Thread: Waterfowling near Fairbanks...

Default Waterfowling near Fairbanks...

I'm sure this is already a topic that has been discussed already, but frankly there are way to many interesting posts on hunting up here that I get distracted easily from what I'm trying to find.

I just moved up here from Alabaster, Al where I used to go after whitetail and turkey along with assorted small game animals. One thing I've never delved deep enough into was waterfowling. When I was younger used to go with uncles to shoot duck out in Mississippi.

Are there any places around Fairbanks where I could get re-introduced to the wonderful sport. Please keep it to the Fairbanks area or within 50 miles, college students like myself dont make much to support that kinda travel.

Thanks in advance.

Between the airport and the shooting range within the flood control areas along the Tanana.

Cramers Field behind the F&G offices on College Road.

Chena flood control project area near North Pole.

Anything beyond these areas and you are driving or getting into some bush whacking.

Hey thanks! Now you said between the firing range and the airport? You mean the one on south cushman right?

just want to be certain, new to the area and I dont want to end up in a mud hole or something.

Go out to moose creek and float to the Airport or chena pump stay in the small channels.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by asian_in_ak View Post
    Hey thanks! Now you said between the firing range and the airport? You mean the one on south cushman right?

just want to be certain, new to the area and I dont want to end up in a mud hole or something.
    That is the only range near the Tanana that is a ligit range. You will end up in a mud hole anyway once off the dikes. Rent a canoe from the campus rec department at the student center and get away from the dikes in any ponds that still hold water in the fall. Get on the river side and if you are really lucky you might get a goose once in a while.