Thread: 325 WSM vs 358

Default 325 WSM vs 358

Which would be the best for a lightweight rifle that would be hard hitting and accurate out to 250 yards or so? How is the factory ammo availability? And, how about reloading? I have a .308 and a 35 Whelen now. The 35 a little on the heavy side (9 lbs with scope) Mauser action. My 308 is a light weight Ruger 77 synthetic. I can make 35 out of 3006 brass, and I think you can make 358 out of 308 brass? I was thinking bear protection while out hunting moose or caribou.

Default 358 winchester

dixie go with the 358 hands down! yes you can use 308 brass for your 358. I would look at the Ruger 358, stay away from the browning lever, I had one and had problems, so have others that I know. It has been suggested on here that the Browning problem was the owners fault for not keeping it spotless, I disagree, when camping, guideing or hunting, you want a gun that is reliable under all conditions the browning is not. If you go with the 358 you will find yourself useing it more and more! In my mind it is the best cal. there is!

Nice low-blow Yukon,

There are many other members who have spoken just as highly of the BLR and of zero malfunctions. One forum member on the gunsmithing forum having the same issue with his blr even suggested the remedy to fix the problem that you had. But you sold the gun without troubleshooting what was wrong. Well at least we are both fans of the .358 and I agree with your cartridge recommendation.........minus all the negative opinion regarding the BLR. With that said.......the Ruger would be good too, the 77 never seems to fail. Here is a link to a picture I posted of the moose I shot last season with my 358 "BLR" http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48440

Unless you are looking for a new gun I'd say spend a few bucks lightening up your Whelen. It's a superb cartridge for what you want & on a dependable action.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

My Whelen is a custom Mauser with a 24" barrel with wood stock with cheek rest. It kicks lighter than my 308. But it becomes heavy to carry all day. Have a Marlin 4570 but I wanted something with a little more range and accuracy and it kicks like a mule when shooting offhand.

Default Question about brass

Dixie, I know you can neck 308 brass up to 358, (I've heard of guys shooting 2 moa groups with 308 cartridges down a 358 barrel) but my concern is how thin that makes the neck. Obviously, if you take a given amount of brass from a certain diameter, and increase the diameter without increasing the brass, the brass must be thinner after the increase. I prefer to work with brass made for the .358. I think it gives me more reloads, and I like the feeling of working with a case that I know was made for that particular caliber. Just MHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Dude View Post
    My Whelen is a custom Mauser with a 24" barrel with wood stock with cheek rest. It kicks lighter than my 308. But it becomes heavy to carry all day.
    I stuck a nice synthetic stock on my 358 Norma Mag (Also a 24" barreled '98) & dropped just over a pound.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default 358

sorry mainer no low blow meant! I did trouble shoot the blr though, i loved the way it handled and shot. I have 2 friends and between them they own a good arsenal of blrs old ones and new. The older style with the round bolt doesnt seem to have the problems as the new ones with the fluted type bolt. All I know is myself and others I know had problems and with so many good guns out there i wont spend money on problem ones!

There is no problem in necking up the 308 to 358 or '06 up to Whelen. Do it all the time. J.

Here are some links to articles regarding the 358 Winchester, and rifles chambered in 358 Winchester, hope this helps:

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...gs=pagenum%3D2

http://www.gunblast.com/Browning-BLR358.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rebarreling_358_rifle.htm

http://cpcartridge.com/cart2/index.p...dex&cPath=1_76
    (these guys push top velocities in their cartridges)

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/cs/Sat...gs=pagenum%3D1
    (one of my favorite articles, I still have that issue of G&A)

I will say also, put your Whelen on a diet. That is a fine round and a Mauser action to boot, nothing but good stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    I will say also, put your Whelen on a diet. That is a fine round and a Mauser action to boot, nothing but good stuff there.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!! IMHO the 35 whelen is one of the best hunting cartridges out there. I have one in a Ruger #1 and I absolutely love it. I mostly use barnes 225gr tsx's and 225gr sierra game kings and is more than accurate enough. I sight in 3" high at 100, hits dead on @200, and 8" low @300. I get 2700-2750fps out of both loads. 338WM- I completely agree, lighten up the whelen.......

I buy new 358win brass from MIDWAY USA every year .

If you want a smaller better handling rifle get the 358win and in the case of the ruger with its 22" barel you can cut it down to 20-21 if its needed.

Mine is a rem 700 with a shilen 20.5 " barrel and it handles real nice. I think the 225 sierra and partition (2430fps)are all you would need for hunting and as a defence maybe 250grainer at 2300fps would be better yet.

Default Negative posts....

OT sorry but,

If I post a question I would like all opinions both + and - that way I can consider all aspects of a response. I thought yukon's post was very tactful and like most posts opinion based. But hey thats OK!

Sorry for the OT post.

Jake

You're getting lots of advice here but I am wondering why you picked those two calibers to compare. The 358 Win and the 325 WSM are not in the same category, the are just the same length. Certainly both aare good calibers but your question is about rifles not calibers??

A valid concern is the availability of ammo but neither of these will be available in very many places. The 358 was almost forgotten until here recently when rifle makers started chambering for it again and the 325 is still unheard of by many store clerks.

Also you mentioned 250 yards as a reach out range, quite reasonable and the 325 will deliver 200 to 220 grains at that distance with much more killing power than the 358 Win. The accuracy requirement will be more a product of the rifle than the cartridge but either would be better than required.

If you want a good accurate light weight rifle a Kimber Montana at least in theory would be a very good rifle. They also have had some problems but they are a very nice balanced package fior the 325 WSM if you can get the kinks ironed out. The 325 would be a poor choice if you want to cut the barrel to 20", the 358 will be fine at that length or even 18".

Your Whelen is much too heavy, I wouldn't want my 416 to be that heavy, there is no need with a mild recoiler such as the 35 Whelen. Seven pounds in a 35 Whelen total would be a nice weight.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks for all the responses.

1) I wanted a light rifle with a larger diameter than the 30-06 or 308.

2) I read the posts about the 325 WSM and I have read elsewhere about the virtues of the 358.

3) My 308 is only about 7 lbs scoped. My 35 Whelen is 9 lbs scoped and a 24" barrel.

4) I was thinking about a lightweight rifle with enough power to use in bear country, but still be good enough for moose, elk, and even deer.

I have a 30-06 Mauser also, but it too is about 7-8 lbs scoped, haven't weighed it. When I go out deer hunting I always grab my 308 Ruger synthetic or my 308 BLR. Both are short and lightweight but give me range. I just thought a 325 or a 358 would be better in bear country and have better range than a my 45-70. I could probably take off the wood stock and get a synthetic stock to try to lighten my Whelen, maybe get a lighter scope. I have a 3x9 Nikon on it now. The 24" barrel is not a heavy barrel varmit type barrel, but is thicker than the thin Ruger 308 barrel. It is accurate though and doesn't kick, but 9lbs gets heavy for a carry around rifle.

There's always the Kimber 84M in .338 Federal for a super lightweight package and a larger diameter bullet. Again like Murphy said, availability is limited and its future will be determined by how well recieved the cartridge is. Nice rifle though and plenty light. Its offered in blued/wood, ss/syn and new this year ss/wood.

I really like the idea of the .358 though as an all around cartridge with some history and uniqueness. Couldn't you buy any .308 on the market and rebarrel with a .358 barrel without any problems? If so, you could just take in your already light .308 and have a good quality .358 barrel put on for much cheaper than a new rifle.

I'm sure someone else who knows the ins and outs can chime in with feasibility on this.

Abe

Sounds like you need a 350 rem. mag.

358Win, 225gr at 2480fps and 300yds is very, I mean very do able, I know, just tested my M77 Ruger Hawkeye which is with scope 8.3 pounds, at 300yds and it is easy to hit at that range. Bigger hole than the 325, and the 358Win is very, very accurate. 358Win hands down.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS