Thread: Sprung Bears.

Default Sprung Bears.

Good morning.

Took a ride yesterday, with the wife and I doubled up, and we had a good time.
    Weve been in Kotzebue since Monday morn, fishing and hunting with no kids, and its been good

Weve been pulling up Sheefish in nice but not notable numbers, on Kobuk Lake, and we want to try the Noatak Mouth in this day or tomarrow....... and with the wind up and nippy today, so I suggested we catch some Caribou for trade,insted, as the gas situation can always be improved.
    We found Caribou easily enough, and watched them for a few minutes before the wife pointed out a nice "Shiny" ball moving off in the distance.....a nice Brown Bear!!! Ohhh ya...., but apon closer inspection , she was following her cub, about 20 feet ahead of her and moving at "Cub " speed. We easily caught up and when I shut off the machine, we were situated above her onthe crest of the hill alongside the lake they were crossing, moving away, at first at a trot. Funny this is the Sow followed the cub, as he circled back to us (its a round lake) and soon enough she gained speed and put herself at a standstill between the cub, Who had turned around once mom had bowled him over passing him and us above on the top 50 yards away...LOL!!
    Well, she had a good 10 seconds of sizing us up sniffing and bobbing her head, with out a single grunt or Pop......and turned around and ran up to her cub and kept on going, the cub struggling to keep up.......so we sized up our first Brown this year.
    Funnily enough, there were "Polar Bear " tracks reported near our grounds, a couple days earlier........so Im thinking she had her den nearby.

With that encounter over we wanted to get returned to our "bunch" and resumed out 15mph persuite, to find them, as driving fast and looking around is not a good combo, so we just putt'd along.....
    We found them a mile or so North than they were 1/2 hour earlier, and grazing, but they took note of us, and left in a line.
    They trotted into a system of lakes and small hills that we easily took the highground on and shot them down as the appeard coming out a creek bottom.
    I dropped two and the wife one, and it was a fat one she dropped at that. Im gonna send it collect to a pard in Anchorage who keeps asking.
    The hides are usless with slipping hairs and massive warbel flys in the skin, but the meat is fine.
    I was offered several box's of12 gauge #2's in trade, and I may take it up, as Geese and the like are comming soon at a pond near me..
    Skinned, gutted and on Kotzebues Front Street, where we stay by the post office, for later today, after coffee.
    Maby some Forum lurkers here in OTZ has Xtra gas to trade?? ~~LOL!!~~ just kidding.
    Well, nothing more than an average day in the life.

Looks like the big change over is apon us....For me, the Bears have and the Weather has "Sprung"
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Nice

Thats a great story!

Any pic's
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Sorry , no picts.

I cant find the camera, so I didnt bring it..

Who wants a pict of three more dead Caribou or another Bear?? Or a picture of the debatable ***** Shot or the massive blow out from ***** ammo I use, or the controversy that will evolve??? ~~LOL!!~~ .... and you know I shot them because *****.

Well, I figured with so many "Sightins" Id slip in my own, as it happend.

I cant write or spell for crap, so I'm just sticking with the truth....its hard to screw that up, but I'm sure theres a way. Im sure Ive killed this thread already...I'm getting a knack for that~LOL!!~~

I need another cup of coffee....or three.....

spent the last week working out near Red Dog and saw two bears running around the drainages near there. they were both typically scared of the helicopter at first, but one of them chased it the second time we flew over...not a great feeling when they're half a mile from your work site

You shot a sow with a cub? is that correct?.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ......................really?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy907 View Post
    You shot a sow with a cub? is that correct?.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ......................really?
    Randy,

He watched the sow and returned to a caribou hunt. At least I think that's what he's saying...

?
    I sized up the sow and her cub was all..... Didnt know she had a cub untill we got closer.
    We looked, she looked back, we went our ways.....me and the wife went hunting and the Sow and cub went Northwest.

No Bears were hurt in the making of this encounter.

stranger, if you get my PM before midnight - email me at mcmasterjeremy@yahoo.com if interested.

thanks