Thread: Sks upgrade opinion

Default Sks upgrade opinion

I am toying with the idea of ordering a synthetic stock with a colapsable butt for my Yugo 59/66. My reasoning is this. I have a Springfield Standard M1A for my tactical rifle in wooded and open areas. In urban areas it is just too long of a gun. I dont have the money to buy an M-4 and was looking to try to shorten up my sks and make it more of an up close tactical gun. I have heard rumors that once you start upgrading them they have a tendancy to start jamming. That gun has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger from the day I bought it and I do not want to risk that reliability. In reguards to that rumor I heard that most of the jam problems come from changing out the magazines over to one of those 30 rd high caps and not the stocks. Anyone out there have any experience doing the same thing?
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

No problems with mine after doing that. If a firearm jams because of a magazine change, look to the magazine as the fault, not the firearm. Some manufacturers produce unreliable mags, find what works in your rifle and avoid those that don't .

From what i hear, the tapco stock set is probably the best one available for the sks. I could be wrong since i'm an ar person though.

Still, its worth a shot to look at.

I don't remember much about it as semi-autos are not of much interest to me, but there may be some legal issues with changing parts. If what I was told is correct if you change one part then you need at least 6 parts to also be American made. It might be worth looking into before buying parts.

I have a Tapco and love it. I bought mine direct from Tapco but not sure if they still do that. Cabelas and Able's Ammo both carry them.

Thing about it is, the SKS is still gonna be pretty long and forward heavy even with a shorter stock. You should really check out Survivors SKS boards forum and see what other people have done to their SKS's. Have you considered shortening the barrel?

The thing that I love about the SKS is that it is cheap enough that you CAN modify the heck out of it, and if it don't come out perfect oh well life goes on. I have actually modded mine so I can use removable mags with the bolt closed. You can machine off the little lips on the bottom of the carrier and it will function fine. There is more about that mod on the SKS boards though.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by bandhmo View Post
    I don't remember much about it as semi-autos are not of much interest to me, but there may be some legal issues with changing parts. If what I was told is correct if you change one part then you need at least 6 parts to also be American made. It might be worth looking into before buying parts.
    The only way that works is if it was a "banned" rifle in the first place. If it was imported in the early 90's chances are it is... If it came in before that chances are it isn't. The Norinco MAK 90 is a good example of this. Before the ban they were called Polytech's but after the ban they stamped MAK 90 on the side and imported them as sporting rifles with thumbhole stocks.

If you have a pre-ban gun, you can hang whatever stock you want off of it!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)