Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily Denali Hwy Bear Report

Thumbs up Daily Denali Hwy Bear Report

Im the host at the Alipine Creek Lodge (alpinecreeklodge.com), there are two bear dens within sight from the lodge and would like to start a daily report on the activity on the hwy.

This morning there are no signs of bear activity on the hill side, this afternoon I will be taking a snowmaching and looking for activity else where, will post what i find later today, and will be keeping this post updated regularly,

AlpineAce

Sounds good. Thanks

Hey..........this is cool. Grass roots pred control using the internet. Bear sighting reports. Tracks, dens, man, the unit 13 are folks could increase the bear take this way.
    Good idea!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Took a sled out today and got some pictures of the hill side, no bear sign yet but some good news, today its sunny and 42F....beautiful day out should be ANY DAY NOW!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Its now 52F, overcast but still sunny. Still no sign of bear, my next report will be tomorrow morning and am hoping to FIND something soon

AlpineAce

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I will be at the north end of you on saturday..6omiles..... will get a report then too....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Brother in law saw a blackie a couple days ago near pump 2 (dead horse!). Said it looked big, strolling down the pipeline. Air temp was -10F, and tis about 250 miles north of the Brooks. I guess its never too early, or too weird a place, eh?

Sunny today, already 35F and climbing, still no bear sign but am planning to take a ride again today to check out some other areas....will post what I find later today,

AlpineAce

55F and sunny! The snow is melting rapidly, and still no sign on the hillside. I can only imaging at the longest, they would be out in a week, I actually am surprised I have not seen any wake from their dens but its only a matter of days, especially days like this.

Great news everyone!!!!!! Took a snowmachine out today and found three separate bear trails leading from their dens down the mountain side! I noticed they didn't cross the road, obviously I would have seen them, the only reason I can come up with is that snow is depleting rapidly at and near the tops of the mountains but there is still a good amount of snow at the base....I can only think that they came down, started getting into the soft melting snow and crawled right back up to their dens. But it is official they are out and getting hungry!

The pictures are just showing the lack of snow near the tops of the mountains

AlpineAce

So could you crawl down into the dens, and get some measurements, and closeup photos......

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    So could you crawl down into the dens, and get some measurements, and closeup photos......
    Now that would be a report! Good one Hopeak. Thanks to you I just had my first good laugh of the day. Cheers.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default breakfast?

A good host would make some pancakes and deliver them to the dens...
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    BACON....LOTS of Bacon.........

Do you prefer metric or standard?????

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post

I'll do that right after I get measurements...still waiting to see if they want metric or standard????

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post

Default Denali Hwy report?

Ace,

How are things looking up there for bears? I flew some of the area last Friday night and never cut a track.

Quote Originally Posted by elsielake View Post
    Ace,

How are things looking up there for bears? I flew some of the area last Friday night and never cut a track.
    We were up there last weekend and didn't see any bears either. A lot can change in a few days, though. Of course, the snow will be getting rotten as well.

I'm headed north tomorrow morning for a weekend of snow machining but i'll keep my eyes open for dens, tracks, and bears.

Default Denali

i'm heading up Sunday, i'll give GPS coordinates on any bear sign info.... yea right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast