Thread: .375 Ruger load?

Default .375 Ruger load?

For those of you that have worked up loads for the .375 Ruger I have a question for you.

I have the Hawkeye African with the standard barrel.

recently I have worked up my own loads and have noticed great groups, awesome E.S. and S.D., but the velocities are less than expected.

I am using RL15 with the 270 gr TSX, here is my info.

I started at 73.5 gr but had lackluster results in accuracy, I then bumped it up to 74.0 and I saw the groups shrink, but the velocity is not quite what i expected to see.

These numbers are based on 5 shot averages.

74.0 gr seated at 3.12
    Avg. velocity 2667

74.3 gr seated at 3.12
    Avg velocity 2683
    E.S. 11
    S.D. 4

I can push it closer to 2700 when I bump to 74.5, but the point is that I feel like i should already be well over 2700 with my barrel length.

What are your thoughts?

BrentC

I have worked up several loads for my 375 Ruger Alaskan. My guess is that you are using the Barnes manual. If so you're not alone. My results are slower than theirs on several rifles, no worries.

It sounds like you have an accurate load and in my opinion that is more important than an extra 100fps.

However, your load is virtually the same as mine and slower than mine which is slower than Barnes. Your barrel is 3 inches longer and should be shooting the same load faster. Perhaps you may need to check your scale for accurate measure. Your ES and SD numbers look great but your charge may be light.

Another possibility may be your Chronograph. I always set mine 8 feet in front of the muzzle so each test is reading from the same location.

My 270gr TSX test results:

RL-15
    Brass trim 2.571
    CCI 250
    Barnes TSX 270gr
    COL 3.313

72.9gr 2661 avg
    73.2gr 2687 avg, 26fps increase
    73.5gr 2712 avg, 25fps increase, Barnes published max charge???
    73.8gr 2739 avg, 27fps increase, nice group
    74.1gr 2762 avg, 23fps increase, nice group
    74.4gr 2787 avg, 25fps increase
    74.7gr 2803 avg, 16fps increase, primer showing pressure, a little drag on bolt lift, case head measured OK.

Final load:
    74.0gr RL-15
    Brass 2.571
    CCI 250
    COL 3.313
    2756fps

The final load grouped four shots .488 center to center @ 1oo yards. That's as good as I can ever hope to shot so I'm done with this combination.

I checked the scale and it is fine. I may just have a stingy chrono.

It's hard not to use this load becasue it is highly consistent and it's easily 1/2 MOA accurate.

Despite the velocities I highly doubt my Brown Bear will know if he's hit with a TSX going 2680 vs. 2750.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    I checked the scale and it is fine. I may just have a stingy chrono.

It's hard not to use this load becasue it is highly consistent and it's easily 1/2 MOA accurate.

Despite the velocities I highly doubt my Brown Bear will know if he's hit with a TSX going 2680 vs. 2750.
    BrentC,

For what it's worth I sight mine 2.7" high at 100 yards. That will give a max of 3" high at 130 yards and a max of 3" low at 260 yards. A 200 yard zero will hit 2.1" high at 100 with my 270gr TSX load.

I ran your numbers, if their telling you the truth a 200 yard zero would hit 2.3" high at 100 yards. The difference in drop at 300 yards would only be .7", hardly worth considering.

All that trivial stuff aside, I believe your load is moving faster than mine. Perhaps a chrony problem as you mentioned.

I'm glad your 375 Ruger is shooting so well. Mine is getting better as it ages.

Yeah, I was planning to sight it at about 2.5 high at 100.

Heck, I haven't even tried sighting it in yet and makes a nice cluster of huge holes about 1.5" above dead center naturally with this load.

It sounds like 5 clicks up might look something like this. Now I just need to shoot like this in the field
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00397.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    It sounds like 5 clicks up might look something like this. Now I just need to shoot like this in the field
    That does look strikingly familiar.