Thread: good advice

Cool good advice

I am in the planning phase of my first Alaskan Moose hunt. I have trying to read as much as possible to be prepared. I am looking for any advise I can get about float hunting. My trip is planned for 2008. I am not sure what area I am going to hunt yet so any help there would be great. I am looking to do an unguided hunt do to the cost. I am willing to work for a great experience. Any advise on how to pick a good equipment rental outfit would be great. Thanks for the time.

Go buy Larry Bartlett's DVD on Float Hunting in Alaska, Vol. I" Its a great introduction to float hunting and I wish it had been available before I took my first float hunt.

http://www.pristineventures.com/products.html

Default Basically...

Get as far away from civilization as you can, & that means ponying up some dollars to do...SE AK may not be any good, nor would SC AK, nor is MaGrath area, you can also scratch out the Kuskwim area, as there's a 5 year moritorium on hunting there, & the Aluetians & Kodiak Island don't harbor too much moose last I heard...so with that you've got it pinned down to 3/4 of the state to hunt with...I would look to the NW AK for big moose, or the intieror above FBX's...You can always count on the Yukon for more moose, but that's my area so I don't want you clogging up my streams... :P ( just kidding)

Most of the area around gogoalie is federal land that is currently closed to everyone except fed qualified subsistence users who live in the area, which is unit 18. That will change this spring when the Federal Subsistence Board lifts that closure and the Yukon R. in Unit 18 will have the longest moose season in the state, no antler restriction, and one of the densest moose populations anywhere.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Thank you all for the advise. I really appreciate it. I just ordered a new book on float hunting Alaska. I am currently reading about all of the different units that are open to non residents and trying to pin point the area that I think will be the best. Thanks again and any additional advise will be greatly appreciated.

Default I'd be happy to help you

Michigan,

Drop me a private message and I'd be delighted to assist you if I can. I'm currently in Adak but will be home later this week. Let's get in touch!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Are you out there hunting caribou, Mike, or there on business? Just curious...

-Brian

Default A little of both

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    Are you out there hunting caribou, Mike, or there on business? Just curious...

-Brian
    Primarily business, but I may squeeze in a caribou hunt if I can... I'll post pics of Tracey's bull he shot last evening when I get back with him later. I brought him and his wife out here on passes and they're having a ball.

Weather today is pretty good, but the wind yesterday was HOWLING. Tracey was field dressing his animal with his back to the wind. He was working on the delicate area near the paunch, when a sudden gust literally blew him over onto the animal. His knife punched through the stomach and spewed contents all over. Woulda made a nice photo if I was there... I would have posted that one for sure, just because he's such an Okie!

I'll try to start a thread on this Adak thing when I get back. I had delusions of sort of filtering some of the bad boys who came out here last year, but the word is out and we've got several groups of hunters on foot, stalking the same herd... it's become like the haul road in some ways.

More later...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay