Thread: Magnum Primers

Default Magnum Primers

Just getting back to reloading after a couple decade sabbatical. I was loading my first .45 ACP and accidentally primed about 15 cartridges with magnum primers before I caught it. Is that a big problem for plinking. Additional info: Without checking my notes, I believe I was loading 5.6 grs. of Unique and the 230 gr. FMJ.

I'm also looking for a good powder for the .45 load. The Unique didn't flow through my powder measure as well as I hoped and the rounds I fired seemed dirtier than I expected. Any suggestions for other powders?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I use Titegroup in my 40S&W and 45ACP loads. It shoots well and clean. It also flows very very good in my powder measure.

I can't help you with the magnum primer question, never tried it in my light hand gun loads. I'm about out of small pistol primers so I may be experimenting soon.

I use AA#5 for .45ACP. It's a spherical powder that meters very consistently...not sure if it's any cleaner or dirtier than others.

Regarding your primer question, I'd pull the bullets. It may be safe (I don't know), but I'm a conservative handloader, and when I do push the limits of a load I do it planfully and progressively rather than by accident (and we all screw-up at times). Pull them...so what if you're out a handful of primers (even if they are scarce these days).

I mostly use W231 for my .45 ACP's. I don't think I've ever used mag. primers with Unq. Please use the ol' safety glasses if you deprime the live primers. I've done it a few times, never had one go off, but the hair on the back of the neck always stands up.

Default I say shoot them

Quote Originally Posted by danielslaker View Post
    Just getting back to reloading after a couple decade sabbatical. I was loading my first .45 ACP and accidentally primed about 15 cartridges with magnum primers before I caught it. Is that a big problem for plinking. Additional info: Without checking my notes, I believe I was loading 5.6 grs. of Unique and the 230 gr. FMJ.

I'm also looking for a good powder for the .45 load. The Unique didn't flow through my powder measure as well as I hoped and the rounds I fired seemed dirtier than I expected. Any suggestions for other powders?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    The loading manual closest to my computer desk (Richard Lee's MODERN RELOADING) has a load of 6.0 grains of Unique driving a 230 grain FMJ bullet at 895 FPS with 16,000 psi. The other loads for that bullet (different powders) have only one (Green Dot) less (15,800 psi) and the other 14 powders are said to produce about the same velocity (847 fps to 987 fps) with pressures of 16,200 psi to 20,000 psi.

I suggets you check Alliant's web site for their data on Unique.

Unique is not hard to ignite. The magnum primer is overkill, but in my opinion is not likely to produce much more pressure than the standard primers. If you have access to a chronograph it might be an interesting bit of data to gather. I doubt there will be much difference in velocity.

Lost Sheep

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Maybe especially this post.

Do your own research when ANYONE gives you new facts on the web.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd shoot'em too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Me too…. I would shoot them. As far as Unique goes, it is a rather “dirty” propellant in my experience, but I only use it for my 45 colt wheel guns so a bunch of sooty grime really has no effect on the performance of the arm. I like it because its CHEAP! And I only use 9.5 gr per cartridge. That my friend is a pile-o-shootin for pennies on the dollar! The scary thing with Unique in these kinds of light loads, is that you could easily double or triple charge a case and still seat the bullet….. Oh momma….. that would NOT be good! So I only work up those loads on a single stage press 50 at a time and visually inspect each case while they are in the loading block before I seat bullets.

Although it is completely unrelated, I do have another “good” Unique story that you may enjoy!
    An acquaintance sent me a photo once of a Marlin 1895G in 45/70 that had been completely blown to pieces….. barrel split like a banana peal, action blown open like a taco, scope bent in half, stocks shattered, but no serious shooter (or bystander) injuries (a true miracle) The “story” was that one of his teenage kids had started reloading for it, and had mistakenly substituted Unique for 3031…… how you could confuse the two is beyond me, but as the story goes, he charged up a %105 load density and compressed the unique down about an 1/8” with a 405 grain Remington soft point…. As Lightning McQueen would say…”Kaaachow!!”
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Magnum Primers

Wow, been too busy to check the forum for a couple days and I wasn't busy loading bullets either! Thankful to be working though.

Thanks for all the information and .... stories.... I'm new to forums, but have really appreciated the help. I'll still keep following up on this thread to see what other ideas may come.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Me too…. I would shoot them. As far as Unique goes, it is a rather “dirty” propellant in my experience, but I only use it for my 45 colt wheel guns so a bunch of sooty grime really has no effect on the performance of the arm. I like it because its CHEAP! And I only use 9.5 gr per cartridge. That my friend is a pile-o-shootin for pennies on the dollar! The scary thing with Unique in these kinds of light loads, is that you could easily double or triple charge a case and still seat the bullet….. Oh momma….. that would NOT be good! So I only work up those loads on a single stage press 50 at a time and visually inspect each case while they are in the loading block before I seat bullets
    Good Point There:
    I loaded some 44 Mag. with Unique tother day. I even used a pencil to check the powder level.

I've never tried Unique in a powder measure. I'm dubious as to how well it would work. Many long yars ago, I weighed charges for Unique, and now I like to DIP them.

Like you said, it goes a long ways, though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Smitty,

I throw my Unique thru a RCBS little dandy powder measure. dont remember the rotor # that equates to 9.5 grains though...

I wouldnt say it is super accurate.... perhaps + or - .2 grains, but for what I am doing, that is good enough... and its FAST
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio