Thread: Glock 34 Long slide ?

Smile Glock 34 Long slide ?

I am about to get an unported Glock 34 Long Slide, chambered in 9x19 or as we all know it, the 9 mm. Don't worry, I am still a .45 fan, I just want one. The only other Glock I have is the neat little single stack Mod. 36 in .45 ACP. It is going to be carried in a "tactical" holster, as yet to be determined. After market sights will probably be the Heine Straight 8 Slant Pro night sights and since this has the Glock rail I will eventually put some kind of a light on it since none of my current hand guns will take a light and I feel like I am behind the times. I also will give some thought to a 3.5 lb. connector and if I really like it a Bar Sto or Storm Lake barrel. I read about some guy getting over 1500 fps mv out of this pistol with the hot Corbon 115 grain loads. I am more interested in a deep penetrating 124 grain load like the 124 grain Hornaday XTP I shoot out of my custom Browning Hi Power. With the over 6" barrel I should be able to shoot the 124 grain load at close to 1400 fps mv. Any of you shooting this gun? If so what are your thoughts. Not really interested in the great "stopping power" debate, but I am interested in any personal reviews and thoughts on the gun. Since this will naturally be an all black weapon I now have to talk the wife into letting me hang it up in the shower so I can look at it in the morning as I get ready for work, maybe if it was hanging from some fancy rope like her bars of soap?

Default Glock

I have one and love it. The only problems I've ever had were caused by me. I put the cheapest ammo I could find through it. Can't remember the name but it was in a red white and blue box and was about $9 a box. Anyway they were straight lead with no jacket. The first couple went through ok but after about 5 they kept jamming. I sure won't say anything bad about Glock though, garbage ammo. My wife liked it because it was the first semi she could get the slide back on. You are kind of limited on holsters and aftermarket parts though just because they aren't that common. Usually a decent selection of stuff on www.glockmeister.com

Default 3.5# connector

If I recall correctly, 34s come from the factory with the 3.5# connector.

Advertised by Glock with a 4.5 pound pull. I'm not sure about the internal pieces.

http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

Click on models then G34 then technical, pull weight is in there.

I recently bought a 35 and had a smith work it over. All in all it's a nice gun for the price.

If you look at the website for a standard model, like a 17, it lists a 5.5# pull, implying the 34 is a little better.

The connector itself will be marked "-" (a minus symbol), if it is a 3.5#.

I have a model 35 (40 S&W) and love it. Great gun, no question about it. My most accurate pistol.

But I don't consider it a "carry" gun. Recently got a model 27 that I prefer for carry. Perfect for what I was looking for. Holds 10, shoots straight, and easy to conceal. But we all have different thoughts on that of course.

I have heard bad stories from guys who customized their guns. The possibility exist that you could spend several hundred dollars and find that you have a less reliable gun. I wanted to do the upgrades at first, but decided to leave mine bone stock. Glad I did.

Consider spending that money on reloading components or ammo. The extra practice time with the gun will make you a better shooter than the latest and greatest mods. Food for thought anyway.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I have a model 35 (40 S&W) and love it. Great gun, no question about it. My most accurate pistol.

But I don't consider it a "carry" gun. Recently got a model 27 that I prefer for carry. Perfect for what I was looking for. Holds 10, shoots straight, and easy to conceal. But we all have different thoughts on that of course.

I have heard bad stories from guys who customized their guns. The possibility exist that you could spend several hundred dollars and find that you have a less reliable gun. I wanted to do the upgrades at first, but decided to leave mine bone stock. Glad I did.

Consider spending that money on reloading components or ammo. The extra practice time with the gun will make you a better shooter than the latest and greatest mods. Food for thought anyway.
    I agree with your comments about modifications. My G35 is used only for steel matches. I run it in the production class but had a nice trigger job done for quicker shots.

My other hand guns are only slick because of age and oil.

Smile lead bullets in Glock

Glocks are not designed to use anything but a jacketed bullet. Not real sure about the particulars, but the armorer trainers say do not shoot lead bullets. A friend carries the long slide and really likes it.

Smile change of plan/caliber

I ordered the Glock 35 instead. I don't own a .40 S&W and it will have some power with this longer barrel. This will be a house and range pistol. After all, a man must protect his castle. I may attach a light to it once I decide on a holster. Heine Straight 8 Slant Pro Sights and lots of trigger time this summer. Does this mean my 1911 in caliber .45 ACP or custom Browning Hi Power has fell out of favor with me? Never!

Default Sweet gun...

I am sure you will be happy with that gun. Perfect by the bed gun. Also incredibly accurate on the range.

On the light,

I would give some thought to not putting a light on it. Bump in the night, you turn it on, you are now a target. I know, I know, ID the target is safe and I agree. I keep a Surefire by the gun for that if I need the light. But I prefer to keep my bedroom pitch dark. I put some night lights around the perimeter of the rooms on the main level. I hear a bump, I get up, walk to the bedroom door where anything between me and the night lights will be easy to see, yet I am still in the dark. Something to consider anyway.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default your gonna love it

I just bought a glock 30 in 45acp nad love it so far ! It is a carry gun and I dont think I am gonna do anything to it ! well maybe some XS big dot sights !! Maybe not though ? I am not sure wether it matters if I see a large blurry dot or a small blurry dot ??
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !