Thread: CZ Magnum rifle owners, any problems with magazine floorplate openings?

Default CZ Magnum rifle owners, any problems with magazine floorplate openings?

I would like the pick the brains of this very knowledgeable group of experienced shooters on this forum. As some of you know I have been sorting out the bugs in my carry rifle choices for my first Alaska outdoor adventure for Protection only this time I will be fishing and shooting photographs. I own a CZ 550 in .458 Lott, but I have only shot it in limited numbers and on a range so far. I would like feedback from owners of the CZ of any caliber if they have had or heard of any magazine floor plate opening problems. If so, I want to sort that out before taking it in the field for its intended duty.

Hearing my rounds bouncing off of my boots with an angry bear popping his jaws at me would not be a good thing!

I have not had that problem with any of my CZ rifles. The stock on my CZ 550 in .375 H&H did crack from recoil and improper fitting about 40 rounds in. The same rifle also shot 1.5 feet high at 100 yards. I got the problems fixed and got rid of it. It was likely a lemon.

Wow! That is bad news... My rifle has the laminated stock, which should be stronger, but then again the Lott does test it I am sure! I am also glad that your CZ had no floor plate problem. I have not yet on mine, but I did on an older mauser from interarms...

No problems at all and that included 20+ hunts from the Yukon to Africa.
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Default No problems

I put a couple hundred rounds through my 375 before I sold it. No issues around sight regulation, nor floorplates, stocks,.. anything.

Nate

Now that is what I was hoping to hear! 20 hunts without problems is good enough for me...

Thanks Nate! I have a laminated stock, but that doesn't mean it won't crack, but it should be better than their standard wood for strength. Since I am using it for protection as my heavy ... the 458 Lott ... I am more concerned than if I were hunting, although a failure there may be very bad as well...

I've got the same rifle in .458 Lott. Right after I bought it I put cross bolts in and bedded the stock to reinforce it. I've shot probably 2-300 full power loads through it. No problems, shoots to point of aim and the floorplate is rock solid.

I also have crossbolts in my stock. I have not had a floorplate problem, but I have not put many rounds downrange yet. Soon, I will begin to shoot it more, and also my light carry rifle, the Browning model 81 takedown in 450 Marlin. The Lott sights only needed a little windage adjustment for the 50 Yard range. I may take the 200 and 300 meter sight blades off. I accidentally had the 200 blade up and it threw my sights off of course. I do not need that to happen in the field. Plus, I do not need them anyway. I can move the bead around in the V to adjust for 100 yards or so anyway.

Default Photos of my 458 Lott heavy...

Here are two images of my 458 Lott!
    Last edited by Proud American; 08-25-2009 at 11:47.

Actually this is not unusual. I've heard of PH's in Africa requiring duct tape on rifles with hinged floorplates. This eliminates one worry, the last thing one needs is a floorplate dropping open when that Cape Buff didn't go down at the first shot.
    This happened on my Interarms Mark X .458 Win. After about the third time, I drilled and tapped the Mag box and added a flat head screw. It was surprisingly easy and I have not had the problem since.