Thread: Tanning smell

Default Tanning smell

I just got some hides back and they have that tannery stink on them. Anyone have a suggestion on how to make the smell go away? My wife thanks you in advance!

I have used a taxi for my 6x6 bull elk and it had no smell. However, I tanned the pelt of a deer about 2 yrs ago. Yep it smelled pretty foul. It took time to fade out. My wife insisted I keep the thing in the garage. After a few weeks it dried some more and now has absolutely no odor. Your smelling the chemicals and hide oils, not a tainted hide. You get the same experience with that new car smell and freshly painted walls. Give it some time. If she's like my gal, she welcomes the hides and mounts. I'm sure once it fades, she will have a place on the wall for it.

Put a fan on it and keep the air flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired2017 View Post
    I have used a taxi for my 6x6 bull elk and it had no smell. However, I tanned the pelt of a deer about 2 yrs ago. Yep it smelled pretty foul. It took time to fade out. My wife insisted I keep the thing in the garage. After a few weeks it dried some more and now has absolutely no odor. Your smelling the chemicals and hide oils, not a tainted hide. You get the same experience with that new car smell and freshly painted walls. Give it some time. If she's like my gal, she welcomes the hides and mounts. I'm sure once it fades, she will have a place on the wall for it.

Put a fan on it and keep the air flowing.
    Same experience I had. It'll take a little time, a few weeks. The tannery smell will fade and everything will be fine. My daughter has some of the hides hanging in her bedroom now.

Thanks guys, thats what I figured but this is my first time getting anything back directly. Usually I take it to the taxi. I'll hang them in the garage for awhile and let'em air out.

Default Tanning Smell.

Hi F16-Pointy.
    Try scented Talcom Powder,eventually as stated before, the smell gradually goes,& the powder can be removed if necessary,or it too will disipate.
    liphooked