, other dishes where you would use smaller amouts of burger can be replaced with mild breakfast sausage also. Last Spring I took mine to Mikes Meats in Eagle River, quick, good price and good product.

My wife prepares bear roast the same way she does moose roast & folks that swore they would never like bear meat (had never tried it) raved about it. They thought they were eating moose!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Main thing to remember with bear meat...

...is that it must be cooked thoroughly, just like pork, because if it is eaten medium rare or rare you could get trichinosis. So any steaks and such have to be well done. We like bear steaks and we tenderize them first like chicken-fried steaks and do them well done. Bear burger is also very good, just cook it well done. The bear roasts that you simmer all day are great too.

Good luck on your hunt this spring, Chris. Let us know how you liked the bear meat if you're successful,

I hang my bear for about a week in a dry place to age before cutting up and freezing

All this talk of bear meat is making me hungry.
    I wish I knew were all these folks get their info about black bears not being any good to eat.????

Default not so true

Not so true with pork anymore Mark, They changed the feeding practices years ago. You don't have to have that pork chop cooked to a cracker anymore.

From the US CDC website

Is trichinellosis common in the United States?

Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.

Had a springer turned to sausage and it is yummy!! Had it as burger before, and was good. However, the steak I tried....well, it wasn't the best. Just tough, but that is to be expected.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Had a springer turned to sausage and it is yummy!! Had it as burger before, and was good. However, the steak I tried....well, it wasn't the best. Just tough, but that is to be expected.

Hmmmm not so sure about a guy who eats his dog.........................
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hmmmm not so sure about a guy who eats his dog.........................
    Don't knock it till you try it
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Default Black Bear Meat

Oh man it is some of the best meat I have ever had. Love it slow cooked or a nice burger.
    I like to mix a packet of ranch and a packet of lipton onion soup mix in with 2 lbs of meat.... make patties and put them on the grill. Yummy
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Default I'm not sure I'll get out this spring

but last year I was in a few spots in the sound and I ran into a bear in every creek. In fact, it seems I run into at least two bears every time I go out in the sound, I was surprised last year when I ran into at least seven in one small area. I'm not too sure what distance they cover in their seasonal life cycles, but population density was incredible. If I decide to go I'll post pics.

Chris

Default Baking Soda!

Quote Originally Posted by mudman1 View Post
    what does the baking soda do for the meat? and do you just rinse it after?
    I have used baking soda for years, I used the same process for all my big game meats, Caribou, Moose, Bear, and Wild Boar in short it tenderizes as well as draws excess blood from the meat, rinse with cold water and season to taste! I found this takes out the "Game Taste" from most of the meats and allows me to use the meat for other recipes, not just Hamburger and Sausage!