Thread: I need help

Default I need help

Every year I have some buddies who come up from California to enjoy Alaska. I have only lived here a few years and, although I try to show them a good time, our fishing luck has sucked beyond words. For example we went out of deep creek last year and didn't get so much as a nibble for halibut. We were, I thought, fishing the right tides, we had the 'right' gear etc but got nothing. We have 5 or 6 guys fishing for a week and we might catch one or two fish. We have even gone the Kenai with an experienced guide and caught nothing but a dolly or two. They are coming back on June 27 for a week. I need to do better. Without getting anyones secret spots, does anyone have an idea what I can with these guys here on the Kenai? They might stop coming if I can't get these guys to catch a fish and I have learned that local knowledge is everything. Where to go and what to use makes the difference between nothing and something. Please help me.

I'm not clear if you are looking for guide information or fishing spot information. I haven't taken my boat out of deep creek so I can't suggesting spots out of there. What I have found for fishing the salt is, you need to have a large number of spots to choose from, be aware where the fish tend to hold for that time of year, and cover ground when you aren't being productive. I know some folks suggest anchoring up, laying down a scent field, and waiting for the butts to arrive. I've tried that on my own boat w/o much sucess, and have been on one of the larger charter opperators out of Seward who tried that and no one of the 16 folks on the boat was impressed with the results.

What I have found works is if you haven't gotten a bite within 1/2 hour of fishing a spot, move! I may cover 1/2 dozen locals before I get on a bite, I may get on a bite on the first spot. I may get a slow bite at a few different spots. But, no longer will I hang out in unproductive territory. If a spot that produced in the past isn't producing, I'll prospect nearby terrain that should produce, and typically it does.

I'd also suggest fishing the rock piles and pinnacle, your buddies will be catching fish. While a limit of rockfish isn't the same as a couple of nice buts, it sure beats getting skunked. And often times you get a couple of nice lings.

Talking tongue in cheek

so let's see here - you have some buddies from Kalifornia who are going to quit coming to Alaska if we tell don't tell you how to catch more fish....do you know what those people have done to Montana and Colorado? My lips are sealed ...........

How much time are you spending fishing with them? I think that the skunk is harder to achieve here in Alaska when the runs are in than anything else - - keep on trying...good guides don't get skunked very often - or they wouldn't be good guides...and would go out of business.

Research the run timing charts for salmon that the ADFG puts out. You should be in good timing for Reds late June..and the Kings should be in the Kenai then.

Take them clamming - make sure the tide is negative - you can't miss with clamming - good eats and the first few are fun to dig up!

I don't know how big your boat is, but everytime I have went out of deep creek, just head south about 5-7 miles and off shore 2-7 miles and look for drop offs on your fish finder. Spend no more than 1 hour in one spot without a fish and use a chum bag on your anchor line.

I 2nd the move after 45 minutes with no fish unless fishing for HOGS. Be realistic though and use a watch...not I think we have been here for 45-60min. Kenai is tough for kings... need the correct set up....somewhat and spot for sockeye. Take a charter on the salt for a day to catch some fish and then go give a try yourself. Good luck. www.fishwithhill.com

Dang man. That is depressing.

If you want to have a good fishing trip, I suggest taking a few guided trips on different parts of the peninsula, and for a few different species.

Have the guys at Troutfitters in Cooper Landing take you on the Upper Kenai for dollies/bows one day. The float will be fun and fishing should be great. The same guys can do some hike in guided fishing on another day if you are interested. They have a great website.

Have the good folks at Scenic Mountain Air in Moose Pass fly you to Upper or Lower Paradise Lake. This is not guided, just paying them to fly you in/out. Check out their website and contact them for more info. Take beer, steaks, etc... and stay two nights at the state cabin there which comes with a boat for like $45/night. Scenic Mtn Air will rent you a small outboard cheap to go with the boat. This is the only cabin on the lake and the solitude will be welcome to you and your group after fishing on the Kenai in summer. Great grayling fishing in the lake. 100% chance of catching fish. Ha ha..

Have a full day out of Seward for halibut. I used Puffin Charters and they did a great job. Brought back more fish than we could stand to eat. I started a "How to cook Halibut" thread which is in the "Pantry" section now as a sticky. Tons of great ideas there. Processor right there on the dock to filet, freeze, box (or ship) your catch. I would think this would be a 100% success rate day as well.

Good luck man. Sounds like you need some
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by six View Post
    I 2nd the move after 45 minutes with no fish unless fishing for HOGS. Be realistic though and use a watch...not I think we have been here for 45-60min. Kenai is tough for kings... need the correct set up....somewhat and spot for sockeye. Take a charter on the salt for a day to catch some fish and then go give a try yourself. Good luck. www.fishwithhill.com
    And bring a hand held GPS with you.
    This will give you a start. Look at the charts for other spots with the same characteristics in the area.

Grenades. Take a soldier with you but "Accidentially" forget to frisk them.... HMMM I bet you catch some fish.

(This was meant as a joke. No fish were harmed in the making of this post)

Wish I knew more to help you out.

Mike

argg the kenai pen is so overrated as well as crowded that time of year...why not try doin it yourself outings on rivers streams and lakes north of anchorage....jim creek, little su, willow, sheep ( my favorite but alot of river to explore) montana creeks should all be good, plus these are weekend only fisheries for ALL SPECIES, but it is very productive and easy access if your not afraid to hike alittle.....the kings are really peakin in these streams that time of the year... fail proof for nice fat bows and grayling if your into fly fishing, and you can use bait at the mouths of these streams....take your boat out on big lake, long lake ( 86 glenn highway) and troll or mooch for big trout and char and burbot...keep your options open as well as your ears, then take a vote on where you wanna go....crowds are less and even non-existent and the fishing only better the farther up or down stream from the main access points such as bridges and the stream mouth campgrounds...far as homer goes, you guys could have a blast surf casting for flounder, sole, cod, irish lords and a sometimes butts up to 50 lbs from the end of the spit...we have also caught really nice sea run dollies there...just givin you better ideas...also if you want AWESOME catch and release fishing for big rainbows, try long lake in the kepler bradley complex...hike a canoe down or a raft or float tubes and some beer, you got it made....

Oh yes the GPS. I have had a guy pull one out and try to mark each spot. Brave man, but I asked him to put it up or cough up the GPS fee not included in the regular charter price. The dang IPHONE can do the same now...

Hill can i bring a gps on your boat...i got grubs..........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Timing

Quote Originally Posted by btadams1 View Post
    Every year I have some buddies who come up from California to enjoy Alaska. I have only lived here a few years and, although I try to show them a good time, our fishing luck has sucked beyond words. For example we went out of deep creek last year and didn't get so much as a nibble for halibut. We were, I thought, fishing the right tides, we had the 'right' gear etc but got nothing. We have 5 or 6 guys fishing for a week and we might catch one or two fish. We have even gone the Kenai with an experienced guide and caught nothing but a dolly or two. They are coming back on June 27 for a week. I need to do better. Without getting anyones secret spots, does anyone have an idea what I can with these guys here on the Kenai? They might stop coming if I can't get these guys to catch a fish and I have learned that local knowledge is everything. Where to go and what to use makes the difference between nothing and something. Please help me.
    Run timing is something to consider. If you want them to catch some Salmon, July (3rd to 4th week) for Reds on the Kenai is a pretty sure thing. Watch others on how to floss the fish. Silvers out of Seward is a pretty sure thing. If you want a sure thing with guests on Halibut, you should use a guide if you are inexperienced. I've never left deep creek area without a limit of halibut. The first thing I always tell me guests is dont' be afraid to spend some money on guides to learn the ropes. If you really want a sure thing, you can always target the pinks in the Kenai or the Resurrection creek. I promise you will catch all the fish you want if you target the pinks. For someone who is not too picky, the pinks are really a fun time.

For fresh water fishing, get the Highway Angler and pick out a good looking route to fish run-time wise. Talk to the folks fishing there and at the local beer and bait store. Be polite, spend some money and ask for a little guidance (not where but how). I personally think every stretch of water has a different knack to it. Study what folks are doing that are catching fish, try and then try again. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses. I will try again next year. I am trying to avoid guides simply because I don't have the money to take that many guided trips with 2 kids to feed. We are going to troll off Deep Creek, fish for halibut out of Homer and try Tustumena lake. Maybe try the Fox river for pinks (not sure that is possible). Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

Boneyard,

We can do a trade out on numbers. Some of your homer numbers for seward numbers... plus a fancy grub.