Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy bear bait day

Default Happy bear bait day

A seasons greeting for Bear Baiters. I look forward to hearing of all of your exploits, good and bad. Wishing each of you a safe and successful season this spring.

Here's wishing I could get out and set up the station. Still waist deep (or deeper in places) out here. And below freezing so far today. Sigh

Mine's going out tomorrow!

Default Hows the Tanana looking Greg

Please tell me that it's melting fast. Im currently on the slope. I always get my hopes up for April 15, but it always seems I can;t get down river till 2nd week of May. Makes for a short season. Good luck to you and congrates on the wolf!

Default LC, is that you?

You little sissy. Hey, good to hear from you. And if it is not LC, then sorry, you might still be a sissy?
    Chena is breaking up. Friends are saying the Tanana has a few holes, but we/you/they won't be running the Tanana until my guess is May 12. Ok, you heard it hear.

I went flying on sunday. The tanana was still looking really solid. May 12th probably isn't a bad gues.

Default Sissy

Is that just because I had to put a heater in my boat(lol). I'll be home on the 23rd and will have two weeks to get my bait down river, be it snowmachine or boat. I finished up my new boat last time home. Full UHMW on bottom, Espar, GPS, VHF, and smartcraft. The UHMW was a big job but it turned out nice thanks to Mikes guidance. If I get to at least put it in the Chena I'll swing by and let you have a look. LC

Default reg changes

was reading up on the new changes and if I am not mistaken we get to keep baiting until June 30 this year instead of the 15th. Has anyone else seen this or was it a matter of reading through the beer goggles.

We're putting our barrel in tonight, should we bait it or wait a couple weeks? What do you guys think?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I should have clarified that we are in unit 7. Pike place I would put the bait in with the barrel if you can get it there. Never know if you will get a early riser to come along. We are putting ours in this Saturday, usually a bunch of snow still to slog through but every so often we hit a early bear licking his lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    was reading up on the new changes and if I am not mistaken we get to keep baiting until June 30 this year instead of the 15th. Has anyone else seen this or was it a matter of reading through the beer goggles.
    Correct as I understand it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    unless other wise stated... all the reg changes DO NOT take affect until the First of JUlY... YOU are operating under the CURRENT BOOK AS IT READS!!!!!!!!!!!!

you must/should/ contact F&G prior to assuming any changes in the regs are now in effect.

or you can/will be sited...

and DO NOT take the advice of the college kid sitting in the front desk area
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

no doesn't it start the next regulatory year. like the new reg changes don't come into effect until about June 30th of July 1st?

If you read the new regulations, you will note that certain ones are going into effect early and some late. The baiting extention is for the current year, certain changes to hunts already drawn for are not till 2010.

Look at the ADFG website for more info. Read the summaries of the new changes, you will see what I mean.

Angry Bad news

It looks like this will be a repeat of last year.!!! I've been bear baiting in Unit 16 for four year and I had never been as frustrated as i was last year. Went up this morning and their was still at leats four feet of snow!!! About the same amount as last year at this time and i diddnt get my first hit untell May 20th. Know need too spend the time and money to go up there untell the first or second week of may.
    -Casey Marre

Default extended season

I registered my sites. On the bottom for season dates, it states April 15 to June 30. Both are in unit 14. Apparently the commissioner instated the changes for this year, in anticipation of another late breakup.

Yep, the spring baiting season for me (unit 14) was extended to June 30th for this upcoming spring, as in now.

Default Giddy with excitement

Yep, can't hardly stand myself. So much to do, so little time. Even though I won't be putting bait out for a while, I still get to dream about it, and live vicariously through all of your endeavors.
    I have a beer out on snow getting cold. Feel like celebrating right, so guess I'll head to the garage/man cave and read regs, or look at gear, or something equally productive.
    Heck, I might even take apart my new/old Sako Custom built in .358. Not that I'd use if for black bear, but hey, a guy has got to do something to keep busy.
    I know! Maybe I'll go hang my target and fling a few celebratory arrows in the garage.
    Choices. Too many choices. What's a guy to do?
    Fozzy, stop by sometime. I'd like to see that new boat. Hope you keep it off that mud bar on the left hand turn below first cut.

Our stand is here in 14A, so we put our barrel in tonight with some bait, so we'll be patient and see what happens. If we get any hits before May 1, that is just gravy to me
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Our stand is here in 14A, so we put our barrel in tonight with some bait, so we'll be patient and see what happens. If we get any hits before May 1, that is just gravy to me
    Last two years the action always started the first few days of May for me and I'm in unit 14A as well. I bet this year will be sooner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast