Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help field dressing bear...

Question Help field dressing bear...

I've been working on my homework of studying these creatures and I have high hopes of taking a black bear this spring. Here's the problem, I'm having difficulty finding video of how to dress one out, salvage the meat, and tend to the hide.

I realize I would be much better off watching this done, but I'm afraid I may not have that opportunity until the knife is in my hand.

Can anyone lead me to a good video, website, information regarding field dressing and caring for black bear?

Thanks!

Chris Batin sells a video on a brown bear that covers the hide part that you are looking for. As to the meat, it is no different than any other animal in my opinion, straps and legs. If you hang them up they do look a bit creepy but easy to deal. Key is the hide which is similar to a brown bear. http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=139

Thumbs up Thanks!

There was another "field taxidermy" video suggested on here a long time ago that was highly recommended. Anybody remember?

I'm not as much worried about taking care of the meat, I've butchered quite a few different animals from farm to field. I'm more concerned with skinning and turning, but I'll use all the help I can get in any part.

Thanks!

Default Taxidermist...

In addition to the options in the prior posts...visit your favorite taxidermist. Ask him to show you how to do feet and lips-noses-ears. Occasionally somome pops a bear on the road system and brings in a bear "in the round". Then you can see the entire process.

I do prefer to skin while they are warm. Takeing your time with the initial skinning will mean less fleshing later.

Dennis

First you need a Bear.
    Skin them right after posing for pix, while their warm.
    Leave as much fat on the meat as possible, so use a sharp knife and go slow but easily enough.
    Cut off the legs and backstrap, then gut.
    You can spilt the brisket right up the middle with any sharp knife.
    Think "Sweet Ribs" and take them home like a side of Pork, and treat as such, BBQ and all.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well here is a guide right off the site..

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/blbcare.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2061029_skin-bear.html and another...

google skin a bear... lots there..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you still need help let me know. I would be more then happy to give you a hand.

(907)488-7083
    alaskamountinman@hotmail.com
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    There was another "field taxidermy" video suggested on here a long time ago that was highly recommended. Anybody remember?
    There's one Larry Bartlett puts out called "Wilderness Taxidermy" With Rich Hamilton of Brow Tine Taxidermy. Has bear, caribou, & moose. The AOD store has it. http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...roducts_id=288
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Josh,

First off good luck this year, I hope you connect. I would recommend that you decide WHO you want to mount your trophy and HOW you want it mounted. This will dictate the best way to make your cuts. Also I have dealt with many taxidermist and they all have THE BEST WAY TO SKIN A BEAR. Most are willing to show you how they prefer to have them skinned, plus you can see their work. I would never drop off my hard earned trophy to someone I did not trust. Most hunters start looking for a taxidermist after the harvest. I feel you get a much better product if you are prepared for this step first.

If you find yourself with one down I would skin the bear and leave the paws and head in the hide and let the taxidermist do that part. As mentioned already try to find them before Rigor mortis sets in, They are hard to skin and almost impossible to move once they are setup. If you have to wait to skin it at least lay it out like this photo.

Seek out a relationship with a wildlife artist. Get best you can afford. You will be living with the outcome for many years.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Josh,

First off good luck this year, I hope you connect. I would recommend that you decide WHO you want to mount your trophy and HOW you want it mounted. This will dictate the best way to make your cuts. Also I have dealt with many taxidermist and they all have THE BEST WAY TO SKIN A BEAR. Most are willing to show you how they prefer to have them skinned, plus you can see their work. I would never drop off my hard earned trophy to someone I did not trust. Most hunters start looking for a taxidermist after the harvest. I feel you get a much better product if you are prepared for this step first.

If you find yourself with one down I would skin the bear and leave the paws and head in the hide and let the taxidermist do that part. As mentioned already try to find them before Rigor mortis sets in, They are hard to skin and almost impossible to move once they are setup. If you have to wait to skin it at least lay it out like this photo.

Seek out a relationship with a wildlife artist. Get best you can afford. You will be living with the outcome for many years.
    Agreed.... Any one can stop in my shop and i will show them what they need to do...

A quality mount starts with the field preperations and how well you take care of your trophy.

I've got the Larry Bartlett DVD (a set). I picked mine up at Wiggy's in ANC. I thought it was very good.

Thumbs up Thanks Guys!

Vince, how did you find those? Every time I searched I got ugly PETA women in bear (idiots don't know how to spell bare) skin Good stuff there.

Stid, thank you friend. It will be my first real go at a black bear...does the one that hunkered down in the bed of my truck last year count? And I can use all of the help I can get. I've done quite a lot of homework, but nothing is like the real deal. I am only looking to tan the hide and hang it on a hook on the wall is all, but still would like to do a nice job of it. I'm good with butchering, but I have little experience with disassembling with the guts in. We'll report back how that goes.

I might have to take a few of you taxidermists up on dropping by. Don't make it up north too often, but I'll try to work it in one of these days.

I'll do my hunting for the best taxidermist around on some of the other threads instead of clogging this one up with revisited information.

Thanks Again!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Josh,

If you find yourself with one down I would skin the bear and leave the paws and head in the hide and let the taxidermist do that part.
    Is that acceptable to MOST taxidermists?
    What about issues of time, and preservation when you leave the paws, and head undone?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Instructions

ADFG has a page about skinning bears as well:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...rhunt.skinning

As well as some basic information about brown & black bear hunting

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...nt.black_brown

Good luck!
    Fuse

Default acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Is that acceptable to MOST taxidermists?
    What about issues of time, and preservation when you leave the paws, and head undone?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    I think most taxis would rather do the feet & head themselves (and charge you for the extra work) than try to repair screw ups done by someone that doesn't know what they are doing.
    Gary

I have taken bears to 3 different taxidermist. They all have been more than willing to remove the feet and skull, of course they charge the going shop rate to do so. Well worth the price if you have never done it. The face of a bear, for me is the most important part and knowing how to turn the lips, ears and eyes will make or break your mount.

For those hunting from the road system, getting the hide to the taxidermist should not be an issue. Treat the hide as you would your meat, keep it cool and dry and try to get it to the taxidermist within 24 hrs.

The those on remote hunts, you may need to know how to DIY because the hair will start to slip quickly if not cared for properly.
    Getting it all skinned out and salted to stop the bacteria and to lock in the hair will make sure you end up with a nice trophy.

Happy Hunting

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I will give ya some pointers when I come down next weekend. Turning the ears is the hardest part for me (takes me forever) but the feet, head, splitting the nose,eys and lips are all very easy.

i am planning on a NEW approach to bear skinning this year....

I have a few that LOVE to eat Full gas & Oil jugs......

I do not see where i can not use a flaming arrow to hunt them...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardC View Post
    I've got the Larry Bartlett DVD (a set). I picked mine up at Wiggy's in ANC. I thought it was very good.
    I ordered a copy today. Loking forward to watching it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast