Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Alaskan Hunter

Talking New Alaskan Hunter

I am in the military and have lived in Alaska for a year and a half, so this year will be my first year hunting as a resident. I wanted to hunt spring bear, but I have no idea where to go. It seems like there are plenty of bears around our garbage cans on base, but you can't shoot those. I was hoping to go for brown bear because it is a once in a lifetime opportunity, but I wouldn't mind shooting a blackie (I heard that the meat is pretty darn good). I don't want to take anyone's "secret" spot or anything like that, but can someone point me in the right direction. At this point I was just going to pick a river in GMU 14 or GMU 16 and hike along it until I found a huntable spot. Thanks.

Default pm sent

PM sent. Check your box

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    PM sent. Check your box

theres trouble...... Johnny probably put you in someones back yard for the fun of it...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yeah, like my property in Unit 14. Bad, johnny, bad
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Lightbulb new hunter...solo anybody?

heffer21,

There has been several recent threads similar to this question of yours. If you review just the last two weeks you will find a bunch of information and advice.

one quick note....from Elmendorf air plane patch, rather than going north....I would advise going south.

...just my first thoughts...

Dennis

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    he proably sent that pm from some one elses computer too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think there are losts of places in 14 and 16 and 13 to hunt lots of game. do you bow hunt? If you need a hunting partner let me know

Default No Bow

I'm always looking for a hunting partner. With five kids it's hard to get the wife out with me. I haven't done any bow hunting in the past, besides messing around with my dad's compound bow when I was a kid.

Default No bear for you

Save your gas money on bear hunting and go see dr. for a vasectomy!

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    Hahahaha... i was gonna put him in your backyard within sight of your bedroom window, but I figured that if he saw something thru your window, he'd be so afraid, he'd never go hunting in Alaska again.... !

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    theres trouble...... Johnny probably put you in someones back yard for the fun of it...
    You know me all too well...

P.S. Can't wait to get on Curt's computer again...

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Hahahaha... i was gonna put him in your backyard within sight of your bedroom window, but I figured that if he saw something thru your window, he'd be so afraid, he'd never go hunting in Alaska again.... !

Bite me Johnny...... Yes, he would be scared, I will make sure your not over visting when he comes hunting.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Default How old?

Quote Originally Posted by Heffer21 View Post
    I'm always looking for a hunting partner. With five kids it's hard to get the wife out with me. I haven't done any bow hunting in the past, besides messing around with my dad's compound bow when I was a kid.
    How old are the kids? If you are looking for a hunting partner, it looks like you might have a few of them already on hand. I know in my case, I was going on hunting trips before I turned 1, but didn't actually take my first big animal until I was 11. It was a great learning experience for me to go along with the hunts when I was young. It was just a part of life for me and feels weird if I don't go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    How old are the kids? If you are looking for a hunting partner, it looks like you might have a few of them already on hand. I know in my case, I was going on hunting trips before I turned 1, but didn't actually take my first big animal until I was 11. It was a great learning experience for me to go along with the hunts when I was young. It was just a part of life for me and feels weird if I don't go hunting.
    with 5 kids in my house and 3 of hunting age... partners are not hard to come by.. but you know i sure have to carry a TON of gear...

meet on face book here

Default Assistance

Heffer21,
    Your initial thread question was a wee bit naive, perhaps. I do not see that we helped you very much. If your still looking for spring bear hunting information, shoot me a PM.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Heffer21,
    Your initial thread question was a wee bit naive, perhaps. I do not see that we helped you very much. If your still looking for spring bear hunting information, shoot me a PM.
    Dennis

or just go read the thread from easy rider.....

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    Save your gas money on bear hunting and go see dr. for a vasectomy!
    Already taken care of my friend! I have three boys and two girls. The oldest three are boys are ages 10, 8, and 6. I was debating on whether I should take my oldest. Although I was butchering chickens when I was 8 years old, I went hunting for the first time when I was 22. I was living in Montana at the time, and boy do they have nice mule deer out there. Needless to say, I was hooked.

If hiking along a creek looking for bears is what you want, I would go to Lower Troublesome Creek later in the spring and especially fall. You will find what you are looking for. In the fall, the best bet is along Byers Creek.

You can spot and stalk Black Bears along the Seward Hwy. Anywhere you can find a good pullout with view of the surrounding hillsides, is always a good bet. The steeper the better, that way you avoid more brush and less walking.

For hikes into places, I suggest the trail to Ptarmigan Lake or to Lost Lake. Both have two trails to them. I like the old original trail by the RR Tracks, to PL and the Primrose Trail to Lost Lake. Mostly Black Bears, but sometimes you can find a Brown, permit only I think.
    Good Luck, we really need the bears thinned out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Heffer21,
    Dennis
    I helped him much. I sent him a PM a couple of days ago...never replied. If you follow the info i gave you, you'll have a good chance at black bear.

Default 18 and 19

Post #18 is perfect advice for a bear north of Anch., post #19 seems sincere...our work is now done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast